Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J4/J5 [Social Rugby] Season 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I guess its to stop teams trying to run up the score in games they've already won comfortably, this being "social rugby" and all. I think its ridiculous myself, nothing about games in divsion 7 are anything close to social, except for beers after. Reinstate the BP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I guess its to stop teams trying to run up the score in games they've already won comfortably, this being "social rugby" and all. I think its ridiculous myself, nothing about games in divsion 7 are anything close to social, except for beers after. Reinstate the BP!

Then why bother having points difference? Also, the losing BP's are still listed on that sportsmanager site.

.ak wrote: »
    Then why bother having points difference? Also, the losing BP's are still listed on that sportsmanager site.

I totally agree. The losing BPs are staying, suppose it in to insentivise teams to play to the last. Seems hypocritical to only remove one and not the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

TBH I'm all for not having bonus points for four tries but still having a losing bonus point.

If for nothing else it takes away the hassle of having to deal with the situations of walkovers. Should a team receiving a walkover only be given four points? What if they needed the try bonus point to gain position etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How are all the teams getting on with the new scrum laws? As we have only played one match, it's hard to tell but it seems messy timing when to push.

stephen_n wrote: »
    How are all the teams getting on with the new scrum laws? As we have only played one match, it's hard to tell but it seems messy timing when to push.

Our first game had uncontested scrums, think CMY were missing a front rower, so not sure. Watched the Clontarf J4's last week and they seemed to go well.

Might just take a bit of getting used to so, suppose it will depend on the referees too as there might be a fair bit of the defensive teams pushing early.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Our first game had uncontested scrums, think CMY were missing a front rower, so not sure. Watched the Clontarf J4's last week and they seemed to go well.

I think all Division 10 games are uncontested aren't they?

As for bonus points, I might understand the lack of TBPs to deal with walkovers if there was a points difference element to walkovers. But look at the Division 10 table now, where Monkstown conceded their game to Railway but are second last. CYM are last because they have the same number of league points but an inferior points difference. That's harsh on CYM to be behind a team that didn't show up....

There's an interesting new rule at J4 level this year. If a team wish to or is required to go uncontested, they must play with 14 players. Not sure how it works regarding injuries (it seems unfair in this scenario), but I think its a positive step. Stops people misusing the system.

With regards the conceding point. I think games played should be the first tie breaker. The scenario posted above is clearly unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

There's an interesting new rule at J4 level this year. If a team wish to or is required to go uncontested, they must play with 14 players. Not sure how it works regarding injuries (it seems unfair in this scenario), but I think its a positive step. Stops people misusing the system.

Depends if they give notice isnt it? If a team gives notice this wont happen but if they turn up on the day and go uncontested they will be forced to drop a man and keep 8 for scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think all Division 10 games are uncontested aren't they?

As for bonus points, I might understand the lack of TBPs to deal with walkovers if there was a points difference element to walkovers. But look at the Division 10 table now, where Monkstown conceded their game to Railway but are second last. CYM are last because they have the same number of league points but an inferior points difference. That's harsh on CYM to be behind a team that didn't show up....

That sort of points difference shouldn't matter come the end of the season. It's not like Monkstown didn't show up because they thought they would gain an advantage out of it.

chris85 wrote: »
    Depends if they give notice isnt it? If a team gives notice this wont happen but if they turn up on the day and go uncontested they will be forced to drop a man and keep 8 for scrum.

That's probably it, that makes more sense. Stops people pulling a prop when the scrum isn't going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

shoutman wrote: »
    That sort of points difference shouldn't matter come the end of the season. It's not like Monkstown didn't show up because they thought they would gain an advantage out of it.

Ah no I'm not saying they were doing anything like that, but it is unfair on CYM. How many teams get relegated/promoted in the new set-up? Could something like this not end up impacting teams?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah no I'm not saying they were doing anything like that, but it is unfair on CYM. How many teams get relegated/promoted in the new set-up? Could something like this not end up impacting teams?

Two get promoted & two get relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Now they've got the promotion/relegation thing sorted out, there's no need to not have the 4 try bonus point. If a team is getting spanked regularly, then they will drop down.

Overall points difference is not taken into account in the event of a tie at the top of the table - just the head-to-head points difference from the two games between the two teams. Sounds fair in theory, but I'd still prefer the bonus points to be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Load of sh!te.
    Too much pushing before ball is in. Alot more than it used to be.
    And the fact the ref is telling the scrum when to put in is leading to alot more pushing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Load of sh!te.
    Too much pushing before ball is in. Alot more than it used to be.
    And the fact the ref is telling the scrum when to put in is leading to alot more pushing.

It's hardly the fault of the new system that the ref isn't controlling the scrums. I've liked what little exposure I've had to it so far.

Its great in theory, but early pushing needs to be punished more heavily

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    It's hardly the fault of the new system that the ref isn't controlling the scrums. I've liked what little exposure I've had to it so far.

Seems there was more control of the scrum in the old way.
    I had warned the ref the other day of the early push and still he done nothing but tell me to shut up. So said it to captain and still done nothing. As a result my elbow is bolloxed.

I like the new scrum rules. For a hooker it allows much more competition in the scrum rather than the ball just being thrown into the 2nd row. Now the hooker needs to be able to hook the ball for the first time in a while. About time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I like the lack of a hit and I'm getting away with a whole bunch of cheating so I like it so far, the refs are not picking up on me (LH) dragging down the opposition TH with my arm, nor are they picking up on some TH's using the bind to hold the LH at arms length effectively gaining a hit.
    Watched the Clontarf J4's last week and they seemed to go well.

They were going well over the weekend too, although I had to hook for a couple of scrums which didn't help us. I think I've hooked for a grand total of 3 minutes in my entire life.

Teferi wrote: »
    They were going well over the weekend too, although I had to hook for a couple of scrums which didn't help us. I think I've hooked for a grand total of 3 minutes in my entire life.

You must be one of the Terenure front rows then, I remember change in hooker for short time alright.

Picked up another possibly side-lining injury last night. So frustrating. :mad: Feel like Mr. Glass right now....

Picked up another possibly side-lining injury last night. So frustrating. :mad: Feel like Mr. Glass right now....

Can be difficult the first while getting back into it and getting the body conditioned for the contact and hits again.

• Advertisement

Can be difficult the first while getting back into it and getting the body conditioned for the contact and hits again.

Yeah, I hope so, what doesn't kill you and all that... Just very frustrating especially as I felt I was building up a bit of resistance and was feeling strong again.

Hopefully it's just a bruised tendon or something, will lash the ice onto tonight.

Bruised a bone in my hand, so strapped up and stuck just doing fitness for another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Yeah, I hope so, what doesn't kill you and all that... Just very frustrating especially as I felt I was building up a bit of resistance and was feeling strong again.

Hopefully it's just a bruised tendon or something, will lash the ice onto tonight.

Spoonful of concrete for AK?

Just kidding please don't kill me

Bruised a bone in my hand, so strapped up and stuck just doing fitness for another 2 weeks.

I have a bit of a bad foot after the game, bit bruised and number of marks, think I got some studs on me. However I played on anyways. Going to take it easy on it this week and hopefully ok for game at the weekend.

Spoonful of concrete for AK?

Just kidding please don't kill me

Ha! I'll catch ya on the field. ;)

• Advertisement

I have a bit of a bad foot after the game, bit bruised and number of marks, think I got some studs on me. However I played on anyways. Going to take it easy on it this week and hopefully ok for game at the weekend.

Reckon that's how I picked up the injury last night, doing those rucking drills someone stood on my foot awkwardly. Atleast I hope that's what it is, cus if it's just bruised soft tissue it'll heal quick enough.

If it's a running injury and the tendon is fecked then I could be watching games rather than playing them this weekend. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I have my wrist strapped at the minute. I had to strap it midway through the game on Saturday and I took last night off training. I'll be back in the gym tonight and out to training tomorrow.

If you were only stood on then it's probably just an impact injury and you should be fine.

Jesus, everyone is injured! I came through my game unscathed, although that probably has something to do with the fact I didnt get on :pac:

Jesus, everyone is injured! I came through my game unscathed, although that probably has something to do with the fact I didnt get on :pac:

Hey you're lucky , I once did my ankle running the touch !

Ha. I was stuck on in the front row (I say ha because I'm 10st) in my first game for the last few minutes, hit every ruck like a mad man cuz I don't have a clue what front rows are actually supposed to do, and came out completely unscathed (apart from a few bruises and bumps).

First tackle in training and boom, I'm fecked. Typical.

One of the main reason I don't do touch before a game. I know its a bit of a warm up but its so easy to twist an ankle playing it.
    My elbow seems to be healed. Was ok in work yesterday. So il be up training tonight considering its only fitness tonight.

Ha! I'll catch ya on the field. ;)

Ooooh thems fighting words :)

Ha. I was stuck on in the front row (I say ha because I'm 10st) in my first game for the last few minutes, hit every ruck like a mad man cuz I don't have a clue what front rows are actually supposed to do, and came out completely unscathed (apart from a few bruises and bumps).

Don't worry, sure I'm only about 11 stone and I still play in the front row. I played there in college when I had dropped from about 16 stone to just under 9 too. I'm not used to anywhere else and the wing is too boring.

Nobody plays a season being fully fit the whole way throughout anyway, it's just about managing the injury and ignoring it when you play.

You probably did just as much running as the rest of us last weekend when you were bringing on the water...it was a very welcome sight whenever anyone got hurt.

One of the joys of junior rugby is playing on positions to which you're totally unsuitable! In 3 years (one u-19s and 2 senior) I've played every position on the pitch bar front row.

I find that I'm less likely to go full force at my own team mates for fear of causing them injury and in doing so, I'm not making the tackles properly at all. Gotta get the "Go hard or go home" head on :)

• Advertisement

I find that I'm less likely to go full force at my own team mates for fear of causing them injury and in doing so, I'm not making the tackles properly at all. Gotta get the "Go hard or go home" head on :)

Haha you have to turn up to training first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One of the main reason I don't do touch before a game. I know its a bit of a warm up but its so easy to twist an ankle playing it.

Or pull a hamstring etc. It's a bit daft playing touch before the stretch and a jog, but lots of people seem to.

Haha you have to turn up to training first!

Injured. Coach was informed :p I'll be up later for a run about, though.

Eoin wrote: »
    Or pull a hamstring etc. It's a bit daft playing touch before the stretch and a jog, but lots of people seem to.

Yeah, when I started training I used to run out and warm up playing touch, but after picking up a hamstring injury I always spend 10 minutes stretching and warming up first, and *touch wood* haven't had any running injuries since. Makes a massive difference. Everyone is different tho I suppose.

One of the joys of junior rugby is playing on positions to which you're totally unsuitable! In 3 years (one u-19s and 2 senior) I've played every position on the pitch bar front row.

In fairness the only position most of us are actually suited for is safely behind the hedges in the RDS but sure the "I'll give it a go" attitude takes you far enough

Eoin wrote: »

This......This wrecks my head every session. I rarely ever play touch rugby at the start of training, and if I do it's only because I turned up really early and had a good stretch. I don't know how it crept into every session, but when I played u12-u18 with my old we would never have been allowed do this. Then I went to college and this was the main warm up.

It makes no sense to stand around being cold, then start doing short sprints without warming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In a slog of a match under lights, CYM beat St. Mary's 15-10 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

In a slog of a match under lights, CYM beat St. Mary's 15-10 last night.

Was that a league game?? On a Wednesday.....was there a ref this time hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Was that a league game?? On a Wednesday.....was there a ref this time hahaha

Metro J 10. No idea what suc... I mean referee was delegated for the game but we won so I don't give a bollocks :D

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    I like the lack of a hit and I'm getting away with a whole bunch of cheating so I like it so far, the refs are not picking up on me (LH) dragging down the opposition TH with my arm, nor are they picking up on some TH's using the bind to hold the LH at arms length effectively gaining a hit.

Seems to be a bit of confusion or rather different interpretations about who decides when the ball goes in, I'm playing scrum half this year so that's a pain, have to practice my spin too, since the put in has to be ehm straight.

Strapping and pain killers all the way :)

As for playing touch, active warm up as opposed to passive is far better, you can stretch all you want but you still need an active warm up which touch gives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement