Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've been mulling over what to replace my old wet vac with. I sold it to Ardennes months ago and still haven't replaced it but that looks like a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Just another BMW F10 iDrive Professional retrofit...

Original radio/screen. Boring...

1.JPG

New screen going in.

2.JPG

New screen in place. More like it.

3.JPG

Old radio going out.

4.JPG

Alright. All plugged in now. Coding is now required since the radio came from a German car. As in, German market for German customers ;) We know BMW is German...

5.JPG
    6.JPG

8.JPG

Latest maps of course

11.JPG

Radio in place

12.JPG

Ok radio coded to English now.
    Now we have a dash that looks normal and no longer disfigured by that small iDrive.

13.JPG
    14.JPG

16.JPG

18.JPG

BMW navigation upgrades weekend ;)

Car had Business navigation and its owner decided to go for Professional navigation.

Plus I fitted a Sport button too.

Thanks for looking

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG

Sport button making in progress.

8.JPG
    9.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG

15.JPG

Sport function in action

16.JPG

Alright finishing putting everything back together.

17.JPG
    18.JPG
    19.JPG
    20.JPG
    21.JPG

22.JPG
    23.JPG
    24.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What does that sport button do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Turns off TC / SC etc.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Vtec_kick_in_yo.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »

More seriously

It's called FDC (Fahr Dynamic Control).

"Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) can be selected with the SPORT button in either automatic mode or manual mode. FDC is always deactivated when the engine is started.
    When Dynamic Driving Control (FDC) is activated with the SPORT button, shift times for gear changes are reduced by the SMG/Automatic control unit. In addition, in automatic mode the SMG/Automatic only shifts into the next gear up at higher engine speeds. The DME unit adjusts the accelerator-pedal values. The engine responds quicker to changes in the accelerator pedal position. The system also switches "Servotronic" or "Active steering" option to a more sports-oriented characteristic. Steering and holding forces on the steering wheel are given more sporty settings...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I used torque to learn how to drive my van.

Learned never drive it below 1500. It uses double the fuel. So driving 1200-1700 is slow and wasteful.

2000 revs is the one. Using that iv brought the average of 31 mpg to 38mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ I thought the iDrive in the 7 series was bad.

Was stuck in an E60 530D for a week and the iDrive was pure torture. Whoever came up with it should be shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

^^ I thought the iDrive in the 7 series was bad.

Was stuck in an E60 530D for a week and the iDrive was pure torture. Whoever came up with it should be shot.

What is this magical idrive? what does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Basically

silver-apple-logo.png?w=360+bmw_logo_21.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Ah screw that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Basically

silver-apple-logo.png?w=360+bmw_logo_21.jpg

=

20121231165141!Mushroom-cloud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

@Hal I was always tempted to get oneof those Numatic "George" Vacs, might buy one to treat myself with first weeks proper wages, never seem to get bad reviews!

I just done my mats literally finished them. They were manky but absolutely spotless now :). The only gripe I have with it at the moment is the float ball keeps cutting out the suction when I lift off. So I have to switch off the vacuum and wait for the suction to release it then switch on again.

Float ball thing:
    m2P_2mPWTQxThvmxhtLWcdw.jpg

It could be down to the extra foamy mixture of CG fabric clean I'm using clogging up the netting around it. There is a bottle of carpet cleaner supplied though but I haven't used any of it yet. I'll make it less foamy for the floor carpet when I get around to doing those.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hal1 wrote: »
    I just done my mats literally finished them. They were manky but absolutely spotless now :). The only gripe I have with it at the moment is the float ball keeps cutting out the suction when I lift off. So I have to switch off the vacuum and wait for the suction to release it then switch on again.

Float ball thing:
    m2P_2mPWTQxThvmxhtLWcdw.jpg

It could be down to the extra foamy mixture of CG fabric clean I'm using clogging up the netting around it. There is a bottle of carpet cleaner supplied though but I haven't used any of it yet. I'll make it less foamy for the floor carpet when I get around to doing those.

That happened me with a floor cleaner before. Just too foamy. Thought I was being clever using stuff not meant for the machine

I hope that's all it was as it's a fantastic little machine. I didn't use the car today as I wanted the seats to dry out (a little bit damp). When I was putting the mats back in I couldn't help but admire how clean they came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Drove to Limerick and back from Meath on Friday, ever since Saturday morning there's a rattling sound of some kind, sounds like its misfiring and very shaker. At one point I had foot on accelerator an nothing happened mid driving... Checked engine bay it's shaking like mad, checked to see if everything was connected properly and tightened up an all seems fine... Possible coilpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi certainly sounds like coil or spark plug failure.
    Type of car as certain types have a coil pack and others are single coils that slot down onto spark plug.

If checking on modern car do not take lead off and then run as can blow ecu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Hi certainly sounds like coil or spark plug failure.
    Type of car as certain types have a coil pack and others are single coils that slot down onto spark plug.

If checking on modern car do not take lead off and then run as can blow ecu

I've disconnect leads on a few cars while running to check which coilpack was gone never blew or heard of any ECU's blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Replaced grille and removed the weird licence plate surrounding things.

9Yxbiexl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

You've taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back in my opinion. I wouldn't be into rebadged grilles. A black badge on the original grille would have been far nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I always hated how when you debadge a Bora you're left with that little dimple in the centre of the bonnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

rizzee wrote: »
    Drove to Limerick and back from Meath on Friday, ever since Saturday morning there's a rattling sound of some kind, sounds like its misfiring and very shaker. At one point I had foot on accelerator an nothing happened mid driving... Checked engine bay it's shaking like mad, checked to see if everything was connected properly and tightened up an all seems fine... Possible coilpack?

Is it not a c5 hdi you have or am I mixing you up with another poster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

tossy wrote: »
    You've taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back in my opinion. I wouldn't be into rebadged grilles. A black badge on the original grille would have been far nicer.
    YbFocus wrote: »
    I always hated how when you debadge a Bora you're left with that little dimple in the centre of the bonnet.

Yeah, I know. I will either fill the dimple or paint the original one black.

Today I discovered that my front left headlight has blown (I assume, I just checked it there). This is pretty annoying as I changed the bulb back in November.

So unfortunately I'll be one of the many cars without full working lights tomorrow, but will hopefully change it at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Did you use gloves when you put the bulb in?
    If not did you touch the glass of the bulb with your hands?

Did you use gloves when you put the bulb in?
    If not did you touch the glass of the bulb with your hands?

Nope, used the gloves provided and didn't touch them against my skin to the best of my knowledge. Will put it down to a bad bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Would have expected you would get longer than that out of it. Just bad luck methinks.
    They shouldnt be too expensive to sort though unless you have a renault of the wrong vintage. If it is H7 about a fiver a bulb. Osram nightbrakers are about a tenner a pop and they are very good.

Advertisement