Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sorry, I misread and assumed hopping off at Sandymount, not Sydney. It's marginal with one is quicker so it's preference I guess.

God be with the times; I remember playing SCT games in Park Avenue and subs would have to hop over the fence with a ladder onto the DART track to fetch balls which had been kicked out of the grounds. On a sodden wet afternoon in steel capped boots, you can imagine how much fun that was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Warriors beat Mary's 20-10 good game although the ref was a little whistle happy as he was being assessed. Much respect goes to Mary's, for fielding the first actual development team, we have played this year. Beats monkstown fielding two first team players. Nice to see a big club playing with a bit of respect for the league. Some good young players too, which will stand to them in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

stephen_n wrote: »
    Warriors beat Mary's 20-10 good game although the ref was a little whistle happy as he was being assessed. Much respect goes to Mary's, for fielding the first actual development team, we have played this year. Beats monkstown fielding two first team players. Nice to see a big club playing with a bit of respect for the league. Some good young players too, which will stand to them in the future.

jaysus lads played monkstown today, second time we had this "ref" this year.....the poor bloke hasnt a notion....i was told by our players not to ruck as the ref would blow it, i didnt listen went into a ruck on my feet and ripped it off a player of theirs holding onto it on the bottom of the ruck, penalty was given against me for playing the ball on the ground....... i would love to have him explain himself on some of his dubious calls! cost us our last game he did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

jaysus lads played monkstown today, second time we had this "ref" this year.....the poor bloke hasnt a notion....i was told by our players not to ruck as the ref would blow it, i didnt listen went into a ruck on my feet and ripped it off a player of theirs holding onto it on the bottom of the ruck, penalty was given against me for playing the ball on the ground....... i would love to have him explain himself on some of his dubious calls! cost us our last game he did!

That the tarf game? In fairness he's only new. Dunno if cost us that terenure game he was equally bad for both teams. But we didn't take our opportunities against nure and that's why we lost.

In fairness as you mentioned we quickly identified how he wanted to play and adapted that yesterday - we played the ref well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Definitely don't think the ref cost us the game against terenure.

And I also don't think he is near the worst ref we're going to see this year. Penalty count was very high against us yesterday, but at the same time I don't think it was completely one-sided. Got to remember that without him giving us his Saturday afternoon we wouldn't be playing.
    I think at this level we are a bit critical of referee's, they are reffing at this level for a reason, same way that all of us are. Wouldn't want George Hook, Brent Pope et al to be analysing my play that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Steve Perchance

Its J4 rugby - you're going to get referees at the same level as the players, i.e. just starting out or winding down. Every ref will have particular infringements they penalise for - for example we were hit with 2 pens for squeezeball yesterday, which would usually never happen. Like ak says, you have to adjust and play accordingly.

That said if its a ruck, that means no hands. You only have the tiny window between tackled player hitting the deck and support player making contact with you to get your hands on the ball - no hands on ball at that moment of contact when ruck is formed, no ball for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

We lost that terenure game ourselves, we should have put them away before they got back into it. The guy that scored their try was missed by at least 4 different tacklers (me being one of them)... We have only ourselves to blame.

The ref was very pedantic when it came to hands in the ruck and he penalised us about 15 times for it in the last 20 mins, even if he's wrong we should have just stopped putting hands on the ball and played the game to his instructions. He could have very easily yellow carded one of us for constant infringements, but he didn't.

The refs aren't going to see everything so it's up to the captains of each team to make them aware of what's going on. That ref yesterday just needs to look around him more often at the breakdown and check of the defence are onside or not, he did spend too much time looking at the ball and not what was behind him.

I'm sure he'll improve, he's quite young in reffing terms and he will get better with more games. At least he showed up and was also quite friendly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

for example we were hit with 2 pens for squeezeball yesterday, which would usually never happen. Like ak says, you have to adjust and play accordingly.
    We got pinged for that twice yesterday too. First time in 6 years of playing I've had it called. New focus on it or just a coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

We got pinged for that twice yesterday too. First time in 6 years of playing I've had it called. New focus on it or just a coincidence?

think its a schools/youths directive and as J4 falls into u19 laws this is poss where confusion comes in

rje66 wrote: »
    think its a schools/youths directive and as J4 falls into u19 laws this is poss where confusion comes in

Yeah I know it's always been the law. Just never seen it enforced before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Steve Perchance

We're talking about the same game :-)Thankfully we wont have to worry about it unless we get the same ref again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Blackrock beat Seapoint 15-13 in a very close match. Penalty kick for Blackrock took back the lead with 90 seconds to play, and Seapoint's stoppage-time penalty hit the posts.
    Yeah I know it's always been the law. Just never seen it enforced before

Likewise - think we got penalised a couple of times yesterday; I can't remember the last time I saw that being penalised.

To be honest I wasn't really giving out about the ref we had, I felt sorry for him but like most refs at this level, he made mistakes, I'd hate the idea that someone on the sideline was watching every move I made. All you can ask for from a ref is consistency and after that, you just play the ref, keep your mouth shut and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Blizzards

Teferi wrote: »
    We beat Mary's 20 - 13 today. Pretty happy with that, we played absolute rubbish and it was a poor game altogether I reckon.

How did you tarf lads find the nure match?

We done a minute's silence for that ref, dodder.

How did you get on in the Naas game???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Blizzards wrote: »
    How did you get on in the Naas game???

Lost 12 - 8. Pretty disappointing, it was our mistakes that allowed them to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Blizzards

Lost 12 - 8. Pretty disappointing, it was our mistakes that allowed them to score.

You are still in a strong position but the league will look a little more interesting.

Having a match before going to a match is great. Absolute rugby overload and the missus can't really give out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

.ak wrote: »
    Having a match before going to a match is great. Absolute rugby overload and the missus can't really give out. :D

Best weekends of the year. Play a game, hopefully get a win, and then sit down with the lads in the clubhouse and have a few pints watching the game. Nothing better!

You think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

the missus can't really give out. :D

Yeah keep thinking that mate

Missing out on the Clontarf game today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Seems like they've deducted 4 points from each team for every game they've conceded, has affected some of the tables.
    Better than just kicking the teams out I guess

dave13 wrote: »
    Seems like they've deducted 4 points from each team for every game they've conceded, has affected some of the tables.
    Better than just kicking the teams out I guess

Makes things interesting for us anyhow... (Clontarf div 10)

Makes things interesting for us anyhow... (Clontarf div 10)

Swords on -14 now ... ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I see in div 6 that Naas beat Terenure so this keeps it tight at the top with Terenure and Clontarf both on 21 points with Naas 4 points behind. Keeps things interesting.

• Advertisement

I see our div 10 game against Bective is in ... Glenamuck... I gotta admit I've never heard of it. Do they play in Donnybrook at all at that level ever?

I see our div 10 game against Bective is in ... Glenamuck... I gotta admit I've never heard of it. Do they play in Donnybrook at all at that level ever?

Yup, I've played them at that level in the back pitches of Donnybrook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Glenamuck oh what horrible memories. V appropriate that muck is in name(well used to be not sure anymore since place got redeveloped few years ago).
    Their grounds in Glenamuck is near enough DLSPs ground.
    teams at that level do play sometimes in Donnybrook but it wouldn't be that often. Would depend on how many Wesley and Bective teams are scheduled to be at home on a certain weekend and when in the season game is on as well being a factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yup, I've played them at that level in the back pitches of Donnybrook.

Yeah played them in Donnybrook back pitch and the main pitch there also. Their back pitch in Donnybrook was basically just a sandpit last few times I have been on it. Both occassion got sand all in my eyes and in my mouth which was fairly unpleasant. Never played in Glenamuck against them.

Sand would be better than the normal mud bath, that is the back pitch in donnybrook, nearly drowned at the bottom of a ruck there, last time we played there.

Glenamuck (carrickmines) is almost inaccessible by public transport with only the 63 going by it unless you fancy a 20 min walk from the luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Glenamuck (carrickmines) is almost inaccessible by public transport with only the 63 going by it unless you fancy a 20 min walk from the luas.

The 44 bus passes the top of the road but it's still a hike up there.

I have to say, the pitch there is excellent and one of the best in the Metro region.

The 44 bus passes the top of the road but it's still a hike up there.

I have to say, the pitch there is excellent and one of the best in the Metro region.

Yeah 44 to the golden ball is an option too, but that is not the most frequent of buses, especially at weekends.

Better off playing Bective out in Glenamuck, so you don't get any high level players, hanging round the bar, added into the team for the day, like you do in Donnybrook.

Grand... will try and hitch a lift from Clontarf then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tallaght beat aib 7-5 in division 7 to open up a gap in second place and keep close to belvadere in first.

Anyone here from aib? Any word on your players leg?

0-37 to clontarf vs bective [div 10] Score line probably a bit unfair to bective who were fairly solid in the first half and threatened our line a few times. Good to get a few of our mistakes off our back and play error free rugby.

Seapoint just about beat DLSP 13-10. Very tight and physical match.

We beat Wanderers 36 - 16 today. Yours truly even went over for a try. That doesn't happen often.

Clontarf have caught up with us on the leaderboard and we are now joint first on points, we play them in 2 weeks in Clontarf so looking forward to that game.

CYM beat the warriors comprehensively, not 100% but think the final score was 32-0 they head a very organized and well drilled pack and a number 8 who pretty much ran the show. Think the narrow pitch suits their style of play. We didn't really switch on, I'd say that was probably the worst I have played.

We beat Wanderers 36 - 16 today. Yours truly even went over for a try. That doesn't happen often.

Clontarf have caught up with us on the leaderboard and we are now joint first on points, we play them in 2 weeks in Clontarf so looking forward to that game.

We have a home game against CYM at the same time on the other pitch... So a pint in the club after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I've a rules question here, I was hoping somebody might be able to answer.

A maul has been formed. On the defensive side, there is a player standing disrupting the ball in the middle. The ball goes to the back of the offensive maul and the defensive player reaches in and manages to steal it.

Is this legal?

• Advertisement

Madworld wrote: »
    I've a rules question here.

A maul has been formed. On the defensive side, there is a player standing disrupting the ball in the middle. The ball goes to the back of the maul and the defensive player reaches in and manages to steal it.

Is this legal?

Yep, as long as they went through the middle.

We have a home game against CYM at the same time on the other pitch... So a pint in the club after?

But of course! It would be rude not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Yep, as long as they went through the middle.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

CYM beat the warriors comprehensively, not 100% but think the final score was 32-0 they head a very organized and well drilled pack and a number 8 who pretty much ran the show. Think the narrow pitch suits their style of play. We didn't really switch on, I'd say that was probably the worst I have played.

Been some mad results this year. We played CYM first game of the season and had a reasonably comfortable victory. I'd find it hard to believe that the same team we played would beat the warriors (who beat us weekend before last) by such a scoreline...

shoutman wrote: »
    Been some mad results this year. We played CYM first game of the season and had a reasonably comfortable victory. I'd find it hard to believe that the same team we played would beat the warriors (who beat us weekend before last) by such a scoreline...

That's junior rugby though, I'd say there number 8 was definitely not a J5 player but in fairness they played to their strengths and we just didn't preform. Compared to what Bective did and Monkstown I'd say CYM didn't load their team.

Also only seems at this stage of the season teams are starting to gel. Seems like that for us anyway, guys know what they're doing rather than playing off the cuff. Our last few games have certainly been a lot more solid and consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Eoin wrote: »
    Seapoint just about beat DLSP 13-10. Very tight and physical match.

What were Barnhall like?

Good group of Older guys last time I played them? Sound lads, playing hard and fair

GavMan wrote: »
    What were Barnhall like?

Good group of Older guys last time I played them? Sound lads, playing hard and fair

Yep, you summed them up perfectly; a much improved back line from the last 2 seasons. Solid back as to be expected; lots of runners around the fringes and off 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

That's junior rugby though, I'd say there number 8 was definitely not a J5 player but in fairness they played to their strengths and we just didn't preform. Compared to what Bective did and Monkstown I'd say CYM didn't load their team.

Tbf we were a J4 team from the old league setup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

is there an age limit, also can you be a bit **** to play j4?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement