Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Teferi wrote: »
    On the other side of the draw we beat Stillorgan today, so two Terenure teams in the semi-finals. Hoping for an all Gick final myself.

Did one of those teams play in the Div 8 league? That's some turnaround, if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

cloneslad wrote: »
    Yeah, your girlfriend mentioned that to me the other night.

_1391450800.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'm only messing with you....sure her mouth was full.

*I really hope she isn't going to the game with you, or reads this forum.

All I can say is.... I'd watch your other knee. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I've been finished the season for about 2 weeks and I already feel like I've gained a stone. Really need motivation to hit the gym!

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I've been finished the season for about 2 weeks and I already feel like I've gained a stone. Really need motivation to hit the gym!

Weather has been good. Should keep up with another sport on the off season. Gonna play something over summer like tag. I've never actually played tag so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

.ak wrote: »
    Weather has been good. Should keep up with another sport on the off season. Gonna play something over summer like tag. I've never actually played tag so looking forward to it.

Yeah tag is good for the Summer, helps with keeping the skills going over the Summer and helps with fitness.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I'm sure the lads on your team will appreciate the serious effort you are putting into bulking up for the new season.

If it makes you feel any better it's 4 weeks since I was last able to do any exercises (I hate you Stephen) and I've dropped down to 63kg. Not an ideal weight for the front row.

Yeah, but to be fair, you've never actually played rugby before, so it's best to start somewhere.

Yeah, but to be fair, you've never actually played rugby before, so it's best to start somewhere.

That's rich coming from you. You know in Rugby Union you're allowed pass the ball, or even let your scrumhalf have a go? Also there's a thing called waiting for support, but you probably missed that in training (because you're too busy telling people how warm you are in your ten jackets to train).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm still dubious about tag, it's good for certain skill sets but is bad for tackling, leagues a better option IMO obviously makes less difference to wingers since they don't tackle anyway.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    I'm still dubious about tag, it's good for certain skill sets but is bad for tackling, leagues a better option IMO obviously makes less difference to wingers since they don't tackle anyway.

Here you go again with your fancy skills like 'tackling'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah if you play too much non contact stuff you lose your edge. Tag is fun I'm sure but other than keeping you fit (ish) I dunno how much use it is.

In a way it can be helpful for tackling. Playing tag you learn to keep an eye on the shorts more to get tags, this is good practice as will help read a player for tackling. Its also good for fitness and passing as well as running lines.

League is grand but different game, will help tackling alright but not really a league fan, i like union for the scrumming/rucking.

And in fairness, its a bit of a laugh too. A few I have seen take it very seriously (angry shouting and throwing water bottles around) which makes it even funnier for me.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah if you play too much non contact stuff you lose your edge. Tag is fun I'm sure but other than keeping you fit (ish) I dunno how much use it is.

Better than not playing anything at all I would say. I'm not really into running unless there's a purpose behind it!

That's rich coming from you. You know in Rugby Union you're allowed pass the ball, or even let your scrumhalf have a go? Also there's a thing called waiting for support, but you probably missed that in training (because you're too busy telling people how warm you are in your ten jackets to train).

Waiting for support, pffft, it's not my fault everyone else on the team is too slow to keep up with play. Maybe if the scrum half did his job I wouldn't have to pass the ball from a ruck for him.

Also, a rule I've followed for a long long time, and will continue forever: 'Never Trust Backs'

I get really annoyed in tag when I miss a tag, especially when it's against some GAA player who thinks he's great. At least in a real match you get to make up for it by tackling someone a minute later.

This will be where you find things easily AK. Sure you never tackle anyway, so you won't mind missing a tag.

Better than not playing anything at all I would say. I'm not really into running unless there's a purpose behind it!

Fixed that for you.

They don't scrummage in tag either so I'm sure you'd fit in nicely.

Fixed that for you.

You're not wrong, in fairness.

They don't scrummage in tag either so I'm sure you'd fit in nicely.

Why are you being so mean to me? I'm a god damned cripple.

I'm going to have to go home, get into my pyjamas, open up a tub of ice - cream, watch the notebook, and fall asleep while curled up, crying, in the foetal position.

Ah it's union over league every time for me, but in terms of games that are better for training I just think league has it. Tag helps with distribution, picking lines and creating space, but in terms of tackling it makes you stay kind of high. I'm actually thinking kick boxing for the summer is the way to go :)

• Advertisement

Why are you being so mean to me? I'm a god damned cripple.

I'm going to have to go home, get into my pyjamas, open up a tub of ice - cream, watch the notebook, and fall asleep while curled up, crying, in the foetal position.

Ah, you're a true frontrower stuck in a scrumhalves body.

Ah it's union over league every time for me, but in terms of games that are better for training I just think league has it. Tag helps with distribution, picking lines and creating space, but in terms of tackling it makes you stay kind of high. I'm actually thinking kick boxing for the summer is the way to go :)

Is that so you can break cloneslad's other leg when you next see him?

Is that so you can break cloneslad's other leg when you next see him?

At his age he might not make it to next season.

Ofcourse he might just be worried you might take out some sort of revenge on him so he's training in kick boxing to defend himself.

... But at 63kg I don't think he has much to worry about. :pac:

Ofcourse he might just be worried you might take out some sort of revenge on him so he's training in kick boxing to defend himself.

... But at 63kg I don't think he has much to worry about. :pac:

to be fair, I weigh at least 67kg thanks to the leg brace and crutches he put me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Tag helps with distribution, picking lines and creating space,

All highly over rated skills , what does it do for crashing into the nearest opposition player skill, the never passing even if you've a 14 man overlap skill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

to be fair, I weigh at least 67kg thanks to the leg brace and crutches he put me in.

Off topic but if cloneslad isn't about for tag this summer? Then there may be a spot available ak! What's the Craig cloneslad will you be fixed by then?

Unless he moves up a few divisions he's safe from me next year lol I'll be warming the bench in Greystones next year. You young lads are just too soft!

Unless he moves up a few divisions he's safe from me next year lol I'll be warming the bench in Greystones next year. You young lads are just too soft!

won 3, lost 9 this season. I'd say you might have a chance of getting on.

• Advertisement

won 3, lost 9 this season. I'd say you might have a chance of getting on.

Ah I could probably make the starting 15 but at my advanced years, this is winding down the clock so I see myself more as an impact sub :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tag is grand though depends on league you're side is in and how serious your side are taking it.
    Defensive line speed, correct body position to tackle(to an extent), fitness, running lines all can improve greatly from tag.
    Its great for the non collision parts of the game(something most people should be totally delighted about)
    Im looking at reffing some tag this summer which should be good.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    See above... plenty of use beyond keeping up fitness

Defensive line speed, correct body position to tackle(to an extent), fitness, running lines all can improve greatly from tag.
    Its great for the non collision parts of the game(something most people should be totally delighted about)

I'd agree to disagree about the tackling bit, this bit though, I take it your a back lol rugby without collisions is soccer ;)

Ah I could probably make the starting 15 but at my advanced years, this is winding down the clock so I see myself more as an impact sub :)

make sure you get your flu jab this year, it'll be cold on the sidelines, and someone of your age should wrap up well and make sure to bring a hot drink too.

make sure you get your flu jab this year, it'll be cold on the sidelines, and someone of your age should wrap up well and make sure to bring a hot drink too.

Ah those extra 20kgs I have on you helps keep me warm ;)

Ah those extra 20kgs I have on you helps keep me warm ;)

those extra 20kg you had on you when you landed on me kept me warm for a few seconds too.....the following 20 minutes spent lying on the wet ground because of it did not do much for my warmth.

• Advertisement

those extra 20kg you had on you when you landed on me kept me warm for a few seconds too.....the following 20 minutes spent lying on the wet ground because of it did not do much for my warmth.

Good thing I'd trimmed down so, could have been worse last year, when I was bulked up for playing hooker :)

In fairness you'd be cold in Barbados.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'd agree to disagree about the tackling bit, this bit though, I take it your a back lol rugby without collisions is soccer ;)
    I was both when I played. Have played competitive games at adult level in 2nd row, backrow, wing, full back and small bit at scrum half.
    And rugby without collisions is not soccer...

How did people prefer the way metro j rugby was split by the divisions this year rather than j1-5?
    From what ive seen of games(only a small bit) and talking to friends etc still playing its worked quite well. Would people see or like to see (m)any changes for next season?

I was both when I played. Have played competitive games at adult level in 2nd row, backrow, wing, full back and small bit at scrum half.

How did people prefer the way metro j rugby was split by the divisions this year rather than j1-5?
    From what ive seen of games(only a small bit) and talking to friends etc still playing its worked quite well. Would people see or like to see (m)any changes for next season?

This is my first season playing junior rugby so I couldn't really compare it to previous seasons. I enjoyed it, unfortunately we were out of the hunt for getting into a play off early on but we were well above any sort of relegation so from that aspect I couldn't really comment either!

I did pop down to the div 6 play off and it was cool event. I know some people don't like the idea of play offs but lets face it, it's junior rugby, it's not the end of the world if you don't get promoted after leading a league, and it adds a bit of excitement and competitiveness which is really what we're all looking for.

Looking forward to next season, hopefully better conditioned and hopefully some more game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I didn't like the idea of play-offs, until we finished second - and then I came around to the idea.

I think it's good that 2nd place has something to play for; especially until the leagues level off properly. I still think they should have promoted the winners automatically, with the 2nd place team playing the 2nd last in the league above for promotion, as it will speed up a better balance being reached.

Overall, I think it's worked much better than the last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Have played every position from 4-15 and hooker too over the years and live for the collisions myself, game is measured in hard yards and tackles made for me, not tries and clean breaks.

Think the new format has worked well but will take a few years for it to settle down fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Think the new format has worked well but will take a few years for it to settle down fully.

It will never settle fully in my experience teams can go from competitive to crap over a summer, when their "big names" disappear

and hopefully some more game time.

I hope this never happens.
    It will never settle fully in my experience teams can go from competitive to crap over a summer, with their "big names disappear"

This can be a problem with Clontarf, we get so many foreign players coming out each year as we are the most convenient club to get to for a lot of them. Last year we had an amazing back line on our J5 team. It was Harlem globetrotter stuff at times, but we lost 4 of them in the summer when they moved back home.

It will never settle fully in my experience teams can go from competitive to crap over a summer, when their "big names" disappear

This happens in every league though, season on season teams weaken or strengthen, that happens all the way up to pro. It levels it in terms of some of the complete BS that's gone on in the last few years.

I hope this never happens.

Been practising my darts on my downtime....

Been practising my darts on my downtime....

No way a dartboard is going up on the sideline for you! :eek:

chris85 wrote: »
    No way a dartboard is going up on the sideline for you! :eek:

There's new rules coming in next season. Hope you all like tetanus shots.

There's new rules coming in next season. Hope you all like tetanus shots.

You have to take your mother to matches?? :eek::eek:

First the girlfriend, now the mother. On a roll!

Dorothy K is a saint! :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement