Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

cloneslad wrote: »
    I heard that it is going ahead, but it could be a week or two before the draw is made because they need to find out the number of teams definitely taking part.

I know some forwards who have been tackled by a scrumhalf and ended up not being able to walk unaided for a minimum of 4 weeks.....I will hate you forever.

If it makes you feel any better I was playing prop last week, you can tell people it was a front row who did it, so you seem less girly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

.ak wrote: »
    Suits me grand. Will give me a week to build the leg back up to strength.

It was never that strong in the first place, a couple of hours should be grand.

stephen_n wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I was playing prop last week, you can tell people it was a front row who did it, so you seem less girly ;)

I'll still always hate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Going to tog out tomorrow against Tallaght in the J4 cup. I think that this will mean that I will have played in all levels of Junior cup in Dublin

What position do you play?

The way I am at the minute I wont be playing, done my knee last week, but then again it's the cup. At best I'll make an appearance off the bench into the front row.

Might say hi at the bottom of a ruck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know some forwards who have been tackled by a scrumhalf and ended up not being able to walk unaided for a minimum of 4 weeks.....I will hate you forever.

I done my shoulder a couple of years back against Marys getting hit by a full back. He came at me (standing ) from 30 yards after I somehow ended up cleaning up a spilled ball from a back. All I could do was take the hit on my shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A friend of mine in work was playing AIL at the beginning of the season and will be playing in a junior cup this year. :D Father Ted stuff...

What does he gain from this? It's like me playing against an u12's side

I done my shoulder a couple of years back against Marys getting hit by a full back. He came at me (standing ) from 30 yards after I somehow ended up cleaning up a spilled ball from a back. All I could do was take the hit on my shoulder.

I'd say the guy that injured you was really sound though, the guy who did it to me was not. He even made fun of our calls in the lineout and in the back line, mocked our team's fine singing voices and he also told me that horizontal stripes were not my friend

He may not have said that about the stripes...and why would he? I looked amazing in that jersey,

I'd say the guy that injured you was really sound though, the guy who did it to me was not. He even made fun of our calls in the lineout and in the back line, mocked our team's fine singing voices and he also told me that horizontal stripes were not my friend

He may not have said that about the stripes...and why would he? I looked amazing in that jersey,

I'm just hearing disco balls when you type these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

What position do you play?

The way I am at the minute I wont be playing, done my knee last week, but then again it's the cup. At best I'll make an appearance off the bench into the front row.

Might say hi at the bottom of a ruck :)

Or I might give you a peck on the cheek, during a scrum. Look for the really overweight prop struggling to move after 10 minutes

• Advertisement

I'm just hearing disco balls when you type these days.

stock-vector-disco-ball-disco-background-140856301.jpg
    Or I might give you a peck on the cheek, during a scrum. Look for the really overweight prop struggling to move after 10 minutes

So bascally look out for every prop in Junior rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It was never that strong in the first place, a couple of hours should be grand.

Gonna just wear slightly heavier nikes for a day or something.

What does he gain from this? It's like me playing against an u12's side

Yeah, apparently he said a few of the older retired AIL players do it so it's something of a jolly for a lot of ex AIL players.

Anyone know if there's a J6 cup going ahead? Heard in the club there would be but haven't heard anything since. I've missed the boat on the J5 because of my injury.

Seems that there is

300573.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

That can be dangerous both for them and the potential opposition, I remember my first game at junior level, coming from 19's, was so fit that no one got near me for about 60 minutes, then I took the ball into contact against I guy I thought was ancient (probably about my age now :) ) and when he hit my that was it, couldn't walk properly for nearly two weeks, I know 20's are physically far bigger and stronger now but the step up to junior rugby is still a big one for some players.

The reason we didn't eneter the cup this year, was low squad numbers but also previous experience coming up against loaded teams and it's just not fun.

Salmo, amirite?
    Think the only reason they didn't break 100 that day was because the ref disallowed a conversion when they drop kicked it before he had time to get back to the posts.

gaius c wrote: »
    Salmo, amirite?
    Think the only reason they didn't break 100 that day was because the ref disallowed a conversion when they drop kicked it before he had time to get back to the posts.

That was one of a few, Belvo a few years back when the played there full j2 team.

• Advertisement

i know that I've been out of the game for a while but that was some match. Tallaght have a great front row. Several of the players would be playing at higher levels in bigger clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

i know that I've been out of the game for a while but that was some match. Tallaght have a great front row. Several of the players would be playing at higher levels in bigger clubs

Glad you enjoyed the game. Thought we were probably slightly better then the scoreline suggested but you guy were far more clinical with your chances when they came. Where were you playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We beat Blackrock 28 - 17. We made an absolute meal of the game, we were 12 nil down for the first 25 mins or so.

They fielded a team made up of J3 lads and their 20s team. Worn out from chasing them around the pitch.

O'Connor cup: Clontarf 17 - 7 Monkstown

Good game, Monkstown played well, they did everything but score near the end. The pitch was in bits after the match last night, but it still made for good watching.

loose head. Most that i played in three years so delighted with it.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed the game. Thought we were probably slightly better then the scoreline suggested but you guy were far more clinical with your chances when they came. Where were you playing?

just saw the score there, most definitely better. Most of us thought there was only 1 or 2 scores in it, up to the end

just saw the score there, most definitely better. Most of us thought there was only 1 or 2 scores in it, up to the end

Yeah, you pulled away with the tries but the first 60mins or so were even I thought. Pity we couldnt get over at the end there :P Best of luck for the rest of the cup run.

who was your starting tight head?
    I've had it easier against AIL props

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yas played well and you definitely took the opportunity for points in our own half. Outhalf has a decent boot on him.
    I was sick I didn't start but then again I havint been at training or anything since my injury. First game back since jan.
    Believe it or not I'm in bits from being bitten by them flies. They attacked me legs and I can hardly walk now.
    Our tight head is a serious lad. Solid player same as our whle front rw. Unfortunately lost them with injury and the likes.

I'm the same, bites all over my legs

I'm the same, bites all over my legs

Horrible isn't it and it's not even summer yet.
    Roll on rugby league season :)

Rugby league? are you mad....
    I could barely keep up with the pace of that game!

Rugby league? are you mad....
    I could barely keep up with the pace of that game!

I actually prefer rugby league to Union.
    Crash ball all day

I actually prefer rugby league to Union.
    Crash ball all day

Get out you philistine!

Get out you philistine!

What's wrong with preferring a more physical version?
    Tackles are a lot better and game is faster

• Advertisement

My issue is that the tackles are harder and the game is faster :pac:

I just prefer the breakdown and scrum aspects of union.

My issue is that the tackles are harder and the game is faster :pac:

I just prefer the breakdown and scrum aspects of union.

But your a back :) supposed to prefer a fast game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

What's wrong with preferring a more physical version?
    Tackles are a lot better and game is faster

Dont find as much skill in league, especially in Northern Hemisphere game. Down south there seems to be better skills alright.

As a forward I would miss the technicalities at the ruck and scrum as well as the off loads and back line play which is miles better. Crash ball is just used every time in league, no variety in play at all most of the time.

chris85 wrote: »
    Dont find as much skill in league, especially in Northern Hemisphere game. Down south there seems to be better skills alright.

As a forward I would miss the technicalities at the ruck and scrum as well as the off loads and back line play which is miles better. Crash ball is just used every time in league, no variety in play at all most of the time.

I'm a flanker and there's plenty of offloads in league. To avoid it happening is why two people are required for a lot of tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

At least we can play both codes in Ireland and not get bogged down in the all the bitching you see in England and Oz. I like playing league because I get passed the ball more than twice in a match, but overall prefer the variety of union.

Eoin wrote: »
    At least we can play both codes in Ireland and not get bogged down in the all the bitching you see in England and Oz. I like playing league because I get passed the ball more than twice in a match, but overall prefer the variety of union.
    I usually try to get the ball at least twice in 5 tackles
    Don't always work that way but depending on how hungover I am :)

Be honest, you don't like how tight the jerseys are in League. It's just not flattering to your voluptuous figure.

Be honest, you don't like how tight the jerseys are in League. It's just not flattering to your voluptuous figure.

Our Union team got new jerseys at the weekend and I swear I almost needed to be cut out of it. They look painted on!

Our Union team got new jerseys at the weekend and I swear I almost needed to be cut out of it. They look painted on!

I would kill for some small jerseys on our team. Most clubs seems to just look at the biggest player on the team and order 23 jerseys to fit him.

• Advertisement

I would kill for some small jerseys on our team. Most clubs seems to just look at the biggest player on the team and order 23 jerseys to fit him.

You're having a laugh, I grabbed the one jersey that fit me and I know use that no matter who I am playing for.

That's why I bought my own jersey. The free-for-all to grab a jersey before kick off is gas. Either you end up with a 1960s style jersey or you end up with what could pass off as compression gear.

League is great in training to get your tackling right, never played it as a game though.

Yeah could definitely do with a few smaller jerseys in the bag, I prefer it as tight fitting as possible, less to grab on to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I find the tight jerseys just a little off putting for the other team when I wear one. I think you wear an U13s scrum halves jersey last I seen. Even thats a little loose on you.

That's why I bought my own jersey. The free-for-all to grab a jersey before kick off is gas. Either you end up with a 1960s style jersey or you end up with what could pass off as compression gear.

I bought the youth large jersey in the club shop....it's too big.
    I find the tight jerseys just a little off putting for the other team when I wear one. I think you wear an U13s scrum halves jersey last I seen. Even thats a little loose on you.

It is a little baggy, but the cotton fabric is so comforting on my skin.

Eoin wrote: »

Getting passed the ball is just phoning it in . You've got to steal it from a ruck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Getting passed the ball is just phoning it in . You've got to steal it from a ruck
    I'm a frontrower who's not too far off 40. Phoning it in is fine with me.

It is a little baggy, but the cotton fabric is so comforting on my skin.

Less nipple chaffing

Ha, that's the one I got.

I presume we're all child sized in NZ obviously.

St. Mary's J5 XV v Stillorgan - game off tonight.

Draw for the J6 cup has been made. AK, you'd want to start working out on that knee pretty quickly, you don't have long.

KZ8hVMg.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement