Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Cover

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone have any major dental work done while in Australia? I have to get a root canal, and have been quoted 1800$. Trying to avoid paying that much! I've looked into getting health care now, but most have a long waiting period before major dental. The only one i could find without a waiting period was http://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au/ but it's pretty expensive and I've never heard of them before.

Anyone have any advice?? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

trippertds wrote: »
    Anyone have any major dental work done while in Australia? I have to get a root canal, and have been quoted 1800$. Trying to avoid paying that much! I've looked into getting health care now, but most have a long waiting period before major dental. The only one i could find without a waiting period was http://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au/ but it's pretty expensive and I've never heard of them before.

Anyone have any advice?? Cheers

Health insurance is very expensive over here mate! Me and the GF are paying $180 a month. Also, most insurers won't pay out if its a pre existing ailment. So if you get insurance and say "I want a root canal" they might say "go **** yourself San Diego, that's a pre existing ailment so your getting no $$$ from us"

They're crafty like that

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

For major stuff u usually have to wait 12 months, get your cover and get work done in Dec and then January or whenever the 12 months is up and ul get the 12 and 13 month

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Check out hbf for dental cover, I find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

If you pay for it yourself you can claim it back in your tax return.

Also, the quality of dental in Australia is very good. I got ceramic crown work done that was well under the quotes that I had in Ireland. And better quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I had a root canal done a couple of weeks ago, fun times.

I had looked into dental cover but most I'd looked at had max of about 600 paid per treatment & that was coming out not much different to the cost of the cover for the year.

I was originally quoted 12-1600 for the root canal plus another 500 for the filling but it depends on the number of roots in your tooth, luckily mine only had 1 so it's 600 plus the 500.

Ps. Don't put it off cause of the cost, I had put it off since January & only suffered more pain & made things worse!

• Advertisement
Advertisement