Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Here's a little special something, got in anticipation for a special something in the near future :pac:

I was going to say guess what she is but dgt will happen to log on and get it instantly :p

305296.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I know what you're up ta! ;)

I know what you're up ta! ;)

Yes you do :D Well it's for that, should see me with a safe 400 somethings and good enough response also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

YbFocus wrote: »
    Here's a little special something, got in anticipation for a special something in the near future :pac:

I was going to say guess what she is but dgt will happen to log on and get it instantly :p

305296.jpg

Super air conditioning?

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Super air conditioning?

God damn it I knew someone would come along and get it straight away :(
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvzQCXzkyl1IszOE-Ly-pTDjiW9wO23EUFD6idBZg77zB6K1tC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

replaced the buttons on the key today. One fell out a few weeks ago.
    Also replaced the fog lamps in the car as they were full with water.

I'm playing detective here :D is your car an Avensis???? The Gfs Avensis keys have missing buttons and I'm wondering where to get replacement ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Right you are Detective.

Here is where I got them and they were cheap but do the job grand. I had only one button after falling out so I had to cut the others out of the key before putting this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

For some reason Honda make their Civic dashboards with this anti-glare coating that attracts scratches just by people looking at it. Here's what it looked like yesterday:

DExvjD7.jpg

Can't say that does anything for me. It's not too bad from face on but from any sort of angle it looks terrible. So, armed with some Poorboys Swirl Remover 2.5 and two minutes work:

Y7iRZ2H.jpg

All the anti-glare has come off but there's not really enough sunlight in this country to warrant it, plus that's only the rev counter under there.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice quick arrival from China. The seller told me that it wouldnt work because its LHD, and mines RHD. I took him too seriously.
    IMAG1153.jpg

The connector looked a bit different, and didnt pop in straight away so I decided to rip it all apart and see could just swap some parts. Stupid idea. Long story short, the connector blocks are the same fit, just some cosmetic differences, and the wing mirror demister is on the right for the US.

Different internals (Euro on top, US on bottom)
    IMAG1152.jpg

BEFORE:
    IMAG1147.jpg
    AFTER:
    IMAG1156.jpg

Plug it in, checked the left mirror, checked the right mirror. All good.

Couldnt get the boot and fuel release switches off. May have to remove the door card. Ugh. Certainly not doing that in the tight confines of the underground, and not outside in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Are the parts from China spurious ? I know back in the days when i was ordering mk4 golf/bora parts anything coming from China was spurious and to be avoided.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Are the parts from China spurious ? I know back in the days when i was ordering mk4 golf/bora parts anything coming from China was spurious and to be avoided.

So far ive ordered the following:
    Footwell lights kit - ebay
    Chrome Pedals - alixpress
    Window switches - aliexpress
    Mirror switch - aliexpress
    Boot/fuel switch - aliexpress

Only thing that failed me was the LHD accelerator pedal. Its the wrong shape.
    Switches fit perfectly so far. only the boot release left to do. Id get these off a breakers if I could, but their tough to come by, and the one time I did come across some, I was too annoyed to bother with them. (Drove up north to see a leather interior, car was soaked, interior ruined. It had the switches, but they too were probably corroded).

Today I finally got my hands on a set of interlagos alloys, and wrapped them in Uniroyal Rainsport 3s. Im poor now.

BEFORE:
    IMAG0416.jpg

AFTER:
    IMAG1158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tis alloy season indeed :D

Huge improvement, they look real nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Tis alloy season indeed :D

Huge improvement, they look real nice :D

I started that trend :pac: way back in march, I had to tie an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time..........

Im currently plylining the van. By god the curves and angles. Needed a break. Wine time

20140503_213513_resized.jpg

Delighted with it. Not bad for a plumber. Now just need to fill it with ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

This beauty stopped by today to get a Dension 500S BT installed, music streaming, BT handsfree

Did not get the chance to get final pictures taken. Might in the next few days.

Convertible 911 4s

DSC_1130.JPG

Full dash view

DSC_1132.JPG

Taken out the trim to remove the radio

DSC_1133.JPG

Microphone installed

DSC_1139.JPG

Fibre optic spaghetti

DSC_1141.JPG

Power wires in place hooked securely to the original radio power wires.
    Nothing was cut. Can remove everything without affecting the car/radio.

DSC_1145.JPG

After many hours and much cursing... Oil Service done

Some shenanigans. Discovered after dumping all my oil out that there wasn't a hope in hell of using anything but a 36mm socket to get off the oil filter housing due to where it is in the M47. At 5:30. That was fun. Take note anyone with a 320d!

Then for anyone that has serviced these before, knows about THAT one air filter housing at the back of the engine that will not go on no matter what you do. I swear that one bolt cost me an hour.

Didn't take any pics of the work, I was A) using the phone to listen to iRadio, and B) too busy cursing :D

Here's the old shít that came out of it though

YcSvAVi.jpg
    GctaVCb.jpg

Old oil vs new.
    q6Mmpll.jpg

Then this happened:
    KS3WnGZ.jpg
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I do remember conzy having an easy time servicing your car THAT time you were almost dead :D Horses for courses I suppose! :pac:

I do remember conzy having an easy time servicing your car THAT time you were almost dead :D Horses for courses I suppose! :pac:

You do in my bollix :D I remember the two of ye cursed my car for days after that.

His own was easy, ye had to take the engine apart on mine to do the air filter :D

And that was his own fault from the night before!!! :p

• Advertisement

Final pictures of the Porsche 997 4S for those who followed

DSC_1169.JPG
    DSC_1170.JPG
    DSC_1172.JPG

Some flashing performed at the week in order to bring all the individual modules to the latest software version
    Makes a big difference most of the time in terms of engine smoothness, gear changes etc. Fixes newer phone connectivity issues to the original BT module too.

e92 325i

DSC_1127.JPG

M5

DSC_1160.JPG
    DSC_1165.JPG
    DSC_1167.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I'm going to wrap part of the centre console in a gloss black finish, haven't even ordered the stuff yet.
    Most normal people would take the part off when it arrives, but not me, wanted to measure it properly. And I'm not putting it back on again until the wrap comes. I know I'll end up breaking something if I keep messing with it.
    So I'll be driving like this for the week!
    Will report back when I do it!

2nit9gi.jpg

2ziyalf.jpg

Edit: My camera is shít compared to bmstuff's :(

Reset the service indicator, I forgot to after the service :D

Also made a realization linked to the service, more specifically the woes I had trying to get that one bolt on the air filter housing. I had been having a strong enough smell of exhaust fumes on start up / cold starts in particular, put it down to the flexi in the downpipe going as it's pretty common in these. Since the service though, there hasn't been any at all.

I finally put 2+2 and copped on that what was happening was because the air filter housing wasn't secure (back bolt wasn't even threaded in the hole) when I took it off, there was no tight seal and the stuff being recirculated by the EGR was escaping out right near the back of the engine (beside the cabin filter), and leaking straight into the cabin.

Result: No more exhaust stink in the cabin, and the car is actually getting up to temp much quicker :) All over 1 fecking bolt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

greased the doors and the seat rollers in the car today
    also replaced the plastic surround on the interior light as it was damaged while moving house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

After almost exactly 2 years of ownership, I've finally ordered a replacement parking sensor. I may actually have working sensors for the first time ever now!

After almost exactly 2 years of ownership, I've finally ordered a replacement parking sensor. I may actually have working sensors for the first time ever now!

May as well sell it now sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I was finished work early so changed the oil and filter in the passat. Really easy job done in 20mins. But i lost the fuel filter somewhere from the garage and home raging over it

I ordered mine for the new van.

and I wired the gps and the phone battery charger to the battery so no wires all over the place. And they both stay on all the time so always a battery ready for the phone and gps stays on sleep so no ages starting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Temp alloys until mine are done...

10169203_10202944125377659_8003448226486481463_n.jpg

Advertisement