Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 overheating - Any suggestions please?

• 12-07-2013 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I bought an iPhone 4 about 6 months ago, I had my previous iPhone 3GS for over 2 years with no problems.

My phone is roasting on the back, like it burns my head when I try to hold it, this occurs when it is on standby, when I'm using it and when it is charging. The only time it cools down is when it's off but as soon as I turn it back on it's gets really hot again.

Ironically, it seems to have only developed this problem in the last couple of days and I thought maybe it has something to do with the high temperatures but then that problem couldn't affect all those iPhone users in hot countries.

Can anyone suggest what I can do? It seems to be coming from the battery, it's hottest on the back on the phone, at the top left where the camera lenses are. The metal rim around the edge is extremely hot too. The phone itself is hardly charging, it used to charge to 100% in less than an hour and not I can barely get it to 50% and it goes back down to between 5-10% after about 30 minutes.

I paid €400 cash for the Prepay handset and I did not expect this to occur at all never-mind so quickly. I cannot do without it either for 6-8 weeks to send it away for repair.

Is there anything like some power saving setting or removing the battery that I can do myself first to try and solve the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Repair turn around is about a week. Have you tried doing a restore? Maybe setup as new phone? Did you jailbreak your old iPhone? A setting from the jailbreak could be causing the new phone to overheat (well cause something to hang causing the CPU to overheat).

If not call Apple. They are very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

TBi wrote: »
    Repair turn around is about a week. Have you tried doing a restore? Maybe setup as new phone? Did you jailbreak your old iPhone? A setting from the jailbreak could be causing the new phone to overheat (well cause something to hang causing the CPU to overheat).

If not call Apple. They are very fast.

Thanks for the reply. No I didn't jailbreak the phone. It's just happened all of a sudden.

I didn't try a restore either, I'm always afraid of things like that. Will it wipe everything off my phone? Like text messages, photos, music, contacts etc?

I know they are backed up to iTunes but the messages aren't I don't think.

Everything is backed up. When you restore it will be just like you had it (assuming you pick restore from backup).

Although, have you tried a full power off/reset. Hold power and home button until the phone powers off then turn on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Did you sort this problem with the restore?

A friend of mine has the same issue, its amazing how hot the phone gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

First step would be try a hard reset (hold the home button and sleep/wake button for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears) if that doesn't fix it a restore done through iTunes or else iCloud should fix it.

It's most likely an app running in the background that is bugging the phone. What does your usage settings in Settings>General>Usage say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

A new battery will probably fix it. Get it on ebay, it's easy to fit with correct screwdrivers->also ebay. Make sure the phone is powered off before trying to fit a new battery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

paddy wrote: »
    A new battery will probably fix it. Get it on ebay, it's easy to fit with correct screwdrivers->also ebay. Make sure the phone is powered off before trying to fit a new battery.

If it's only 6 months old why would you invalidate the warranty by attacking it with screwdrivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

It looks like he/she doesn't have time/can't do without the phone to send it back to apple. The battery is the easiest option, I've fixed three overheating iphone 4 & the fix was the battery every time.

"I cannot do without it either for 6-8 weeks to send it away for repair."
    Graham wrote: »
    If it's only 6 months old why would you invalidate the warranty by attacking it with screwdrivers?

paddy wrote: »
    It looks like he/she doesn't have time/can't do without the phone to send it back to apple. The battery is the easiest option, I've fixed three overheating iphone 4 & the fix was the battery every time.

"I cannot do without it either for 6-8 weeks to send it away for repair."

It takes about a week to turn around, plus you can pay in advance for a replacement. Don't know why it would take 6-8 weeks.

Wait 1 week or lose one of the best warranties available?

Advertisement