Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Thanks all for the replies, I live just off Merrion Road near Vincent's hospital.
    I might heed the advice and give one of the clubs a shout now rather than waiting for August. Ah I would hope to play at a higher level in due course but I'll learn to walk before I try and run.
    It's really stupid stuff I can't do, like I can pass pretty well off my good side but just cannot pass the opposite way whatsoever. Even in GAA though I'm very strong carrying the ball and really enjoy smashing into things so I presume that'll transfer to a degree.

Pretty excited about giving it a go and thanks all for the advice.

Yeah get stuck in straight away. The team will welcome new people all year round. J4/5 is good level to learn the game and you can move up as you progress.

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Warriors V Clontarf match rescheduled Feb 8th at 11am Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »

Well that's a pretty horrible time....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ireland play Wales that day at 2.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Jesus Christ......company night out on the Friday and going to the Wales match afterwards. I'll be in bed by 6pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Unidare V Bective was re-scheduled to the exact same time slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well that's a pretty horrible time....

Peter O'Mahony was interviewed recently about early kick offs and how they have to eat a full meal at 9am for a 12:30 kick off.

Enjoy the 8am fry Stephen!!

Malahide v Unidare this weekend, top o' the table clash in Metro 9.

Malahide Abú

Winters wrote: »
    Peter O'Mahony was interviewed recently about early kick offs and how they have to eat a full meal at 9am for a 12:30 kick off.

Enjoy the 8am fry Stephen!!

Malahide v Unidare this weekend, top o' the table clash in Metro 9.

Malahide Abú

Just get a kebab in at 4am on the way home from the pub, you'll be set up for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cloneslad wrote: »
    Just get a kebab in at 4am on the way home from the pub, you'll be set up for the day

I'd skip going home and just get the kebab and head straight to the match.

Think they are trying to see if it can be played on the Friday night instead, if that suits the Clontarf lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Think they are trying to see if it can be played on the Friday night instead, if that suits the Clontarf lads.

Dunno, I'd almost prefer an early morning start. Playing a game after work? Ugh...

Either way isn't ideal though, so at this stage either time will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd much rather the Friday myself. If kick-off were 11am then pre-match warm up would start at about 9:30. For me to get out there for that time I'd need to be up sometime around 7-7:30. On a Saturday. Now that's "Ugh".

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd much rather the Friday myself. If kick-off were 11am then pre-match warm up would start at about 9:30. For me to get out there for that time I'd need to be up sometime around 7-7:30. On a Saturday. Now that's "Ugh".

Just spend the night in the Marine hotel with the missus. ;)

Nobody found your boots by the way, sorry forgot to text you last night. Try the club facebook or maybe ring the club?

Friday nights under the lights are the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Friday nights under the lights are the best!

Couldnt agree more, great start to the weekend with a few pints usually afterwards. Although have Friday kick off this week Vs Naas away and will be late by time get back with an 8pm kick off.

Night games don't really suit me as I could be working, then again having to get up at 8 on a Saturday morning to trek from Kilcoole to Sutton isn't appealing either if you only get to bed at 3. Poxy rain!

We should all chip in for a 4G pitch to use during the winter, just line the games up one after another on it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

.ak wrote: »
    We should all chip in for a 4G pitch to use during the winter, just line the games up one after another on it. ;)

We are doing well this year, the year with the snow December, Jan and early Feb where written off .

Haven't played or trained on an artificial pitch. Anyone here done it? What's it like?

Are Lansdowne RFC the only club to have one?

Haven't played or trained on an artificial pitch. Anyone here done it? What's it like?

Springy . Hell on the calves. UCD have one too

• Advertisement

Only walked/ran on one before. Feels a bit weird. You expect it to be like astro but it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I quite like it. Very consistent and great for running rugby. Kicks don't bounce as unpredictably as you'd expect either. Boots nice and clean after. You're picking black bits out of your bag for months after though.

Cuts the knees and elbows off you though, I come off it looking like I have been attacked with a knife because of the psoriasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Springy . Hell on the calves. UCD have one too

There is one in Maynooth NUI as well; Barnhall use it for some home fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

We've played against UCD on their artificial pitch the last three seasons. I really like it personally - even in crappy conditions; it still tends to be a quick enough match. I think Cill Dara might have one too.

I wouldn't mind this. I could miss the start of our work night out and just meet them in the pub afterwards.

Friday night games, under the lights, are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Artificial pitches are woeful. They might be grand for backs but for the lads who actually have to do some work they suck. They have absolutely no give in them, ended up with massive amount of bruises and carpet burn because the ground is so hard after the last time I played on one. Picking black plastic out of your wounds in the shower afterwards is the worst.

Teferi wrote: »
    Artificial pitches are woeful. They might be grand for backs but for the lads who actually have to do some work they suck. They have absolutely no give in them, ended up with massive amount of bruises and carpet burn because the ground is so hard after the last time I played on one. Picking black plastic out of your wounds in the shower afterwards is the worst.

Isn't there different grades though? Like the really high end ones like the Sarries use are supposed to be quite soft?

As a prop I've found UCD's pitch fine; though I'd agree that you're picking the bits of black rubber out of your gear for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Isn't there different grades though? Like the really high end ones like the Sarries use are supposed to be quite soft?

Yeah I'm sure if you have the money to sink into them you can get ones that are nice and plush. I've played on UCD and Lansdowne - I'd grade UCD as "really sore" and Lansdowne as "slightly less sore".

Yeah I'm sure if you have the money to sink into them you can get ones that are nice and plush. I've played on UCD and Lansdowne - I'd grade UCD as "really sore" and Lansdowne as "slightly less sore".

Suppose that's what you get for going off your feet so much. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thought i would stick this here for those who it may apply to:
    Bective Rangers is hostin a meeting in Kiely's of Donnybrook on Monday 10th February at 8pm, in regards to the Leinster Vets (Overs 35s) finals day. Over the last six seasons players and the supporters of the League have raised over €45,000 for cardiac and cancer wards in Crumlin Children's Hospital.
    There is absolutely no obligation to raise money for the hospital in order to play in the League. Each participating team is asked to raise money for the hospital through sponsorship cards, handed out to players and supporters and/or through individual club events.
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/branch/11235.php

Also if it isnt an issue(Mods move elsewhere if it is) Bective Rangers next Sunday are organising a walk from Donnybrook to over the Wild Mountain Side to Glencullen (Johnny Fox’s Pub) in memory of Mick O Loughlin, former club member/player/coach who died a few years ago.. Departs Bective @ 9.00am sharp or Yellow House Rathfarnham @ 10.00am or Kilmashogue Car Park @ 10.30am
    http://www.bectiverangers.com/component/k2/item/4-sky-sports
    Mick is father of Rory o Loughlin, who may push for irish 20s squad place later in the season if he regains his fitness after injury. Mick also coached me in Dublin for a few years. great man RIP

Thought i would stick this here for those who it may apply to:
    Bective Rangers is hostin a meeting in Kiely's of Donnybrook on Monday 10th February at 8pm, in regards to the Leinster Vets (Overs 35s) finals day. Over the last six seasons players and the supporters of the League have raised over €45,000 for cardiac and cancer wards in Crumlin Children's Hospital.
    There is absolutely no obligation to raise money for the hospital in order to play in the League. Each participating team is asked to raise money for the hospital through sponsorship cards, handed out to players and supporters and/or through individual club events.
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/branch/11235.php

I've read that a couple of times and the site too but still can't figure out, is this about the final of the veterans league or is it a specific tournament Bective are running separate to the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I've read that a couple of times and the site too but still can't figure out, is this about the final of the veterans league or is it a specific tournament Bective are running separate to the league?
    final of the league. Bective were original organisers of vets league so i assume they still have major say in running it nowadays

After rucking on astro, I've pulled crap out of my knees months later.

• Advertisement

First night back tonight after 2 months out. Kettle bells do NOT make up for lack of circuits and general field work >_<

Stop raining please. :mad:

How are the pitches looking out in sutton this week Stephen?

Stop raining please. :mad:

How are the pitches looking out in sutton this week Stephen?

Who cares? How are they looking at Railway Union because that's where you'll be.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Who cares? How are they looking at Railway Union because that's where you'll be.

Damnit. I need my coffee. :(

It doesn't rain on the south side anyway I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The astro in Lansdowne is great to play on.
    Played there several times against their J1 team (and J2 and J3!!) and loved it.
    UCD... definitely not so much.

• Advertisement

How are the J4 and J5 leagues going? Not been able to keep as much of an eye on them this year.

Damnit. I need my coffee. :(

It doesn't rain on the south side anyway I hear.

It was snowing when I left Clontarf for a match last season, I got sunburnt looking out the window as I went through the east link. :cool:
    How are the J4 and J5 leagues going? Not been able to keep as much of an eye on them this year.

Some close divisions, top two go into a final.

You can click through the differnet divisions by going to the 'fixture results tables' section on the top left, then selecting men and metro league.

http://sportsmanager.ie/cake/rugby/leinsterNew/league/71119/division10

Ah yeah but sometimes the league tables don't tell all.

I really hate this final play off crap. I am coaching our J3's (and back playing after 2 years!! Yippee) and will have to play one too

14:30 Dublin University vs Wexford Wanderers
    14:30 Gorey vs Millmount House More
    14:30 Malahide vs Unidare More
    14:30 Wexford Wanderers vs Dublin University

Div 9 fixtures look a bit mad . Wexford and Trinity playing both home and away at the same time :eek:

They've actually agreed to play home and away fixtures as 1 down in Wexford so 8 pointer .

Yeah to be honest our league (div 10) has been a bit jekyll and hyde. Terenure have been the most consistent I think. They have some real tidy players and twice we've been ahead of them by a distance at HT and twice they've won it. They obviously have an experienced team in that division and know how to win games and don't lose the head. In contrast to that a lot of the teams would change from game to game because most teams in that division are definitely development teams. Even though we're (Tarf) are pretty low on points I think we've been one of the more consistent teams too, we've kept our shape for most of the season and have lost most of our games down to a missed tackle or two. Contrast that between some of the other teams who go out and absolutely muller a team and then the next week get nilled them selves.

Yeah to be honest our league (div 10) has been a bit jekyll and hyde. Terenure have been the most consistent I think. They have some real tidy players and twice we've been ahead of them by a distance at HT and twice they've won it. They obviously have an experienced team in that division and know how to win games and don't lose the head. In contrast to that a lot of the teams would change from game to game because most teams in that division are definitely development teams. Even though we're (Tarf) are pretty low on points I think we've been one of the more consistent teams too, we've kept our shape for most of the season and have lost most of our games down to a missed tackle or two. Contrast that between some of the other teams who go out and absolutely muller a team and then the next week get nilled them selves.

Railway Union were a much better side than Terenure, in my opinion.

I don't think we looked like scoring against Railway Union when we played them earlier in the season and we should have been out of sight of Terenure in both games, but failed to capitalise when we had the lead.

Monkstown and Bective have both conceded games, which is hampering them on the table. Bective, to be fair to them, were happy to play contested scrums against us the whole way through the game despite it being a disadvantage to them.

I really hate this final play off crap

I'm in 2 minds about it. I like how there's still something to play for if you come 2nd, but I think I prefer a previous suggestion here that 1st in the league wins outright and gets promoted, and the 2nd placed team plays the 2nd last team in the league above for promotion.

Having the possibility of 2 two teams moving up and down will probably balance the leagues a bit sooner; I'm not sure how they decided how the teams were distributed in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm in 2 minds about it. I like how there's still something to play for if you come 2nd, but I think I prefer a previous suggestion here that 1st in the league wins outright and gets promoted, and the 2nd placed team plays the 2nd last team in the league above for promotion.

Having the possibility of 2 two teams moving up and down will probably balance the leagues a bit sooner; I'm not sure how they decided how the teams were distributed in the first place.

I think they took all the leagues from last year, from J1 to J6, listed them in finishing order then went along and took top 8 for League 1, second 8 for league 2 and so on.

There was probably some swapping around as there couldn't be two teams from the same club in a league and I know a couple of teams who were placed in league 10 initially but asked to play league 9 and so on

I've just seen that the Clontarf v Monkstown game (Div 10) has been moved from Feb 1st (sat) to Wednesday February 5th at 7:45pm.

Beats training!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement