Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm going to wrap part of the centre console in a gloss black finish, haven't even ordered the stuff yet.

I would be very tempted to try a spray on wrap there especially with the piece out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

tossy wrote: »
    I would be very tempted to try a spray on wrap there especially with the piece out of the car.

Well it's ordered now anyway, should be here today, could be tomorrow though. Does the spray set in a manor that it can be peeled off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well it's ordered now anyway, should be here today, could be tomorrow though. Does the spray set in a manor that it can be peeled off again?

Yes I think it does. Somebody on here posted a video of them peeling it off their alloy wheels.

Yes, peels off if you don't like it. I've wrapped a few bits and pieces and the part where it curves up and past the gear gator opening is going to be tough to do i think.

Ahh I'll give it a bash anyway :) I don't know much about vinyl wrapping, but if you put the hairdryer on it, doesn't it make it more flexible for bends and the likes?

• Advertisement

Hair dryer isn't worth a toss really, you need a heat gun. Best piece of advice i can give is pre heating...

Take the piece you are going to use and gently heat it while stretching it out, might need a second pair of hands. Hold it in the stretched position until it cools - then it will stayed stretched, peel of the backing and wrap your piece of trim, then while wrapping the corners and tricky bits if you apply heat again the vinyl will shrink to it's original size and hug the corners.

Hope that makes sense.

Have you a name or link for this magical stuff? I've a bit of akward wrapping to do and this might be the best option

Edit: Never mind. I found it. Plasti dip aeresol wrap. Didn't think this stuff peeled off. Nice one

Have you a name or link for this magical stuff? I've a bit of akward wrapping to do and this might be the best option

Edit: Never mind. I found it. Plasti dip aeresol wrap. Didn't think this stuff peeled off. Nice one

That's the stuff, i did the lower grilles on my front bumper and used this stuff after seeing it in the flesh at a car show, i found it great.

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/cardipuk/aerosol-dips----regular---pearl-or-metallic-12-c.asp

That's the stuff, i did the lower grilles on my front bumper and used this stuff after seeing it in the flesh at a car show, i found it great.

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/cardipuk/aerosol-dips----regular---pearl-or-metallic-12-c.asp

The only appealing colour available is gun metal grey and even that's barely appealing. My interior is very dark and want to kind of break it up. Might chance the grey on a few bits of trim and see what happens

The only appealing colour available is gun metal grey and even that's barely appealing. My interior is very dark and want to kind of break it up. Might chance the grey on a few bits of trim and see what happens

What colour is your interior ? Any pics? you would definitely need to remove the bits to do them, spraying inside the car would be a masking tap logistical nightmare lol, plus your car would smell like paint for months.

• Advertisement

What colour is your interior ? Any pics? you would definitely need to remove the bits to do them, spraying inside the car would be a masking tap logistical nightmare lol, plus your car would smell like paint for months.

Don't have a pic of it but its the same as this. http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/57321186.jpg

Oh I'd definitely remove the trim! I wouldn't dream of using spray paint in the car

Less is more anyway i reckon gunmetal grey on a few select bits would freshen things up .If it was me i would do the headlight switch surround, the gear stick surround, that wood bit over the glovebox and maybe the trims on the doors.

One thing i will say is even doing bits in black will make them look like new pieces, the grilles on my bumper looked factory fresh after doing them.

Less is more anyway i reckon gunmetal grey on a few select bits would freshen things up .If it was me i would do the headlight switch surround, the gear stick surround, that wood bit over the glovebox and maybe the trims on the doors.

One thing i will say is even doing bits in black will make them look like new pieces, the grilles on my bumper looked factory fresh after doing them.

You read my mind. Those are exactly what I had planned. I'll see how the grey goes first. If its crap I'll just peel it off and try something else.

Oh God. I've another idea for that stuff. I was down in my mothers mobile home in Kerry at the weekend and she commented how ugly and dated the brown aluminium windows on it are...and she's right. Now they are in perfect condition and she is contemplating changing them to white PVC. Waste of money for something that is only used in the summer months IMO. Plasti dipping window frames.......hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Picked up the 7 from Lester Engineering today after the wheel refurb, got them to pop the new rubber on too. Have to say the Vreds are the best looking tyre i've seen to date, they look the business. Pleased with the results as the wheels and tyres were in rag order.

Not a perfect job all the same, some paint chipping around the center caps (shouldn't be visible when the new caps go in) and there's a tiny bit of rash still on the rear left, not sure how that happened. Pics are a bit iffy as I was loosing light but not bad:

1_zps20941825.jpg

2_zpsa64d30a3.jpg

3_zps72e4d5ae.jpg

9_zpsb22bb617.jpg

4_zps1ab8486d.jpg

5_zpscff57703.jpg

That's some good camber:
    6_zps6a683b1a.jpg

Doesn't look it, but that's a 275:
    7_zpsd40c69db.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Nice little 525d popped down today for a front speakers upgrade.
    The lack of tweeters and the poor performance of the midrange speakers do really ruin a very nice car all around.

DSC_1196.JPG

General interior shot

DSC_1197.JPG

No tweeters from factory. Very poor music experience.
    New covers had to be purchased.

DSC_1198.JPG
    DSC_1200.JPG

New Gladen speakers going into their new grills.

DSC_1202.JPG
    DSC_1203.JPG

Changing the midrange speakers along with sound deadening and crossovers

DSC_1206.JPG
    DSC_1209.JPG

Doors finished. Plays a lot nicer now. Much more details. Really make your journeys more enjoyable.

DSC_1210.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Amazing that a premium car can have such a serious omission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Amazing that a premium car can have such a serious omission.

But it's ireland.....The alloys alone were probably an upgrade :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

BMW are renowned for crappy audio unless serious bucks are parted with on purchase. No tweeters in the front is particularly diabolical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

But it's ireland.....The alloys alone were probably an upgrade :rolleyes:

In fairness, there's no such thing as a BMW hubcap for modern models.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there's no such thing as a BMW hubcap for modern models.

I know, but y'know...the sarcasm and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I know, but y'know...the sarcasm and so on

The sarcasm is :pac: .... not :rolleyes:

:P

The sarcasm is :pac: .... not :rolleyes:

:P

Me and you need to have a serious talk about the use of smilies :P

I hope the :pac: doesn't mean sarcasm, if that's the case, everything I say is sarcastic! I use it more as an "aha" or "lol" substitute....

I hope the :pac: doesn't mean sarcasm, if that's the case, everything I say is sarcastic! I use it more as an "aha" or "lol" substitute....

Exactly!

In things i done to my car today, i fixed the dodgy rear number plate holder, there's plastic screws wedged into the fecker so i need to get them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

ordered THIS THING .... with 91 % discount .. fingers crossed i will receive til the end of this year ( happy Christmas thing :D ) and it'll work :pac:

Mar4ix wrote: »
    ordered THIS THING .... with 91 % discount .. fingers crossed i will receive til the end of this year ( happy Christmas thing :D ) and it'll work :pac:

Never heard of eBay UK? ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1080+car+camer&_nkw=1080+car+camera&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

bmstuff wrote: »

did hear about that, but every item ( from your link) originating from China ish area, so i am not sure i did wrong choice ... couldnt resist 91 % discount ( if that real .. or just marketing thing to attract costumers ) ... :pac:

will give a feedback when will receive.

p.s. decided to get that thing, as lately feel very dangerous on roads, think that camera will give me chance review of different situation, when will be needed... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Can't say I knew that!
    Really well illustrated by the fuel additive bottle.
    Didn't think this deserved its own thread, but might save people making a mess under the bonnet.

• Advertisement

Doing a full software upgrade to this baby this morning.
    Smoother running, nicer and quicker iDrive, better fuel economy.

Car was never flashed since new. Quiet a few updates since.

DSC_1212.JPG
    DSC_1213.JPG
    DSC_1216.JPG
    DSC_1218.JPG
    DSC_1220.JPG
    DSC_1224.JPG

Advertisement