Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence from An Post

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Just receive a leaflet from An post says inspector was unable to gain attention at this address,today. my address is not covered by a current television.Under Act 2009 I am obliged to hold a current TV licence if there is a television set in or on the premises.
    Also mentioned, have to pay TV licence in 5 working days, otherwise further action will be taken.

I am renting apartment in Dublin city center and having a TV in my apt that was belong to my landlord. I never use that TV and put in under my table.

Is it the problem? or I have to pay for it? Is it the best way to return TV to my landlord, please?

What should I do about it, I am new in Dublin, please give me a hand on this, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

xiuzhen wrote: »
    Just receive a leaflet from An post says inspector was unable to gain attention at this address,today. my address is not covered by a current television.Under Act 2009 I am obliged to hold a current TV licence if there is a television set in or on the premises.
    Also mentioned, have to pay TV licence in 5 working days, otherwise further action will be taken.

I am renting apartment in Dublin city center and having a TV in my apt that was belong to my landlord. I never use that TV and put in under my table.

Is it the problem? or I have to pay for it? Is it the best way to return TV to my landlord, please?

What should I do about it, I am new in Dublin, please give me a hand on this, please?

If there is a TV in your place, whether you use it or not you still have to pay a licence. So i would just go ahead and do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Contact the landlord tell him his TV licence renewal has arrived.
    Let him know that you don't need a tv and could he remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

nudger wrote: »
    Contact the landlord tell him his TV licence renewal has arrived.
    Let him know that you don't need a tv and could he remove it.

Its not the landlord's TV licence, the person residing at the property is liable. However I would agree to contact the landlord to tell him to remove the TV and then contact An Post to advise you have no TV in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

who's name did the leaflet have on it, was it yours or just "Occupant" ?

If you ignore it how will they fine you ?

But if its not your TV, ask the landlord to remove it within 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭xiuzhen

Thank you so much for reply me.
    it's a postcard says 'Occupier', I asked my landlord to remove it, she told me that she dose not have space for it. I have TV at home and it's not connected. I will be fine. I am not if she cares about that. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

You should probably read through this to see if you need to pay the licence or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If there is a TV in your house, even if it is unplugged and in a press, you need to have a TV license for it. I'd be asking the LL for the license fee (since you say you don't want/use the tv), or removal of the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

chris85 wrote: »
    Its not the landlord's TV licence, the person residing at the property is liable. However I would agree to contact the landlord to tell him to remove the TV and then contact An Post to advise you have no TV in the property.

When you receive the letter it states that it is a renewal, if you are new to the property then it reverts to the Ll.

If they call around and they do, you will be fined.

Had to much crap over this so I pay it for my tenant's, use it as a bonus in interviews.

If you have a tv in the property unplugged or not and they call you will be fined, tell him to remove it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

nudger wrote: »
    When you receive the letter it states that it is a renewal, if you are new to the property then it reverts to the Ll.

If they call around and they do, you will be fined.

Had to much crap over this so I pay it for my tenant's, use it as a bonus in interviews.

If you have a tv in the property unplugged or not and they call you will be fined, tell him to remove it now.

LL is never liable unless they live in the property, doesnt matter if renewal, thats not nothing to do with it.

Link to info below
    Terms and conditions 1.Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself. 2.Under Section 148 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, it is a prosecutable offence to be in possession of an unlicensed television set. Fines for a first offence can be up to €1,000 and €2,000 for subsequent offences.
    3.A Television Licence is deemed to be granted by way of a Renewal of a previous licence where the licence a) is granted to a person to whom the previous licence was granted, b) relates to the same specified place to which the previous licence related and is granted within one month before or within twelve months after the expiration of the previous licence.
    4.A First Time/Original Television Licence is every licence not granted by way of renewal. It comes into force on the day on which it was granted and continues in force until the end of the eleventh month after the month it was granted. If you choose to purchase a First Time/Original TV Licence when the Renewal option is more appropriate, An Post, on behalf of the Minister, may amend your licence in such manner as appears to him or her or An Post to be proper in the circumstances, in particular, (for the purpose of correction) a date to which it relates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence.

Doesn't matter if you don't have a tv anymore, if you are capable of receiving a signal you need the license. Afaik, this includes if you have a computer/laptop/ipad etc in the gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

reprazant wrote: »
    Afaik, this includes if you have a computer/laptop/ipad etc in the gaff.

It doesn't, that's why they're bringing in the broadcasting charge instead, as it will cover everything.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

what happens if you get one of these and have no tv? if you let them in to see i assume that's ok but what if you don't let them in. If they can't physically see a TV, how can they fine you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

xiuzhen wrote: »
    Thank you so much for reply me.
    it's a postcard says 'Occupier'

If it's addressed to the occupier you're grand. Just don't give your name to anyone that calls to your door and there's nothing they can do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

It doesn't, that's why they're bringing in the broadcasting charge instead, as it will cover everything.

so you are saying i dont need to play licence if i have ipad pc and laptop all capable of receiving rte player?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

so you are saying i dont need to play licence if i have ipad pc and laptop all capable of receiving rte player?

As I understand it, yes. Until they bring in the broadcasting charge.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12982/comms/government-says-no-tv-licence-needed-for-rte-online

bit dated but seems legit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Out of curiosity, where does saor view come into this? Just say the tv the op has, is plugged out, and stored under the stairs, and predates saor view so therefore isn't capable of receiving a signal. Are they still liable then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

jlm29 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where does saor view come into this? Just say the tv the op has, is plugged out, and stored under the stairs, and predates saor view so therefore isn't capable of receiving a signal. Are they still liable then?

It doesnt matter if it is actively recieving a TV signal, the fact that it can (once it has a SCART connection it can be connected to a Sky/UPC box) is enough to warrant the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

djimi wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if it is actively recieving a TV signal, the fact that it can (once it has a SCART connection it can be connected to a Sky/UPC box) is enough to warrant the charge.

A TV which doesn't have Saorview can't receive a TV signal unless it's connected to a device which can receive a signal, for which you would need a licence.

Raises the question of do you need a licence for a TV without Saorview and don't have any other device capable of receiving a signal in the home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    If it's addressed to the occupier you're grand. Just don't give your name to anyone that calls to your door and there's nothing they can do.

They can work out who the occupier is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you have no connection to upc, cable tv , or a saorview box ,
    you should not have to pay for tv licence.
    as you have no way of watching tv.
    In my experience ,they ask for a tv license ,if they see a cable tv connection.
    they Have acess to cable ,sky tv records.
    A non saorview tv is useless unless you connect it to a saorview reciever thru scart cable or a satellite reviever connected to a dish.
    there,s no longer any tv signals broadcast thru uhf transmitters.
    you cant watch tv ,there
    unless you have a sky box,or a saorview reciever.
    maybe just pass on the letter to the landlord ,and let him deal with it .

Del2005 wrote: »
    A TV which doesn't have Saorview can't receive a TV signal unless it's connected to a device which can receive a signal, for which you would need a licence.

Raises the question of do you need a licence for a TV without Saorview and don't have any other device capable of receiving a signal in the home?

Yes, you do. It's pretty clear that you just pay if you have a device that is capable of receiving a TV signal; it doesn't actually matter if you have the accompanying device to make it happen or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Another charge waiting for us down the line...just lovely!

Its the same charge in fairness; just a few more people will have to pay it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Do you pay for every tv in the house?....what about PC monitors?...or laptops/tablets/smart phones??

No its just one license per household regardless of the number of devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

djimi wrote: »
    No its just one license per household regardless of the number of devices.
    So far. Would be an easy source of revenue. Each licence allows the household to have 3/5/10 devices, more requires an additional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No Pants wrote: »
    So far. Would be an easy source of revenue. Each licence allows the household to have 3/5/10 devices, more requires an additional licence.

Don't be giving them ideas... and definitely don't mention the old German system! (an absolute mess of radio licences, TV licences, licences for cars and for >18 year olds living at home. Since rationalised)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

In my house the LL left a TV from previous residents here. It is stored so unless the TV licence inspector breaks in and searches the house we are safe. They wont have our names unless we tell them so theres nothing they can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In my house the LL left a TV from previous residents here. It is stored so unless the TV licence inspector breaks in and searches the house we are safe. They wont have our names unless we tell them so theres nothing they can do

But if you have a subscription for broadband or sky/UPC well then they'll get you through them eventually if the powers that be get there way

Advertisement