Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside Taps Charlesland

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an outside tap installed in Charlesland? I'm in a 3 bed corner house in Charlesland Wood. An outside tap would be a god send especially now with the weather so hot and my garden drying up!

Has anyone ever done this? Have any idea on likely cost or can recommend someone to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

This was covered a while back: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53011765

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Why dont you install a waterbutt? I installed one in a 2 bed terrace and added a downpipe from the gutter to the drainhole in garden which fills the butt. Only a small amount of rain fills the butt and i can fill the water can from the tap, use an installed pump to power a hose and also use a jet washer from it. I have watered the garden everyday since the last rain and still have water left.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Hi JimJay,

I've never heard of a water-butt! It sounds great. How much did it cost to instal? Any chance of a demo/viewing!?

Hi JimJay,

I've never heard of a water-butt! It sounds great. How much did it cost to instal? Any chance of a demo/viewing!?

Hi, the waterbutts come in many forms, basic ones are for sale in woodies at the moment for about 50 euro. i then bought a few bits of drain pipe and clips to divert some water from the gutter. if you are in an end of terrace you should already have a down pipe and will just need to fit a waterbutt filler tube to get water from the down pipe. when the waterbutt is full the water just goes down the downpipe as normal.

I got our waterbutt from kilquade garden centre, its a more expensive one but has a nice shape, brass tap and a little garden on the top. I will post some photos later today but you are welcome to see if the photos dont help.

BTW you will need a little bit of rain to fill it, normally not a problem but i cant remember the last rain. obviously the bigger waterbutt you get the longer the water will last :-)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

9278391708_417b5e5214_c.jpg
    Water Butt by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Don't forget; Water charges next year. With dry weather and no domestic water charges in place yet, this year will probably become infamous as "the year of the big drought".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I've seen a number of houses in Charlesland with water taps installed in the space for the bins - It will be interesting to see what happens when metered water charges kick in..

(Turn off your water at the mains when you go on holiday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

homer911 wrote: »
    I've seen a number of houses in Charlesland with water taps installed in the space for the bins - It will be interesting to see what happens when metered water charges kick in..

Did they not abandon the meters in favour of a flat charge based on house size?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Did they not abandon the meters in favour of a flat charge based on house size?

I think the flat charge will be for apartment blocks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I think the flat charge will be for apartment blocks

You're right. Quick google throws up news on the fact that they'll be starting installing the meters very soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So did the guys tap from 2007 freeze and burst?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Jimjay wrote: »
    Why dont you install a waterbutt? I installed one in a 2 bed terrace and added a downpipe from the gutter to the drainhole in garden which fills the butt. Only a small amount of rain fills the butt and i can fill the water can from the tap, use an installed pump to power a hose and also use a jet washer from it. I have watered the garden everyday since the last rain and still have water left.

I looked in to this as I live in a mid terrace house in the park but upon looking further into it I have no grid/shore/waste drain for it to go down once the water butt is full...
    Only a "argon" test tank.. I'm hoping you didnt fall in to the trap like i nearly did...

I had to put guttering on the shed and link up the water butt from there, which seams to be doing the job just fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

homer911 wrote: »

Yes, I have wondered what meter this water will be charged from.

I looked in to this as I live in a mid terrace house in the park but upon looking further into it I have no grid/shore/waste drain for it to go down once the water butt is full...
    Only a "argon" test tank.. I'm hoping you didnt fall in to the trap like i nearly did...

I had to put guttering on the shed and link up the water butt from there, which seams to be doing the job just fine....

Great. Its suprising how quick they fill up. Glad you went down the waterbut route :-)

I am mid terrace, we have an argon gas vent on the left of our house and a drain on the right. Both were under decking which i removed and paved. Its a good job i put the downpipe in as the end of terrace where the downpipe was had an extension built and removed the downpipe and a mid terrace at our other side is having an extension built and the next downpipe is after their house.

Jimjay wrote: »
    the end of terrace where the downpipe was had an extension built and removed the downpipe
    not sure if that would be allowed, as it could cause the gutters to overflow for all the houses. I think you mean radon not argon, BTW

recedite wrote: »
    not sure if that would be allowed, as it could cause the gutters to overflow for all the houses. I think you mean radon not argon, BTW

I doubt it would be allowed. The gutter already overflows, it runs down the gutter and when it gets to the dead end at house with extension it tips out down the wall and into the garden of house next door.

Are you saying this has already happened? If you check the planning permission you might find the gutters are supposed to be re-routed to a new downpipe, somewhere near the extension.

recedite wrote: »
    Are you saying this has already happened? If you check the planning permission you might find the gutters are supposed to be re-routed to a new downpipe, somewhere near the extension.

I am in the middle so it doesnt affect me. I suppose its up to whoever has the house where the gutter now ends to make any complaint. As i put a downpipe in any water running by me gets drained.

It looks like they re-routed the upper gutter (main roof) but just put an end cap on lower one (lean to roof)

Edit: actually just checked and the top gutter is also capped of where extension is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

@Jimjay: PM sent.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement