Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Teferi wrote: »
    Division 6 decider tomorrow! Excited for it.

Bit of a surprise result there I think.

Edit: seen other posts now. Losing your 10 will do that to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

By the way, for the Tarf lads, who came up with your calls and victory dance? Was hard to tell which was the gayest team yesterday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

ALL the teams in the club sing that ..........can only imagine a 5 year old writing it but we cant break from tradition now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

stephen_n wrote: »
    By the way, for the Tarf lads, who came up with your calls and victory dance? Was hard to tell which was the gayest team yesterday :pac:

The lads told me that one of your team said 'and I thought we were the gay team' when they heard the song.

I refuse to sing it, it makes no sense. If they change it to 'stand up for the ulster men' then I'll happily get on board.

Yeah Ray said that lol but pink disco ball? wtf I was expecting a chorus line off the back of the scrum :)

• Advertisement

Yeah Ray said that lol but pink disco ball? wtf I was expecting a chorus line off the back of the scrum :)

That's not one of the calls for any of the moves, I think you miss heard that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

gaius c wrote: »
    Bit of a surprise result there I think.

Edit: seen other posts now. Losing your 10 will do that to you.

If I was a lesser man I would be insulted by that. Both nure and Tarf won a game against each other during the league, both games finishing 18 - 12. We were evenly matched throughout the competition and we done the business on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah nure and tarf seem to be fairly even matched in most of the games I've seen, in both div 6 and 10.

cloneslad wrote: »
    That's not one of the calls for any of the moves, I think you miss heard that one.

Maybe so but it was something to do with a colour and disco, was asking your prop who the f**k came up with that one and he just laughed.

Maybe so but it was something to do with a colour and disco, was asking your prop who the f**k came up with that one and he just laughed.

Next time we play you I'm going to use YMCA in the line out call.

• Advertisement

except you wont be playing for a long time yet, ya cripple.....

except you wont be playing for a long time yet, ya cripple.....

Too soon, too soon :(

Too soon, too soon :(

Spend the time bulking up so you actually look like a hooker.

... And by bulking up I mean eating tea cakes by the kilo.

.ak wrote: »
    Spend the time bulking up so you actually look like a hooker.

... And by bulking up I mean eating tea cakes by the kilo.

I went to tesco today and bought myself some Ben and Jerry's ice cream.....I'm turning into Bridget Jones.

The ice cream was horrible by the way, peanut butter and raspberry??? I should have worn my glasses so I could read the flavour properly.

if we get a decent cup run, and looooooaaaaads of bad weather, I might make it back. It's good to be optimistic.

You have to last long enough to make the first lineout for that ;)

You have to last long enough to make the first lineout for that ;)

You must have forgotten the first one that we took around the 10 metre line and mauled you well inside the 22 before being taken down and getting the penalty.

I wish we had lost the second one, that's when I got illegally tackled by some guy who was jealous of my awesome lineout calls.

You must have forgotten the first one that we took around the 10 metre line and mauled you well inside the 22 before being taken down and getting the penalty.

I wish we had lost the second one, that's when I got illegally tackled by some guy who was jealous of my awesome lineout calls.

Well in fairness if you had missed that guy jumping at two, I'd have sent you to specsavers, the calls weren't hard to work out, it's going to 2 :)

Though your prop missed him a few times lol

... You can throw past 2 at J5 level? :/

Course you can, it's called missing the jumper lol

How dare you, I threw a 4 lob last Tuesday night......I may have accidentally called it and got scared when I realised what I had done, but Doug caught it, and I took credit for the brave call :o

• Advertisement

If I was a lesser man I would be insulted by that. Both nure and Tarf won a game against each other during the league, both games finishing 18 - 12. We were evenly matched throughout the competition and we done the business on the day.

Saw both in action. Thought Tarf were better drilled.

Saw both in action. Thought Tarf were better drilled.

I agree, however nure done the businness on the day.....tarfs tackling was poor to say the least and our kicking game was shocking (not points kicks but to touch and box kicks)

Based on what I saw, wet day in the league, I'd expect Tarf to win 9 times out of 10. Well drilled pack and basic but error-free back play.

Dry day in April for the cup, it would be a totally different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Based on what I saw, wet day in the league, I'd expect Tarf to win 9 times out of 10. Well drilled pack and basic but error-free back play.

Dry day in April for the cup, it would be a totally different story.

:confused:

A wet day would suit Tarf better than us. Their game plan is based on a very tight setpiece, good maul and putting a lot of ball through their forwards. We prefer a dry day where our backs can throw it around.

Again, it was a win a piece in the league and a win for us in the final (on a wet day, funnily enough). Their forwards are a hell of a lot more drilled than us, a very exceptional unit but I'd take our backs over theirs.

Two very evenly matched teams.

:confused:

A wet day would suit Tarf better than us. Their game plan is based on a very tight setpiece, good maul and putting a lot of ball through their forwards. We prefer a dry day where our backs can throw it around.

Again, it was a win a piece in the league and a win for us in the final (on a wet day, funnily enough). Their forwards are a hell of a lot more drilled than us, a very exceptional unit but I'd take our backs over theirs.

Two very evenly matched teams.
    Yes, that's what I said.

4 more weeks in the full leg brace, although they have unlocked it to allow me to bend it back and forth.

Definitely out for the rest of the season then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

slightly off j4/5 but was wondering what people thought about this, our 2nds were in a div3 relegation playoff against skerries last weekend, I was talking to a few of the lads before hand and they were saying that skerries had basically conceded their last 3 matches. This meant that we had to play for relegation with a team that had effectively dropped out of the league which seems a bit sh1t I know it was the stated system but thought the branch should be able to use a bit of common sense. As it turned out we won so its not an issue but could have been. To make things clear I didn't check these facts and I'm certainly not having a go at skerries, just wondering what people thought of this potential situation as it would have been a hard pill to swallow.

salmocab wrote: »
    slightly off j4/5 but was wondering what people thought about this, our 2nds were in a div3 relegation playoff against skerries last weekend, I was talking to a few of the lads before hand and they were saying that skerries had basically conceded their last 3 matches. This meant that we had to play for relegation with a team that had effectively dropped out of the league which seems a bit sh1t I know it was the stated system but thought the branch should be able to use a bit of common sense. As it turned out we won so its not an issue but could have been. To make things clear I didn't check these facts and I'm certainly not having a go at skerries, just wondering what people thought of this potential situation as it would have been a hard pill to swallow.

I dunno, but playing a team who'd conceded 3 matches on the trot seems better than playing a team that finished above you. Most teams that don't get much game time together are always rusty, no matter the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bort Ort

salmocab wrote: »

Thought the branch had automatic kick-out sanctions if you conceded more than 2 games? Seems like it should still apply especially as it will take a few years for teams to find their correct level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I dunno, but playing a team who'd conceded 3 matches on the trot seems better than playing a team that finished above you. Most teams that don't get much game time together are always rusty, no matter the level.

Or you get "dream teams" being formed just for a cup run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Or you get "dream teams" being formed just for a cup run.

Indeed! Is there any rules with regards to having played a certain number of league games in order to play in the cup?

shoutman wrote: »
    Indeed! Is there any rules with regards to having played a certain number of league games in order to play in the cup?

No it only applies to players who have played higher in this season, if they haven't played at all, then they're fine.

Going to tog out tomorrow against Tallaght in the J4 cup. I think that this will mean that I will have played in all levels of Junior cup in Dublin

No it only applies to players who have played higher in this season, if they haven't played at all, then they're fine.

And only in a certain number of matches. Is it starting 4-6 or something?
    No point punishing a player that is looking to get experience at higher levels.

And only in a certain number of matches. Is it starting 4-6 or something?
    No point punishing a player that is looking to get experience at higher levels.

It's more about stopping players going the other way i.e. J1's or J2's dropping down to J4 or J5 glory hunting for a cup run. Mostly what happens though is certain clubs field ex first team players, who just want a little bit of rugby but aren't going to turn out on a cold winters day, this is ok if they have dropped off hugely in fitness but otherwise is a little unfair.

• Advertisement

It's more about stopping players going the other way i.e. J1's or J2's dropping down to J4 or J5 glory hunting for a cup run. Mostly what happens though is certain clubs field ex first team players, who just want a little bit of rugby but aren't going to turn out on a cold winters day, this is ok if they have dropped off hugely in fitness but otherwise is a little unfair.

Oh I know that is what it meant to stop but the fact that you can start a few games above is to promote development

Oh I know that is what it meant to stop but the fact that you can start a few games above is to promote development

Yeah players should be allowed move up but I reckon anyone who has played J2 in a season shouldn't be playing J4 or J5 come cup time, J3's yeah no problem.

The gap between J3 and J5 is far bigger than J2 to J3. Clubs train with the j2/3 as a single squad, so players move constantly between teams.

Look we all know that there are certain clubs that will pull the piss in the coming weeks

The gap between J3 and J5 is far bigger than J2 to J3. Clubs train with the j2/3 as a single squad, so players move constantly between teams.

Look we all know that there are certain clubs that will pull the piss in the coming weeks

Yep that's the truth :)

In the end of the day, there's no point getting bent out of shape, because that will always be the case.

Yep that's the truth :)

And I say this as a guy that a few posts back stated that I was togging out with the J4 team tomorrow.

Every club has guys missing seasons, through injury or such, but I absolutely hate seeing J5 teams made up of guys that I remember playing at J2 (and even J1) levels

• Advertisement

And I say this as a guy that a few posts back stated that I was togging out with the J4 team tomorrow.

Every club has guys missing seasons, through injury or such, but I absolutely hate seeing J5 teams made up of guys that I remember playing at J2 (and even J1) levels

When I was a lot younger, we had two J8 teams in Greystones (Shows my age but also how big junior rugby was then) anyway one of those J8 teams had three ex international players playing on it, now in fairness they were in their late 40's by that stage but cups attract that sort of thing. Sure we played a J5 league match this year and the team we played had 3 players who played AIL last year in it, I think your drop isn't in the same ball park as that to be fair.

I think it's okay to drop down if you've not really played all season through injury and are trying to nurse yourself back in.

As annoying as it is for the opposition, why do these players think they can turn up in March / April and take the place of a player who has been playing and training since August?

If a manager or guys on the team had any respect for each other they wouldn't do that on someone who has been busting his ass throughout winter.

Anyone know if there's a J6 cup going ahead? Heard in the club there would be but haven't heard anything since. I've missed the boat on the J5 because of my injury.

When I was a lot younger, we had two J8 teams in Greystones (Shows my age but also how big junior rugby was then) anyway one of those J8 teams had three ex international players playing on it, now in fairness they were in their late 40's by that stage but cups attract that sort of thing. Sure we played a J5 league match this year and the team we played had 3 players who played AIL last year in it, I think your drop isn't in the same ball park as that to be fair.

I played J1 for years in Munster and Leinster but I've been out injured for almost 3 years so yeah. I am not exactly a ringer (even though I am shaped like a ring doughnut now lol)

You will always have lads that want to keep playing, or end the playing days with their friends and that is fine but yeah end it at a suitable level.

This year our J2 team have Kieran Lewis playing alongside Louis Burke, so a J2 team with an ex international and ex AIL but it was a successful team anyway. Tonight my J3 team will have an ex AIL player, playing to keep fit and involved with the club.

But yes I have come across what you described. A few years back, I was in our gym and the J5B lads asked me to play with their team as the opposition had turned up with an under 20's team for a J6 cup!

Anyone know if there's a J6 cup going ahead? Heard in the club there would be but haven't heard anything since. I've missed the boat on the J5 because of my injury.

If there is not an answer today here, I will ask the lads in our club if there is and let you know

I think it's okay to drop down if you've not really played all season through injury and are trying to nurse yourself back in.

As annoying as it is for the opposition, why do these players think they can turn up in March / April and take the place of a player who has been playing and training since August?

If a manager or guys on the team had any respect for each other they wouldn't do that on someone who has been busting his ass throughout winter.

There is a drop down and there is a drop DOWN.

A senior player should not go lower than J2/3 to be fair.
    In terms of coming in, towards the end? It's different if a player just did not bother coming, injury is a different matter

I played J1 for years in Munster and Leinster but I've been out injured for almost 3 years so yeah. I am not exactly a ringer (even though I am shaped like a ring doughnut now lol)

You will always have lads that want to keep playing, or end the playing days with their friends and that is fine but yeah end it at a suitable level.

This year our J2 team have Kieran Lewis playing alongside Louis Burke, so a J2 team with an ex international and ex AIL but it was a successful team anyway. Tonight my J3 team will have an ex AIL player, playing to keep fit and involved with the club.

But yes I have come across what you described. A few years back, I was in our gym and the J5B lads asked me to play with their team as the opposition had turned up with an under 20's team for a J6 cup!

That can be dangerous both for them and the potential opposition, I remember my first game at junior level, coming from 19's, was so fit that no one got near me for about 60 minutes, then I took the ball into contact against I guy I thought was ancient (probably about my age now :) ) and when he hit my that was it, couldn't walk properly for nearly two weeks, I know 20's are physically far bigger and stronger now but the step up to junior rugby is still a big one for some players.

The reason we didn't eneter the cup this year, was low squad numbers but also previous experience coming up against loaded teams and it's just not fun.

A friend of mine in work was playing AIL at the beginning of the season and will be playing in a junior cup this year. :D Father Ted stuff...

I heard that it is going ahead, but it could be a week or two before the draw is made because they need to find out the number of teams definitely taking part.
    That can be dangerous both for them and the potential opposition, I remember my first game at junior level, coming from 19's, was so fit that no one got near me for about 60 minutes, then I took the ball into contact against I guy I thought was ancient (probably about my age now :) ) and when he hit my that was it, couldn't walk properly for nearly two weeks,.

I know some forwards who have been tackled by a scrumhalf and ended up not being able to walk unaided for a minimum of 4 weeks.....I will hate you forever.

I heard that it is going ahead, but it could be a week or two before the draw is made because they need to find out the number of teams definitely taking part.

Suits me grand. Will give me a week to build the leg back up to strength.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement