Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why must it always be a slobber on the face?

• 12-07-2013 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Not a problem more curiosity on my part.

Every morning the OH gets up first and goes down and puts out our dogs breakfast. The dog is crate trained and sleeps in the crate but the door is left open so as soon as he hears any movement from our room he is up and about. The thing is he will happily great the OH, lots of jumping around and getting petted and patted, then straight away as soon as the OH goes to put out his breakfast the dog will bound up the stairs, nudge open our bedroom door, bounce onto the bed and lick my face. :rolleyes:

Doesnt matter what way I am facing he will climb over me to get my face. I even lay face down this morning and he nosed under and turned me over, gave me a big wet lick and bounded off to get his breakfast. I was just wondering if there is a particular reason why he does this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

'Cos he loves you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Awwww because he loves you ;)

Damn beaten to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

There could be worse things! :D

It is just comical to see him put so much effort in to getting it planted right on my face. Hands will not satisfy him, he will give them a lick but then make a move straight for the face. One lick though and he is happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Snap!

my cocker does the same, its doesnt matter if i have the bed sheets covering my head he still manages to get under and give me a kiss, its especially "lovely" on a sunday morning when im hungover and its "sardine sunday" for him....

He just loves you.... cant help himself :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In nature pups lick the lips of the parents and older members of their family to stimulate them into regurgitating food and it seems this continues into adulthood as a warm greeting and bonding thing between family members. It's basically a kiss*. So it's all good.

*one theory explaining human kissing is that way back in the day, mothers used to prechew food and then pass it into the mouths of weaning infants and it triggered a strong bonding feeling, so not unlike doggies then. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

cocker5 wrote: »
    its especially "lovely" on a sunday morning when im hungover and its "sardine sunday" for him....

So well described I can almost taste it :eek:

Advertisement