Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Eponymous wrote: »
    No. Come cup time, you'd be amazed at the players dropped down to J4/5 if there's a sniff of a trophy. (NOT at Eoin's club though, I hasten to add, in case someone tries to make that interpretation)
    Ah, yes. I've seen this a few times in my short time playing. Pain in the HOOP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

how laid back is this rugby? are there people trying to make massive tackles and stuff or is it just a bit of fun?

It is competitive rugby as there is a league involved, so from that point of view it is taken seriously by most - having said that, taking it seriously is part of the fun. Rugby is a fairly intense game even when there isn't anything riding on the game.
    but i'm a wimp. how do people like me fair. stay on the wing and avoid tackles and rucks as much as possible?

Pop down to training in your local club. You'll probably surprise yourself. On our J4 team one of the smallest guys is actually a flanker and very good one at that.

It's all about having fun though. If the contact thing isn't your bag then you'll probably find a position you like without much contact.. but contact is one of the more rewarding parts of the game I find, and I'd be a fairly small fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

but i'm a wimp. how do people like me fair. stay on the wing and avoid tackles and rucks as much as possible?

To be honest, if you want to 100% avoid physical contact I would suggest playing tag rugby. There are winter leagues on at the minute and it shouldn't be hard to find a team looking for some more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A lot of players definitely take it seriously - it's not like a game of tip in the park. If you don't fully commit yourself to a tackle or the contact area, you'll get hurt.

I don't like the term "social rugby"; I think it takes away from the effort a lot of people put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

As ak. said, pop down and give it a try. Your local club will teach you proper technique and you'll feel more comfortable. I was the same as you, but I am much more comfortable now.

Eoin wrote: »
    A lot of players definitely take it seriously - it's not like a game of tip in the park. If you don't fully commit yourself to a tackle or the contact area, you'll get hurt.

I don't like the term "social rugby"; I think it takes away from the effort a lot of people put in.

Yep, social in name really... and the bar. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Thanks for the info everyone...

i haven't played rugby in about 10 years and want to get back into it. its just i'm apprehensive about tackling and getting into the wrong position and doing myself an injury. I was never big into the contact part of it, but it was grand. after 10 years, what was an area i didn't enjoy, i now have a fear of :o

Thanks for the info everyone...

i haven't played rugby in about 10 years and want to get back into it. its just i'm apprehensive about tackling and getting into the wrong position and doing myself an injury. I was never big into the contact part of it, but it was grand. after 10 years, what was an area i didn't enjoy, i now have a fear of :o

Ah you'll be thought the technique and how to avoid an injury. So long as you follow that technique you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I agree but the social aspect is important but more in terms of the after match rewards in the bar. The team puts in the effort at training and games and nice to share a pint after. As you move up from J4 this doesnt happen as much and there is a focus to stay away from the pub after. I dont want this, my main reason for taking back up rugby a few years back was the fitness and training but also always into the team spirit in rugby much more than other sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The quickest way to get injured is to hold back, rugby at any level is a physical game and needs to be played that way. I don't take it seriously, in wanting to go home and lock the doors if we lose a game but have never once set foot a pitch and not given it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

stephen_n wrote: »
    The quickest way to get injured is to hold back, rugby at any level is a physical game and needs to be played that way. I don't take it seriously, in wanting to go home and lock the doors if we lose a game but have never once set foot a pitch and not given it 100%.

Couldn't agree more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

In bits after today. Am thinking tomorrow will be a write off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In bits after today. Am thinking tomorrow will be a write off

Did you play a game today and have another tomoro??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Did Any other teams today do a minute silence before kick off in memory of a ref from clontarf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We beat Mary's 20 - 13 today. Pretty happy with that, we played absolute rubbish and it was a poor game altogether I reckon.

How did you tarf lads find the nure match?

We done a minute's silence for that ref, dodder.

• Advertisement

Nure edged us 11-8. It was 0-8 going into HT and we seemed to have control of the game, but they scored a fine try and then eeked back into the game, clinching it with a penalty in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Yeah we had the minute silence too. (Tallaght v Park more)

Did you play a game today and have another tomoro??
    No I just meant any sort of movement today

A other walkover from swords 3 out of 4 and millmount 2 out of 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did the AIB V Stillorgan game in Div 7 go ahead yesterday does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A other walkover from swords 3 out of 4 and millmount 2 out of 3

Swords seem to be having issues with numbers.
    I feel sorry for Millmount, they have some great guys in the club but, due to the line of work, it's a major achievement in itself that they get a team out at weekends.

Being cynical, one could claim that some clubs are only paying lip service to entering multiple teams in the leagues so they can retain their full international ticket allocation.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Swords seem to be having issues with numbers.
    I feel sorry for Millmount, they have some great guys in the club but, due to the line of work, it's a major achievement in itself that they get a team out at weekends.

Being cynical, one could claim that some clubs are only paying lip service to entering multiple teams in the leagues so they can retain their full international ticket allocation.
    Tickets aren't really an issue anymore we could of gotten pretty much what we liked this year. Sure ticketmaster are selling tickets this year too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tickets aren't really an issue anymore we could of gotten pretty much what we liked this year. Sure ticketmaster are selling tickets this year too
    Maybe not now but clubs will want to maintain current full allocation as there will be a time again when the demand will be much higher for int tickets and if there allocation goes down it will not go back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Did Any other teams today do a minute silence before kick off in memory of a ref from clontarf

The "ref from clontarf" was Gerry Maher. He was a long time referee, assessor, committee member and recent ex president of the ARLB and no nicer man you would want to meet; take it from me but he was a gent. He died suddenly during the week and was laid to rest on Saturday in his native Roscrea.

May he rest in peace

Anyone ever made the transition from backrow to front row? Due to excessive backrow numbers, thinking of moving to Loose head... Or as Cian Healy now calls it "additional flankers" ha

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Anyone ever made the transition from backrow to front row? Due to excessive backrow numbers, thinking of moving to Loose head... Or as Cian Healy now calls it "additional flankers" ha

What level are you playing? also what size are you as TH might be an easier move.

What level are you playing? also what size are you as TH might be an easier move.

Playing Leinster League J2.. I'm 90Kg, 5'10... Lifting heavy.. So I'm not worried about my power.. Just adjusting to new position..

Been out injured for the last two months, so I've slipped down the backrow pecking order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've always thought loose head is easier to get used to for newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Playing Leinster League J2.. I'm 90Kg, 5'10... Lifting heavy.. So I'm not worried about my power.. Just adjusting to new position..

Been out injured for the last two months, so I've slipped down the backrow pecking order...

Made the same shift last season, played J5 loosehead. We're competing in the scrum this year, and while I've been injured for the past couple of weeks, I noticed in scrum training against J4 and J2 props that the new engagement rewards a low base more than anything. Brute force isn't as useful as it was, and if you can sink lower than the other guy and still shove you're going to do well unless he can force your arm up.

Made the same shift last season, played J5 loosehead. We're competing in the scrum this year, and while I've been injured for the past couple of weeks, I noticed in scrum training against J4 and J2 props that the new engagement rewards a low base more than anything. Brute force isn't as useful as it was, and if you can sink lower than the other guy and still shove you're going to do well unless he can force your arm up.

So get low and keep the arm down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

So get low and keep the arm down?

So far, that's been enough. The hit is hugely reduced, and the bind's already in, so smashing the opposite front row isn't really an option. If your flanker and lock are under your ass and you stay straight and low, you get parity at least.

I should point out that's only my limited experience: there are other forum regulars who have a lot more experience and would be better placed to advise!

So far, that's been enough. The hit is hugely reduced, and the bind's already in, so smashing the opposite front row isn't really an option. If your flanker and lock are under your ass and you stay straight and low, you get parity at least.

I should point out that's only my limited experience: there are other forum regulars who have a lot more experience and would be better placed to advise!

Well I appreciate the advice... :)

ColmH, have you played or at least trained in the front row before? I only ask as it is a position where you really need to know what you are doing, even at lower J's level. It's not that it isn't hard to get the basics; it's just that it's a position whereby it is crucial to get it right from the word go and to stay doing it right.

Give it a run out in training some evening and see how you fare out; the last place you want to decide it's not for you is after the third scrum of the afternoon :)

ColmH, have you played or at least trained in the front row before? I only ask as it is a position where you really need to know what you are doing, even at lower J's level. It's not that it isn't hard to get the basics; it's just that it's a position whereby it is crucial to get it right from the word go and to stay doing it right.

Give it a run out in training some evening and see how you fare out; the last place you want to decide it's not for you is after the third scrum of the afternoon :)

Ha... Yeah, did a 2yr stint at hooker before I got fit.. Wouldn't go back to Hooker though(too many in the club) Don't get me wrong.. Would prefer to be in the backrow, but want to get as much game time in as possible and the club are lacking front rows..

Gonna get started tonight on the scrum machine and then hit the J1 pack and see how I fair... :S

It's not about power more so the shape I was wondering, smaller is better for Tight IMO. I have moved between backrow and hooker most of my playing time since schools (when not playing centre). That's a fairly high level to be learning at though.
    I've always thought loose head is easier to get used to for newbies.
    I think tight is more technical, so harder to learn but loose requires more bulk.

It's not about power more so the shape I was wondering, smaller is better for Tight IMO. I have moved between backrow and hooker most of my playing time since schools (when not playing centre). That's a fairly high level to be learning at though.

I think tight is more technical, so harder to learn but loose requires more bulk.

You sound a bit like myself there.. Jack of all trades.. Except 9 and 10.. Ha

You sound a bit like myself there.. Jack of all trades.. Except 9 and 10.. Ha

Ha ha I'm playing 9 this year, trimmed down to 80kg so getting the easy ride now :)

Ha ha I'm playing 9 this year, trimmed down to 80kg so getting the easy ride now :)

Ha.. You're a braver man than I... Defo wouldn't want that...

Ha... Yeah, did a 2yr stint at hooker before I got fit.. Wouldn't go back to Hooker though(too many in the club) Don't get me wrong.. Would prefer to be in the backrow, but want to get as much game time in as possible and the club are lacking front rows..

Gonna get started tonight on the scrum machine and then hit the J1 pack and see how I fair... :S

You will be fine in that case. Just get some pack time ahead of you and take it from there :)

• Advertisement

Lads, we have a game away against Monkstown tomorrow. What's the best way to get there off the dart? Hope off at Sydney Parade and walk up Park Avenue? Is that it on the left?

You'll see the grounds as you pass on the dart coming from the northside, between sandy mount and Sydney parade, that should give you a bearing. When you come out of the station turn right, take the first left until there is a church on your right hand side and the enterance is just there on your left!

Nice one, cheers.

Mary's tomorrow after a 3 week lay off, then the Ireland game, lovely rugby filled Saturday :)

Mary's tomorrow after a 3 week lay off, then the Ireland game, lovely rugby filled Saturday :)

Give em hell

Give em hell

• Advertisement

You'll see the grounds as you pass on the dart coming from the northside, between sandy mount and Sydney parade, that should give you a bearing. When you come out of the station turn right, take the first left until there is a church on your right hand side and the enterance is just there on your left!

That's assuming he knows to get off at Sandymount, Stephen :)

Now I'm confused. Is it not quicker to get off at sydney parade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

That's assuming he knows to get off at Sandymount, Stephen :)

no sydney parade, sandymount you would come left out of station, turn right and through the estate and right onto park avenue and walk along for a few minutes past park lane & railway grounds. if you hit church you have gone too far.
    .ak wrote: »
    Now I'm confused. Is it not quicker to get off at sydney parade?

it's a bit closer, but not a massive difference between getting off either.

Cool. Sure it's impossible to get lost these days with google maps! Sense of adventure is a vague thing...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There are two types of people in the world; those that get off at Sandymount and those that get off at Sydney Parade.

Choose your side carefully .ak!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement