Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

gaius c wrote: »
    Games going ahead tomorrow I wonder? Lot of rain earlier.

It's nice enough this morning, hopefully the games are good to go ahead. My neck and shoulders are still sore from Tuesday's match, but they should be fine after a warm up.

We are playing Mary's at 12 so it's almost time to get ready now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Railway hammered us yesterday, not sure of the final score, they're a very good team, well drilled, with a couple of outstanding players, their 7,13 and 15 could all easily play much higher. We didn't really help ourselves but as we are seriously struggling for numbers since Xmas, it's just a case of limping to the end of the season and hopefully not getting relegated. Mary's next week is a must win for is now.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Railway hammered us yesterday, not sure of the final score, they're a very good team, well drilled, with a couple of outstanding players, their 7,13 and 15 could all easily play much higher. We didn't really help ourselves but as we are seriously struggling for numbers since Xmas, it's just a case of limping to the end of the season and hopefully not getting relegated. Mary's next week is a must win for is now.

We have our match against railway next week, the replay of the game that got called off after 55/56 mins.

We played Mary's yesterday, the windy conditions made the lineouts impossible to establish a solid platform from.

We were 7-3 down at half time and had the wind at our backs for the second half. We got another 2 penalties which were successfully kicked by our little ginger wizard (I know he reads this).

Mary's came back strongly at us and there were a lot of tackles needed on both sides. They had a penalty with about 10 mins left but the wind was against them and they missed. We were still 9-7 up with the last phase of the game and gave away a penalty in the middle of the pitch, about 22 metres out. Luckily the wind took the ball away from the posts and we were able to get the win.

Mary's put in a great performance, their 1st/2nd centre (grey haired guy) had a very good game and broke the gain line quite often. Their prop is a god damn mountain on of a man, and he surprised me by being fit to pay the full 80 mins. They've definitely improved from earlier in the season, and I don't know how they haven't picked up a win yet (apart from the walkover)

I thought the ref was good as we'll, he played very short advantages, but was very clear in explaining how he would be basing his decisions. If he missed a knock on etc he was very honest in saying he just couldn't see it so he can't call it. That's two very good refs in a row we've had this week.

Is there a relegation play off or is it straight forward bottom team drops? I thought there was a play off but one of the other lads yesterday was sure it wasn't.

Is there a relegation play off or is it straight forward bottom team drops? I thought there was a play off but one of the other lads yesterday was sure it wasn't.

Bottom two in a play off with the higher of the two having home advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The more I see them picking up steam like they had before Christmas the more annoyed I am that our game got called off with minutes to spare. Whilst I'm confident our lads could replicate the performance I'm not sure railway will be as poor, they made some mad decisions and the game quickly got away from them, plus they'll be riled up for the way we moved them around the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It appears that there might not be.

An email from Leinster branch:
    Proposed dates for Metro League Divisional Playoffs

Below are the proposed dates for the playoffs that will determine the winners as well as promotion and relegation in the Metro Leagues.

The winner and promotion will be decided by the team that finishes top of the Division playing off at home against the team that finishes second.

Relegation, where appropriate will be decided by the team finishing seventh playing off at home against the team that finishes last.

ddvBH8T.png

These dates are subject to change.

Regards

Dermot O Mahony

I think it's n/a for the lower divisions because of the number of games that were called off. Division 10, for example, has 2 matches on the weekend of the 15th, which is when quite a few of the other play offs seem to have been arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

Their prop is a god damn mountain on of a man, and he surprised me by being fit to pay the full 80 mins.

He surprised himself too... Gutted to lose that game yesterday.. Not saying we should have won or take away from tarf but we just worked our arses off!!! Disappointing to see it appears a straight relegation...
    While I'm here how is the tarf flanker after said prop tried to break him??

So it's clear as mud then lol

Railways 10 is a glory hunter, butchered about 4-5 tries they would have got, 13 runs hard and really good angles but if you get a shooter to the outside of the 10 you fairly much shut down their backline as the 10 will try go himself, worked for us in the second 20 of the first half but he just sat deep and hoofed the ball in the second half, with a massive wind behind him.

• Advertisement

BohToffee wrote: »
    Their prop is a god damn mountain on of a man, and he surprised me by being fit to pay the full 80 mins.

He surprised himself too... Gutted to lose that game yesterday.. Not saying we should have won or take away from tarf but we just worked our arses off!!! Disappointing to see it appears a straight relegation...
    While I'm here how is the tarf flanker after said prop tried to break him??

He's fine, I think it's when he got landed on that the problem occurred. He played the full 80mins and was out with us last night, so he'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bort Ort

Where did that list of teams someone posted for the Winters Cup come from? Branch regulations from earlier in the season said that Div 5 & 6 would be Moran cup and Div7-9 would be Winters. There is a massive difference between Div 6 and Div 8 & 9.

Also, this whole playoff thing is a load of pants!! It's grand for professional rugby where you're trying to make more money buy selling a few more tickets but I can't see anyone paying in to watch a Junior rugby final with the possible exception of some people's ma / da. Should be winner's get to win the league.

Also think it should also be 2 up, 2 down from each division. Keeps the something to play for till the end concept but will result in a quicker levelling out of the divisions. And even when they have found their level, it will be better to mix the teams around more - you don't really want to play 4/5 of the same teams every single season for years on end. More promotion relegation will create more variety too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Bort Ort wrote: »
    Where did that list of teams someone posted for the Winters Cup come from? Branch regulations from earlier in the season said that Div 5 & 6 would be Moran cup and Div7-9 would be Winters. There is a massive difference between Div 6 and Div 8 & 9.

Also, this whole playoff thing is a load of pants!! It's grand for professional rugby where you're trying to make more money buy selling a few more tickets but I can't see anyone paying in to watch a Junior rugby final with the possible exception of some people's ma / da. Should be winner's get to win the league.

Also think it should also be 2 up, 2 down from each division. Keeps the something to play for till the end concept but will result in a quicker levelling out of the divisions. And even when they have found their level, it will be better to mix the teams around more - you don't really want to play 4/5 of the same teams every single season for years on end. More promotion relegation will create more variety too.

I agree, or even something like - champions are promoted, team that finishes last are relegated. Team that finishes second has a playoff with the team who finishes second last in league above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bort Ort wrote: »
    Where did that list of teams someone posted for the Winters Cup come from?

The Branch.

Stephe_n & Bohtoffee good luck in your match against each other tomorrow. It should be a good game, if you both play like you did when you played us.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Stephe_n & Bohtoffee good luck in your match against each other tomorrow. It should be a good game, if you both play like you did when you played us.

Cheers, will be a big match for both clubs, unfortunately I have to sit this one out, my season could be over, strained the ligaments in my knee last weekend.

Cheers, will be a big match for both clubs, unfortunately I have to sit this one out, my season could be over, strained the ligaments in my knee last weekend.

it looks like you just weren't destined to play clontarf this year.

Pre-season friendly was cancelled, you missed the first league match, the return match has been postponed about 17 million times, and now this.

Hopefully it's not too bad and you'll be back playing soon enough.

it looks like you just weren't destined to play clontarf this year.

Pre-season friendly was cancelled, you missed the first league match, the return match has been postponed about 17 million times, and now this.

Hopefully it's not too bad and you'll be back playing soon enough.

No it's looking that way alright lol Probably going back to Greystones next year, so it won't happen then either lol

No it's looking that way alright lol Probably going back to Greystones next year, so it won't happen then either lol

They are division 8, with a play off against Ternenure to come. They lost to them last week too, so you could be down in 9....it may happen in 2015-2016.

They are division 8, with a play off against Ternenure to come. They lost to them last week too, so you could be down in 9....it may happen in 2015-2016.

If I last that long lol at 42 I don't have many more miles in the tank, pity Greystones don't have a geriatrics team for me to retire too :)

• Advertisement

If I last that long lol at 42 I don't have many more miles in the tank, pity Greystones don't have a geriatrics team for me to retire too :)

Jesus, I thought I was pushing it because I turn 30 this year. There isn't a hope in hell I'll play at 42, no matter how much I hate my kids and need time away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Jesus, I thought I was pushing it because I turn 30 this year. There isn't a hope in hell I'll play at 42, no matter how much I hate my kids and need time away

Golf!! thats what thats for!

I have made more comebacks than the rolling stones at this stage :D it's hard to give up playing lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Has the cup draw been made? Hopefully I come up against some of you guys.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Has the cup draw been made? Hopefully I come up against some of you guys.

It hasn't been made yet, Who do you play for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tallaght, as far as I'm aware none of the other posters here play in our division so it would be nice to draw a team with some of you lads playing.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Tallaght, as far as I'm aware none of the other posters here play in our division so it would be nice to draw a team with some of you lads playing.

You are division 7, which rules you out of our cup.

From what we were told the other night our cup will be just division 10 and 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You are division 7, which rules you out of our cup.

From what we were told the other night our cup will be just division 10 and 11.

The rest of us are 6, 7, 8 and 9 though

The rest of us are 6, 7, 8 and 9 though

Get out of here with your contested scrums and your tackling.

It's all hugs and handbags in the real leagues of division 10 & 11

• Advertisement

Pfft. I'd say you guys actually pass the ball during games, you flash gits.

.ak wrote: »
    Pfft. I'd say you guys actually pass the ball during games, you flash fits.

They prob take those lifty throw things when the ball goes out of play, and then make of those the fancy stand up, group, pushy things while they hug each other until one of them puts the odd shaped ball in the touchdown goal homerun zone.

Mary's beat Warriors 14-6 great game of Rugby and probably even closer than the score line suggests. We definitely created more try scoring chances but failed at the last hurdle repeatedly, of course Mary's deserve credit for their last ditch defending then too. I ended up playing despite the well dodgy knee as we are really down to the bare bones players wise. Still was a very good game of rugby and mostly played in good spirit. Said it before and will say it again, Mary's have taken the ethos of the division and stuck to it, for that they deserve a lot of credit, developing players and learning as they go, in that I really don't begrudge them the win, despite the effect it has on us. Today is one of those days I know why I love this game so much.

Mary's beat Warriors 14-6 great game of Rugby and probably even closer than the score line suggests. We definitely created more try scoring chances but failed at the last hurdle repeatedly, of course Mary's deserve credit for their last ditch defending then too. I ended up playing despite the well dodgy knee as we are really down to the bare bones players wise. Still was a very good game of rugby and mostly played in good spirit. Said it before and will say it again, Mary's have taken the ethos of the division and stuck to it, for that they deserve a lot of credit, developing players and learning as they go, in that I really don't begrudge them the win, despite the effect it has on us. Today is one of those days I know why I love this game so much.

Second those thoughts re the marys team. Credit to their club and you always turn up knowing there wont be any stacking going on.

Tarf lost to railway union yesterday. Another game we should have won with some poor tackling at crucial points being the difference between the two sides. Think they won by 9 in the end but scored a try with a turnover breakaway at the last play of the game.

All down to our match against Clontarf, though by the sounds of things, it being on Paddys weekend, which I hadn't realised, we may really struggle to field a team :(

Clontarf V Monkstown (div 10) has been switched from this Friday to Tuesday 18th of March.

I'm happy enough with that as I wouldn't have been able to play this week, although I'm not sure if I'll be fit to play next week either. Physio tonight / tomorrow (whenever I get an available appointment) should let me know more.

• Advertisement

Clontarf V Monkstown (div 10) has been switched from this Friday to Tuesday 18th of March.

I'm happy enough with that as I wouldn't have been able to play this week, although I'm not sure if I'll be fit to play next week either. Physio tonight / tomorrow (whenever I get an available appointment) should let me know more.

Why was it switched do you know?

Fecks sake. :mad:

Well the Tarf are touring to Wales on Saturday, so I would have thought with around thirty guys missing that we would have struggled for numbers. Obviously .ak isn't a happy bunny as he was looking forward to his first start at tight head prop...

I'm not sure, I know we are away on tour this weekend but I don't think they were looking to switch it because of that. We were going to give a game to the guys who have been subbing all year and aren't going on tour.
    Fecks sake. :mad:

I thought you weren't around this weekend anyway? I know you are away the following one because you are hoping to make the squad for the France game

I thought you weren't around this weekend anyway?

I'm not, but that was when it was scheduled for Saturday. Then it was moved to Friday and I could make it. Now it's scheduled for when I'm away. So that's any chance of game time gone out the window.
    I know you are away the following one because you are hoping to make the squad for the France game

Yeah but apparently Szarzewski isn't badly injured. :mad:

• Advertisement

That means you have two games in three days with Paddy's day in the middle! That will be rough lol

I'm not, but that was when it was scheduled for Saturday. Then it was moved to Friday and I could make it. Now it's scheduled for when I'm away. So that's any chance of game time gone out the window.

Yeah but apparently Szarzewski isn't badly injured. :mad:

Are you going to watch the rugby or are you emigrating? How long do you need to spend ther?

That means you have two games in three days with Paddy's day in the middle! That will be rough lol

Yeah, but the Saturday game is just a stroll in the park ;)

Yeah, but the Saturday game is just a stroll in the park ;)

It might well be lol don't know what the branch were thinking having a game on that weekend.

It might well be lol don't know what the branch were thinking having a game on that weekend.

They understand how dedicated everyone is to their rugby and would never let alcohol get in the way of their training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Me either, one of the biggest days of international rugby of the year and a 3pm game is scheduled. Not ideal. Also a bank holiday weekend which doesnt help. Figured this weekend would have no games on.

Basically comes down to the 2 mins in that Railway Union game, if they had no insisted on rearranging that game, it would have been played by now, maybe the branch didn't know there was an international that weekend :rolleyes:

chris85 wrote: »
    Me either, one of the biggest days of international rugby of the year and a 3pm game is scheduled. Not ideal. Also a bank holiday weekend which doesnt help. Figured this weekend would have no games on.

Sure Tommy Bowe wasn't picked in the Irish squad, no need to worry about it. Some lad called Brian is apparently finishing up that weekend, I hear he was given his p45 so he could make way for local Belfast lad Jared Payne.

Basically comes down to the 2 mins in that Railway Union game, if they had no insisted on rearranging that game, it would have been played by now, maybe the branch didn't know there was an international that weekend :rolleyes:

True, and to make it worse we were eating them with 3-4 minutes to go last weekend and lost. I'd like to see them win the league out though, they were a much more sporting side than Terenure, and they were very humble in victory.

True, and to make it worse we were eating them with 3-4 minutes to go last weekend and lost. I'd like to see them win the league out though, they were a much more sporting side than Terenure, and they were very humble in victory.

Yeah they were a nice bunch of lads, couldn't really say the same about Terenure tbh.

When does the cup start, could this not have been played the weekend after?

Not sure. Still don't know why it couldn't be played this Friday. :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement