Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

"I have come to rape, pillage, kill..........and set up your new iDrive system" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

"I have come to rape, pillage, kill..........and set up your new iDrive system" :D

I proposed an idrive retrofit on their boats so they don't need to use the sun and the moon stone anymore. Still waiting to hear back.
    Was great fun anyway meet some genuine guys and actors. Some flew in from abroad just for today and flew back this evening. Spent time with a member of the staff got great stories too about filming and the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BMW don't have great form when it comes to Vikings
    LanceLaCerte-CD.jpg

Not true Colm! Didn't the give MG/Rover the best diesel engine they ever had?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Time to get the spare wheel sorted. After the refurb of my wheels and this spare 19", they didn't re-install the spare tyre as it was in shíte, I hadn't even noticed.

tyre1_zps23ae7ed2.jpg

Picked up this Pzero Rosso on Adverts last week, brand new, €120! They're €240-€260 new, bargain! Pirelli for less than the price of a crappy Nanking.

tyre2_zps71b962fa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Great tyre man but they just melt on the e60!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Aye you're right, had them before on my E38 and they were quite soft, how many miles do you get from them? Hopefully don't plan on using this one ever!

Very poor in fairness about 10-12k on the rear. Great while they lasted though so I suppose that's the payoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

YbFocus wrote: »
    Very poor in fairness about 10-12k on the rear. Great while they lasted though so I suppose that's the payoff!

10-12k on what size of tyre?

tossy wrote: »
    10-12k on what size of tyre?

255-35-19 Tossy.

• Advertisement

I'm getting the same from Goodyear Eagle F1's on the rear.

255-35-19 Tossy.

that's great mileage from a 19" tyre dude.

that's great mileage from a 19" tyre dude.

Why is that man? I would have resumed because of the larger rolling radius that there would be less wear?
    What factor am I missing here?

The Federals I have on the rear have passed 20k now and aren't half way I'd reckon! Everyone says they are crap but I'm finding the grip fine!

Why is that man? I would have resumed because of the larger rolling radius that there would be less wear?
    What factor am I missing here?

The Federals I have on the rear have passed 20k now and aren't half way I'd reckon! Everyone says they are crap but I'm finding the grip fine!

Generally the lower the profile the quicker the wear, the smaller sidewall lessens the tyres ability to dissipate heat as easy plus most low profile tyres are performance tyres so are a softer compound. I wouldn't be complaining about anything over 11k from a 19" tyre though. i used to only get 10/11k out of the old GSD3 F1's in an 18" size, the newer F1's seem to be lasting longer all on cars with 'lift' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Generally the lower the profile the quicker the wear, the smaller sidewall lessens the tyres ability to dissipate heat as easy plus most low profile tyres are performance tyres so are a softer compound. I wouldn't be complaining about anything over 11k from a 19" tyre though. i used to only get 10/11k out of the old GSD3 F1's in an 18" size, the newer F1's seem to be lasting longer all on cars with 'lift' lol

Complete horse.

a lower profile tires have less flex so will have more tear in acceleration/braking and cornering so wear faster. Size has nothing to do with performance or not, equally there plenty of **** tires in that size

bigger tires are fitted standard to more powerful cars to take the force. More force more wear.

eg I get 2k miles out of Bridgestone tires on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Had to give the old bus a bit of a birthday, New O/S driveshaft, Both front Droplinks and the N/S tie rod end.
    Followed that up with the front bushing on the rear control arm, what a bastard of a job! bushing in the hub seized to the bolt.
    Cut the head off it and had to press it out.
    Top bolt was fine.
    Oil and filter change to top it off.Mobil Delvac 1400 great stuff for old diesels.
    Running well now with way less turbo noise than the old Total oil before.

So I snapped my second spare to the car (I've 3 keys in total) trying to straighten it because it was a bit bent. No biggie, was going to just bin it and cope with the 2 keys as most people do.

Then I said I'd try something which I thought was impossible due to the type of housing. But another website proved me wrong.

I turned this:

IMG_20140521_011414.jpg

into this:

IMG_20140521_145847.jpg

I stared by shaving off the sides of the old key down to the hard inner casing with a stanley knife:

IMG_20140521_011428.jpg

That uncovered this:

IMG_20140521_011716.jpg

Yup, that's the transponder chip which seems to be made of glass.

I got this off Ebay for €15:

IMG_20140521_012215.jpg

did this too it:

IMG_20140521_013242.jpg

and placed the transponder chip here:

IMG_20140521_013317.jpg

I never took pics of taking apart my spare fob and putting the guts of it into the new housing but that was the next step and it worked a treat.

I reassembled the unit, took a trip to the Lock Doctor and voila:

IMG_20140521_145847.jpg

Total cost to have a 3rd key again, with the added bonus of it being a flip key, €35. Yes, getting the key cut actually cost more than the key itself and yes...IT WORKS!

:D

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Complete horse.

a lower profile tires have less flex so will have more tear in acceleration/braking and cornering so wear faster. Size has nothing to do with performance or not, equally there plenty of **** tires in that size

bigger tires are fitted standard to more powerful cars to take the force. More force more wear.

eg I get 2k miles out of Bridgestone tires on the bike.

I stopped reading after 'complete horse' so missed any valid points you might have made,we are all regulars around here so out of respect we tend not to start posts with 'complete' or 'utter' :)

Fair point. Apologies

Tonight I ordered from micksgarage:

- Fuel Filter
    - Air Filter
    - Oil Filter
    - 4 x spark plugs

Setting myself up for some work on the June bank holiday!

• Advertisement

I stopped reading after 'complete horse' so missed any valid points you might have made,we are all regulars around here so out of respect we tend not to start posts with 'complete' or 'utter' :)

Complete and utter sh!te!!!

:pac:

Complete and utter sh!te!!!

:pac:

:D

Dónal wrote: »
    Tonight I ordered from micksgarage:

- Fuel Filter
    - Air Filter
    - Oil Filter
    - 4 x spark plugs

Setting myself up for some work on the June bank holiday!

Have to do the same job myself but have the parts bar 4 out of the 5 plugs needed. Accidenaly ordered 1 plug instead of 5 in a moment of stupidity. Thanks for the reminder actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

All of a sudden I was getting an awful whine from the C5 that synced with the current revs. Noise was pin pointed to the turbo by my brother :/ Thankfully I noticed the air intake was loose by half an inch so I put it back in but the whine remained. Looked closer to see the seal itself was nearlyb tore in half! See below:

AL2Ssgt.jpg

The replacement on the right was only €12 from eBay with shipping from Drogheda so I promptly swapped it out and the noise it gone :) Took LIGHTNING's advice to check the turbine / wheel for play and there's none at all, relief!

Also changed both rear brake lights, gloves on this time so hopefully they won't blow so quick. Car is 3.5K miles off its due service but might get it done earlier since I've put 8000 miles on her since October ;)

Common enough problem. I went oem and paid 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Common enough problem. I went oem and paid 30 euro

Would you not have went aftermarket so :pac:

Interslice wrote: »
    Would you not have went aftermarket so :pac:

Cos I couldn't wait for online to come and if mine took 70k klms to go I think oem would be fine for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I finally got around to deep cleaning my seats with the numatic gve370. I taught my seats were in reasonable condition to begin with, but after one pass I could see what was being extracted from them. They now look amazingly clean, but are a little damp so I will have to sort that with my dehumidifier.

It took me an hour just to do the front and back seats. I still have to carpets and mats to do. The waste water was filthy after using it. I would highly recommend this machine if considering buying one. It cost just a bit over €200 but worth every bit and you will see why when you use it. I got mine from cleanstore in the uk.

Nice one Hal!

Is it a wet and dry vac or a spray extractor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It does it all :D. Hoovers (but no hoover bags supplied), wet vacuums, or wet extraction. There's a trigger to activate the shampoo. I used chemical guys fabric clean in hot water. It can be used on floors too with the hard floor attachment.

i-numatic-gve370-2-gve370-2.jpg

Advertisement