Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A teamsheet should include a players name and ID number and is dealt with on the day. If players are fielded outside of their home league then it needs to be pulled up; the Branch don't comb through sheets for spot checks. All it takes is for a query to go in and a check shouldn't take too long; if there are issues then they will be chased up.

On AIL players and the like, some players hold a dual status which allows them to play in two different leagues under certain circumstances. I don't think that this actually extends to fielding 3 or 4 players at once nor for minor level teams. Certainly, if I was an AIL or Colt's team coach I wouldn't be happy if my first team players were risking injury playing the Unidares and Parkmore's of the world and I'd take steps to prevent it happening.
    Team sheet has to include players name and ID number. If not team loses match points/poten face expulsion from competition.
    Branch will only check team sheets if someone makes a complaint
    Eoin wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that just means a J1 player can also play at AIL level for another club - but they're primarily registered to the Junior club.
    Dual status also refers to players who can play at 2 different levels if their club is not fielding at one of those levels.
    I played J1 with my club and u20s with another a few seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Branch will only check team sheets if someone makes a complaint

The Branch carry out constant spot checks on the team sheets that are submitted each week.
    The sheets for the league matches higher up the good chain get checked far more rigorously but even the games in the lower leagues get checked every few weeks.
    I know this because a Branch official contacted me enquiring about the registration status of one of the lads who had played a game a few weeks previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A teamsheet should include a players name and ID number and is dealt with on the day. If players are fielded outside of their home league then it needs to be pulled up; the Branch don't comb through sheets for spot checks. All it takes is for a query to go in and a check shouldn't take too long; if there are issues then they will be chased up.

On AIL players and the like, some players hold a dual status which allows them to play in two different leagues under certain circumstances. I don't think that this actually extends to fielding 3 or 4 players at once nor for minor level teams. Certainly, if I was an AIL or Colt's team coach I wouldn't be happy if my first team players were risking injury playing the Unidares and Parkmore's of the world and I'd take steps to prevent it happening.

Yes but you can use any name and ID number, who's to know the player is actually there, say you have 40 registered players and only 18 are there on the day, that's 22 names you can use. When I used to play with Greystones, one of our more physical players, got suspended 4 times in one season under different names.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yes but you can use any name and ID number, who's to know the player is actually there, say you have 40 registered players and only 18 are there on the day, that's 22 names you can use. When I used to play with Greystones, one of our more physical players, got suspended 4 times in one season under different names.

Incredibly risky thing to do, particularly if there is a serious injury sustained or caused by the "fake" player.
    It's disgraceful that a large club like Greystones would take a risk like that.
    How did he get away with it? Did the club send someone else to the disciplinary hearings the following Thursday in Donnybrook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Heroditas wrote: »
    Incredibly risky thing to do, particularly if there is a serious injury sustained or caused by the "fake" player.
    How did he get away with it?

Did the club send someone else to the disciplinary hearings the following Thursday in Donnybrook?

That's just what I was thinking; a trick as idiotic like this and it comes back to bite you in no time. Any player who getting 4 suspensions is just drawing bad attention to his club and all of their teams; it isn't as if the Branch don't know this sort of a stunt isn't going on.

How did he get away with it? Did the club send someone else to the disciplinary hearings the following Thursday in Donnybrook?

Easy a player who is injured anyway goes and takes the suspension, the injury risk is an issue but to be honest I don't think anyone would be checking team sheets or suspensions in the case of an injury.
    That's just what I was thinking; a trick as idiotic like this and it comes back to bite you in no time. Any player who getting 4 suspensions is just drawing bad attention to his club and all of their teams; it isn't as if the Branch don't know this sort of a stunt isn't going on.

This is going back to the 90's when I played for Greystones but it is an example of why names and ID numbers are irrelevant without photo evidence. I wouldn't doubt for one second the practice still goes on though.

Easy a player who is injured anyway goes and takes the suspension, the injury risk is an issue but to be honest I don't think anyone would be checking team sheets or suspensions in the case of an injury.

This is going back to the 90's when I played for Greystones but it is an example of why names and ID numbers are irrelevant without photo evidence. I wouldn't doubt for one second the practice still goes on though.

If a citing results from some dangerous play that caused the injury, it can get messy.
    It's one of the things the Branch are keen to stamp out, nearly as much as older kids playing in the wrong age groups at underage level.

Makes sense that it took place in the 90s.
    The current ID system only came in back in 2006 and means it's trickier for clubs to get away with things like that nowadays.
    It certainly helps that all underage players have a photo associated with them on the Player Reg system and it's something the Branch are eventually going to introduce at adult level. The system already has the capability to hold player photos on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

If a citing results from some dangerous play that caused the injury, it can get messy.
    It's one of the things the Branch are keen to stamp out, nearly as much as older kids playing in the wrong age groups at underage level.

Makes sense that it took place in the 90s.
    The current ID system only came in back in 2006 and means it's trickier for clubs to get away with things like that nowadays.
    It certainly helps that all underage players have a photo associated with them on the Player Reg system and it's something the Branch are eventually going to introduce at adult level. The system already has the capability to hold player photos on it.

Good. It's the only way to clear it up for certain. Clubs will police it fairly well themselves then.

We have started videoing our games, the more clubs that do that, the less it will happen. However I still believe you just get on with it, if other clubs can't play fair, then any victories are hollow one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Railway union play just off the Sydney parade dart stop, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Railway union play just off the Sydney parade dart stop, right?

They're pretty much right across the road from Monkstown I think. You back tomorrow?

molloyjh wrote: »
    They're pretty much right across the road from Monkstown I think. You back tomorrow?

Yeah, half looking forward to it/half dreading it. Carrying a extra few percent of body fat and mince pies and haven't been able to do much running with my injury... Should be, er, interesting? :D

Are you heading down?

Yeah, half looking forward to it/half dreading it. Carrying a extra few percent of body fat and mince pies and haven't been able to do much running with my injury... Should be, er, interesting? :D

Are you heading down?

Yeah. For various reasons I missed the last 2 weeks of training so it's nearly a month now since I've been in any way active. Plus all the Christmas pounds. Really have to get back into it now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

We have started videoing our games, the more clubs that do that, the less it will happen. However I still believe you just get on with it, if other clubs can't play fair, then any victories are hollow one way or the other.

How so you don't know who's who, who is registered as who or who is playing as someone else. So you've a video so what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Chances of games being called off this morning? We have railway union away from home, hopefully the pitch is playable.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Chances of games being called off this morning? We have railway union away from home, hopefully the pitch is playable.

Yeah no texts from the club so must be good to go, but it was coming down heavy last night. Bring your snorkel just incase.

Yeah no texts from the club so must be good to go, but it was coming down heavy last night. Bring your snorkel just incase.

What's the story with wearing wellies and a wetsuit? Don't think the boss will be happy with the state of the gear I'm going to bring back to the apartment afterwards.

article-2237242-162E71BF000005DC-171_964x657.jpg

I could manage a decent kick chase on one if those!

• Advertisement

I could manage a decent kick chase on one if those!

The full back, megatron in the green and white, behind the trees, looks like a big unit

The full back, megatron in the green and white, behind the trees, looks like a big unit

And it's off....damn it....

Clontarf v railway union is off. Lazy day by the tv then

Bah, was looking forward to it.

No padding on the posts and flags are not up.
    Game is called off!

gaius c wrote: »
    No padding on the posts and flags are not up.
    Game is called off!

They're just beneath that small puddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ah was looking forward to playing. Chilled out day ahead by looks of it.

chris85 wrote: »
    Ah was looking forward to playing. Chilled out day ahead by looks of it.

Yeah kinda deflating, but there's a good bit of rugby on the telly today anyhow!

Yeah kinda deflating, but there's a good bit of rugby on the telly today anyhow!

True but only have basic UPC so wait till later for the Leinster game. Thats all I got. May pop down to the club for the firsts game in Clontarf.

First day back training last night. Absolutely in ribbons. Feels like the first day of the season. Too many mince pies over the festive season!

• Advertisement

First day back training last night. Absolutely in ribbons. Feels like the first day of the season. Too many mince pies over the festive season!

I'm assuming you couldn't wear studs on the astro? Any word on when Clontarf re-opens?

I'm assuming you couldn't wear studs on the astro? Any word on when Clontarf re-opens?

Nah actually had a pair of astro boots from when the pitch at clontarf was like concrete. Saw some guys wearing studs though, some guys just wore runners and some mouldies.

No word, reckon there won't by any training on it this week and fingers crossed it holds up for the game on the weekend.

Nah actually had a pair of astro boots from when the pitch at clontarf was like concrete. Saw some guys wearing studs though, some guys just wore runners and some mouldies.

No word, reckon there won't by any training on it this week and fingers crossed it holds up for the game on the weekend.

Hopefully. Couldn't make last night but I really need to get back into it!

Hopefully. Couldn't make last night but I really need to get back into it!

It was horrible. People puking everywhere. :D My recommendation is if you haven't being doing fitness then get on it now, do some running, sprinting, stationary bike work, anything to get the fitness levels up, and crap loads of stretching.

I was running silly slow, but that was part coming back from injury but mostly because I was so stiff. Feckin props were over taking me in the sprints. :D

It was horrible. People puking everywhere. :D My recommendation is if you haven't being doing fitness then get on it now, do some running, sprinting, stationary bike work, anything to get the fitness levels up, and crap loads of stretching.

I was running silly slow, but that was part coming back from injury but mostly because I was so stiff. Feckin props were over taking me in the sprints. :D

I was suffering man flu last night so I had to give it a miss. I've been in the gym quite a bit since we finished up at the start of December, so I hope I'll be okay when I'm back.

Chances of us being let near the pitches in Clontarf on Saturday???

I was suffering man flu last night so I had to give it a miss. I've been in the gym quite a bit since we finished up at the start of December, so I hope I'll be okay when I'm back.

Chances of us being let near the pitches in Clontarf on Saturday???

Really not sure. If it stops raining between now and then who knows. AFAIK the first pitch is fine, it's just the training the pitch that's fecked.

I'd say you'll be grand if you were keeping up fitness wise. I had to stop running from late November because of a stress fracture and ofcourse the healthy eating went out the window, so last night was hellish.

will they let us play on the first pitch though? I remember last year when we had to play a game against Normans in St paul's school and the 4ths played on the training pitch, which was a mud bath.

Hopefully the rain will hold off and we'll get the game played.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It was horrible. People puking everywhere. :DMy recommendation is if you haven't being doing fitness then get on it now, do some running, sprinting, stationary bike work, anything to get the fitness levels up, and crap loads of stretching.

If you don't feel like going outside/to the gym, get yourself a set of kettle bells. Great work out from the comfort of your own living room.

Currently doing this one a few times a week and seeing massive benefits.

Apparently Lidl had em a couple of weeks ago and Elverys had 12 and 16Kg bells for €20 each last month. Gettable cheap if you shop around and WELL worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Can I ask what a ringer is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Woody1997 wrote: »

Someone who plays at a much higher standard lining out for a lower standard team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Woody1997 wrote: »
    Player who usually plays at much higher level plays at lower level to help side at lower level win. ie player who usually plays at j2 level plays for the clubs j4 or j5 side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Someone who plays at a much higher standard lining out for a lower standard team.

Could it be a player who was out the night before and needs to be rung several times to wake him?

We have plenty of ringers on our team.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Also known as a "banger".

We (Clontarf) play Emerald Warriors this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, the last game was very close and the best team won...unfortunately it was them.

Hopefully we'll play better this time around and not get caught out for some cheap penalties and tries like we did the last time out.

It was nice to get back into it on Saturday, after our last two games had been called off. losing to Terenure wasn't much fun, especially when we were leading 16-0 at half time. I didn't like that they switched to uncontested scrums for the second half, and taking off their heavier lads, to allow them to get momentum in the second half.

We (Clontarf) play Emerald Warriors this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, the last game was very close and the best team won...unfortunately it was them.

Hopefully we'll play better this time around and not get caught out for some cheap penalties and tries like we did the last time out.

It was nice to get back into it on Saturday, after our last two games had been called off. losing to Terenure wasn't much fun, especially when we were leading 16-0 at half time. I didn't like that they switched to uncontested scrums for the second half, and taking off their heavier lads, to allow them to get momentum in the second half.

Think there was some silly buggers towards the end of the game alright in terms of subs.

I didn't get on but that result was still very hard to take!

• Advertisement

Think there was some silly buggers towards the end of the game alright in terms of subs.

I didn't get on but that result was still very hard to take!

They have a decent team, and some good backs. I didn't think there was any need for some of the messing around they did. The outhalf and scrumhalf in particular had a decent enough second half, but this is rugby, not soccer, I don't have time for the nonsense these two were at towards the end. I thought they let their team down pretty badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seapoint beat UCD 20-19 in one of our typically close matches - the lead changed hands several times, but a single penalty in the second half decided it.

Tarf J4 won out in Wanderers, game blew up with a few mins to go with a bad leg break for Wanderers man. Looked fairly nasty when I saw before the Ambo got there. Any word on how hes doing?

Going to be an interesting end to the season.
    Playoffs to decide the league winners & promotion as well as a playoff to decide the relegated team.
    Only one goes up and one goes down.

Thought automatic relegation for the bottom team and a playoff between second last and second in the league below would be a better way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

gaius c wrote: »
    Going to be an interesting end to the season.
    Playoffs to decide the league winners & promotion as well as a playoff to decide the relegated team.
    Only one goes up and one goes down.

Thought automatic relegation for the bottom team and a playoff between second last and second in the league below would be a better way to do it.

Are you sure on this my understanding was top team promoted bottom team relegated and second plays second last from league above in a promotion relegation match

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement