Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

sunshiner wrote: »
    my daughter is 7 weeks, she has bad refux. She vomits after ever feed, a couple of times,she looks in pain. I am combo feeding. She has been constipated for 2 days she went today. I decided to change her formula to Hipp Organic to see if it helps. I tried infacol with no help.i started the gaviscon my OH thinks its helped but im not so sure. I started her on the bottles of boiled water she doesnt drink much. She is going mad on the dummy so that kind of soothers her.

Hi sunshine, I think the treatment of reflux is trial and error and, as we learned, varies from child to child. I found the gaviscon excellent but it wasn't enough for us. In addition to elevating all sleeping spaces, keeping baby upright for 30 mins after every feed (sometimes 4-5 times a night!), cranial osteopathy and massage, we found we needed a prescribed medicine. In our case it was Zantac but I know others have used losec. My only advice would be, don't suffer on too long, if everything you're trying isn't working, persist in getting a solution through your gp. It's a horrendous time for baby and parents. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi sunshine, I think the treatment of reflux is trial and error and, as we learned, varies from child to child. I found the gaviscon excellent but it wasn't enough for us. In addition to elevating all sleeping spaces, keeping baby upright for 30 mins after every feed (sometimes 4-5 times a night!), cranial osteopathy and massage, we found we needed a prescribed medicine. In our case it was Zantac but I know others have used losec. My only advice would be, don't suffer on too long, if everything you're trying isn't working, persist in getting a solution through your gp. It's a horrendous time for baby and parents. X

I spoke to the phn about it today. She said it was good the Gaviscon was working but wanted me to be aware there is other medication he can take. The nurse said you have to really push your GP/paediatrician for it though, as Yellow Hen said. So that might be worth doing in a day or two if she doesn't improve. It's just such a horrible thing to go through :(

Some of the mums in my breastfeeding group also said baby massage is good as well as a cranial osteopath so I was thinking of doing a class in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Yep Baby Massage worked for us too. I started a 5 week course when my little man was 3 weeks old and he loved it. We were taught a colic/reflux massage for baby's tummy and it really helped. Another mum in the class had a baby that suffered quite badly from reflux since he was born found that particular massage excellent. It's also another great way of meeting other mums.

Nead21 wrote: »
    Yep Baby Massage worked for us too. I started a 5 week course when my little man was 3 weeks old and he loved it. We were taught a colic/reflux massage for baby's tummy and it really helped. Another mum in the class had a baby that suffered quite badly from reflux since he was born found that particular massage excellent. It's also another great way of meeting other mums.

Sounds great - I don't really know anyone with a baby, I'm the first of my friends so I'd love to meet some other mums. I've sent off to book in for a class in August so hopefully that will come through soon.

For anyone that has experience of giving infant Gaviscon did any of you give it before a feed (breastfeeding)? I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread. We just can't give it any other way. If we break him off mid feed to give it to him he doesn't go back on, has a shorter feed and consequently wakes up much earlier than he normally would. If we try to give it afterwards he's just too full, even if we syringe or spoon it in he spits it out and it's wasted.

Logically I think you should be able to give it before a feed mixed into breast milk, even though the instructions for breast fed babies say not to do it. If you can mix it with formula milk and give it that way then I would have thought mixing it with a bit of breastmilk and then putting him on the boob would be fine. It's just so awkward - the Gaviscon just doesn't seem to be compatible with breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I did all that murdy: before feeds and mixed with breast milk. I did find it better with water rather than breast milk though. But giving it first was the only way to give it to her.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    I did all that murdy: before feeds and mixed with breast milk. I did find it better with water rather than breast milk though. But giving it first was the only way to give it to her.

That's good to hear :) - do you mean it was more effective if given with water? I've found he takes it much more willingly with milk but I'd be willing to try water again if it is better to give it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I mixed it with water and got my husband to give it to him in a bottle before i bf him.

I have one close friend who has a baby but she's gone back to work after maternity leave so meeting other mums has kept me sane really. Since baby massage theres a group of us that meet up regularly and it has made a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    That's good to hear :) - do you mean it was more effective if given with water? I've found he takes it much more willingly with milk but I'd be willing to try water again if it is better to give it that way.

Ya I found it more effective mixed with water, and less constipating too. Constipation was a much worse problem for us. But I'm also a big fan of whatever works :) so if he's taking it in breast milk and he's happy, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'd have cracked up without my baby and breastfeeding group: I really enjoy it, and it's great to meet new people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Ladies I am hopefully coming out the far end of 19 months of hell from lactose intolerance and reflux with my ds. My words of advice are to get to a pediatrician who deals with reflux and who has a good dietician..

Don't listen to your friend or neighbour whose cousin had a baby with reflux- go to the best and cut out the old wives tales.

I tried it all and nothing other than time and medication worked. I wish the holy vest I got from monaghan worked but it didn't. I wish the baby massage and osteopath worked but they didn't. Diet and medication worked for us and I am hoping the very strict and very healthy diet he was and is on will stand to him for the future,

reflux is hell so get good help and as early as you can.

I have seen a GP and a paediatrician about it. Because he feeds so well and is putting lots of weight on they will not prescribe medication stronger than the Gaviscon. Also, it's working for us at the moment so I would also be very reluctant to give him anything stronger.

If all the other things don't work then yes I do think you should push for medication but imo, it shouldn't be the first thing you try. Hopefully it won't come to that for us. Sounds like you have had a rough time with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

CaraMay wrote: »
    Ladies I am hopefully coming out the far end of 19 months of hell from lactose intolerance and reflux with my ds. My words of advice are to get to a pediatrician who deals with reflux and who has a good dietician..

Don't listen to your friend or neighbour whose cousin had a baby with reflux- go to the best and cut out the old wives tales.

I tried it all and nothing other than time and medication worked. I wish the holy vest I got from monaghan worked but it didn't. I wish the baby massage and osteopath worked but they didn't. Diet and medication worked for us and I am hoping the very strict and very healthy diet he was and is on will stand to him for the future,

reflux is hell so get good help and as early as you can.

Hi Caramay,

Do you mind me asking which Paediatrician and dietician you saw? My boy is 19 months now & eats hardly anything so I'd love some proper advice. He suffered so bad with reflux too & is thankfully off all meds now so need to sort his diet.

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Hi Annie, even though I live over two hours away I got a second opinion from Dr fox in castlebar. He is great and works alongside his dietician. He was personally recommendes to me. I think there is a Dr / Mr Browne in Dublin who is top of his field. I think its important to work with them in conjunction with their dietician. My fella is still on 21 oz of nutramigen per day and dietician happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

CaraMay wrote: »
    Hi Annie, even though I live over two hours away I got a second opinion from Dr fox in castlebar. He is great and works alongside his dietician. He was personally recommendes to me. I think there is a Dr / Mr Browne in Dublin who is top of his field. I think its important to work with them in conjunction with their dietician. My fella is still on 21 oz of nutramigen per day and dietician happy with that.
    I also saw Dr Fox privately in castlebar, he is excellent, my little fellow was lactose intolerant all along and wasnt diagnosed till he was 7 months - thankfully changing formula to sma lf has proved a success and he keeps all his bottles down now, cant believe I was actually feeding the reflux by giving him a hungrier baby formula aswell which is a thicker milk - would highly recommend seeing a paediatrician for advice - good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mil83

Hi everyone I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping somebody can help!! I'm going out of my mind!!! My baby is 5 weeks old tomorrow and has silent reflux. I thought at first it was trapped wind but after trial and error and herself getting worse I figured it was this. After a day of gagging and losing her breath we took her to A&E and a doc there confirmed it was silent reflux and prescribed Zantac. 99% of the time she will only sleep lying on mine or my husbands chest if we put her down even though we have everything raised we are lucky to get a couple of hours before she goes mad again. It's killing me and I just can't see the end of this. I get a horrible sinking feeling when I think of everything and I'm crying a lot. I hate seeing her going through this it's breaking my heart. I have my poor husband gone astray as well even though he says I don't. I just want my happy smiling baby back.

How are your babies now are they better now they are older? I really hope my wee pet will grow out of this very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Hi Mil83, I strongly recommend getting hold of a copy of the book the Sensational Baby Sleep plan by Alison Scott wright - has an excellent chapter on silent reflux with practical tips for dealing with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Mil83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping somebody can help!! I'm going out of my mind!!! My baby is 5 weeks old tomorrow and has silent reflux. I thought at first it was trapped wind but after trial and error and herself getting worse I figured it was this. After a day of gagging and losing her breath we took her to A&E and a doc there confirmed it was silent reflux and prescribed Zantac. 99% of the time she will only sleep lying on mine or my husbands chest if we put her down even though we have everything raised we are lucky to get a couple of hours before she goes mad again. It's killing me and I just can't see the end of this. I get a horrible sinking feeling when I think of everything and I'm crying a lot. I hate seeing her going through this it's breaking my heart. I have my poor husband gone astray as well even though he says I don't. I just want my happy smiling baby back.

How are your babies now are they better now they are older? I really hope my wee pet will grow out of this very soon

Have you changed her food? My nearly 7 month old boy still can't drink the normal aptamil as it flares his reflux up again.

lainycool wrote: »
    Have you changed her food? My nearly 7 month old boy still can't drink the normal aptamil as it flares his reflux up again.

Yea we have her on aptamil anti reflux now...what is your wee fella on?

Yea we have her on aptamil anti reflux now...what is your wee fella on?

He is on the anti reflux as well and he was on gavisgon until he was 4 months, I find the milk great though it has been a life saver, its such an awful thing to see them in pain, how long has she been on the milk?

He is on the anti reflux as well and he was on gavisgon until he was 4 months, I find the milk great though it has been a life saver, its such an awful thing to see them in pain, how long has she been on the milk?

We tried the gaviscon but it didn't do much she's only on the milk a few days now so we are hoping and praying between that and the medicine we will get our happy smiley baby back it's just awful having to watch them like this!

We tried the gaviscon but it didn't do much she's only on the milk a few days now so we are hoping and praying between that and the medicine we will get our happy smiley baby back it's just awful having to watch them like this!

It took about a week before we noticed a difference with the milk but after that week it was like we had a different baby, no grunting or arching back or screaming in pain, hopefully it works quick for you :-)

• Advertisement

It took about a week before we noticed a difference with the milk but after that week it was like we had a different baby, no grunting or arching back or screaming in pain, hopefully it works quick for you :-)

Aw that's really good to hear :) I'm hoping and praying it will work for her!! How's your wee fella now?

Aw that's really good to hear :) I'm hoping and praying it will work for her!! How's your wee fella now?

He's great not a bother now on solids and loving them but I did use the ready made cartons over the Christmas and his reflux was bad now he doesn't really complain about it anymore but I can see it come up so I know it must be uncomfortable for him, I wish they had the reflux formula in the little cartons!

He's great not a bother now on solids and loving them but I did use the ready made cartons over the Christmas and his reflux was bad now he doesn't really complain about it anymore but I can see it come up so I know it must be uncomfortable for him, I wish they had the reflux formula in the little cartons!

I was just saying that today it would be so handy if they did!! It's great to hear he's doing so well :) can I ask did it take long for him to grow out of it?

I was just saying that today it would be so handy if they did!! It's great to hear he's doing so well :) can I ask did it take long for him to grow out of it?

It's all a bit of a blur at this stage but he went on to that milk at 5 weeks and by 9 weeks he was absolutely fine and wasn't screaming the house down, he used to scream from about 8 in the evening until he went to bed at 10.30, it was a very stressful time for myself and my husband and at times were at each others throats! Each case is different though and I'm aware that my boys reflux wasn't extremely bad and he didn't need meds but I would of been prepared to put him on them if the milk and gavisgon didn't work!

He has only in the last few weeks started solid food as I had started him at 19 weeks and I felt it was flaring up the reflux again and he just wasn't fussed about food so he is properly on solids the last 3 weeks and is loving them, he is coming up to 29 weeks now.

Some doctors recommend starting them on solids early for reflux but that was something that I didn't want to do, keep us updated how your daughter is getting on :-)

It's all a bit of a blur at this stage but he went on to that milk at 5 weeks and by 9 weeks he was absolutely fine and wasn't screaming the house down, he used to scream from about 8 in the evening until he went to bed at 10.30, it was a very stressful time for myself and my husband and at times were at each others throats! Each case is different though and I'm aware that my boys reflux wasn't extremely bad and he didn't need meds but I would of been prepared to put him on them if the milk and gavisgon didn't work!

He has only in the last few weeks started solid food as I had started him at 19 weeks and I felt it was flaring up the reflux again and he just wasn't fussed about food so he is properly on solids the last 3 weeks and is loving them, he is coming up to 29 weeks now.

Some doctors recommend starting them on solids early for reflux but that was something that I didn't want to do, keep us updated how your daughter is getting on :-)

Thanks so much for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

Hi all! Rebumping this thread again!!
    I suspect my lil one has also silent reflux! She's also quite windy. We first tried comfort formula as we thought she could be colicky but did nothing for her. GP on monday prescribed infant gaviscon and advised to go back to aptamil 1st milk with it as it can't be given with thick formulas. It's only wednesday now so I know it's a bit early to say if it's working but after being awake since 3am I am starting to doubt.
    She only sleeps upright on my chest.. Crib is raised, I keep her upright for nearly 1 hr after feeding to make sure she's deep sleep but after 2 min in crib the grunting commences!! I'm lucky she doesn't really cries, only after some feeds since we started the gaviscon actually, but still the grunting keeps her and me awake and i think i'm losing it!!
    Husband thinks i'm over worrying and that it will pass, but he's not the one spending the nights sitting upright so baby can sleep.. Thing is, she hasn't really been diagnosed with silent reflux.. Just me suspecting it.. She has loads of symptoms.. Hiccups, cough, grunting, squirming, only sleeping upright.. I feel exactly like the OP, I sunk at 10pm when I know night time is here and I'm left to fave alone the night with the baby.. She's 7 weeks today and I haven't stopped crying since she was born. I feel guilty on top of it coz I think I'm not enjoying my baby just worrying all the time and being so tired doesn't help either..
    Really don't know what to do anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

Amira, to be honest - it is really hard to enjoy being a mum when your little girl is so unsettled and you are so sleep deprived. U cannot do nights on your own. Team effort needed, hubby, your folks, his folks, brother, sisters - ask for help.. People imagine you are doing grand unless u fill them in on story!

Our little boy had a mix of reflux and colic for good measure.. We were up every night for months... We walked the floor, he just could not lie flat - had to be high up on shoulder.. Our families were great and would do a night or two each week.. No wonder u are crying.. Ask for help.. Go back to gp if u need to.. Take care of you - u will be very vulnerable.. Ye will all be ok but it is a marathon not a sprint! Congrats on your little girl x

Thanks Annetted!
    Really appreciate the support! Hubby takes the weekend nights, but during the week it's only me! And it's tough!! It's all night and all day until he comes home from work and even after that he's things to do so I'm lucky if I get a 2hr break!! It's not enough and Altho he tries to help he puts himself first and I'm at my wits end. I call his mum and she came the other day to give me a break during the day so I could sleep! My parents live far away and them coming is not an option

I guess I'm just looking for a solution here, would anything work it is just a question of giving it time? Is it worthy trying to see a pediatrician? Saw phn nurse yesterday and wasn't happy that I was giving gaviscon.. Recommended AR formula.. U just don't know what to do really..

Glad to hear your lil one grew out of it.. And thanks again for understanding me.. It really helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Amira,
    We found a big change within a few days when we changed from Aptamil first and gaviscon to Aptamil anti reflux. It's not a cure and she still has days that are worse than others but on the whole she is much more comfortable on the whole. Saying that, our little lady doesn't sound like she is as bad as yours with it. All the different formulas have an AR version I think. Then there's the Enfamil AR formula which is not supposed to taste nice so we haven't gone down that road(yet!)

• Advertisement

Thanks rosey,
    I guess it's worth a try if it's going to help her. I was actually thinking going to sma staydown as it seems easier preparation as aptamil ar seems to take 1hr to prepare.. Enfamil seems to be the easiest but wouldn't know where to buy it.. Is it in pharmacies?

Advertisement