Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence from An Post

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

At least the change (since it's not a new or another charge) in the licence may be less.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/broadcast-charge-to-be-less-than-tv-licence-if-more-people-pay-up-29366899.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MemZ

Hi I'm living in an apartment, a TV licence guy knocked on my door in February and asked did I have a TV licence, I said no and he took my name and said he would call back in a week. He didn't call back and i received a registered letter with a court summons, I didn't get any letter advising me to get a TV licence before this. He never asked me do i have a TV, does he have a way of telling if i do or not? The only reason he was able to knock on my door was because both security doors to my apartment were broke at the time and we had a lot of dodgy people hanging around on the stairs (teenagers and even junkies), I'm assuming they were stealing my post because I didn't get a few of my letters from family and maybe even college. Is there anyway I can avoid having to go to court, like by explaining this to the solicitor who sent me the letter or going straight to the TV licence office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

MemZ wrote: »
    Hi I'm living in an apartment, a TV licence guy knocked on my door in February and asked did I have a TV licence, I said no and he took my name and said he would call back in a week. He didn't call back and i received a registered letter with a court summons, I didn't get any letter advising me to get a TV licence before this. He never asked me do i have a TV, does he have a way of telling if i do or not? The only reason he was able to knock on my door was because both security doors to my apartment were broke at the time and we had a lot of dodgy people hanging around on the stairs (teenagers and even junkies), I'm assuming they were stealing my post because I didn't get a few of my letters from family and maybe even college. Is there anyway I can avoid having to go to court, like by explaining this to the solicitor who sent me the letter or going straight to the TV licence office?

If you dont have a TV call the TV licence people and explain it to them you dont and have no reason to own a TV licence, they have no proof that you have one unless you told them you did (which you didnt)

So there's no way they can detect that I do have one? I'm just trying to avoid going to court and I'm willing to buy a TV licence to do that.

MemZ wrote: »
    So there's no way they can detect that I do have one? I'm just trying to avoid going to court and I'm willing to buy a TV licence to do that.

They can only detect a TV with eyes and ears. It is possible they can see through window but you're in an appartment.

Call and let them know they have made a mistake and they'll sort it out. You shouldnt need to go to court

• Advertisement

got it sorted, just have to buy a TV licence and pay 80 euro for court costs so I don't have to appear, thanks for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I share an apartment with 2 others. Today we received a letter saying there is no record of a current tv licence at our address. Fair enough.

The letter was addressed to my brother (I cleared it with him before I opened the letter).He has had his post sent here 2 or 3 times previously but he doesn't live here so im wondering why An Post used his name on the letter or what is their system of sending out letters?

I share an apartment with 2 others. Today we received a letter saying there is no record of a current tv licence at our address. Fair enough.

The letter was addressed to my brother (I cleared it with him before I opened the letter).He has had post sent here 2 or 3 times previously but he doesn't live here so im wondering why An Post used his name on the letter or what is their system of sending out letters?

Their system is something along the lines of get a name and keep sending letters until finally a court summons through registered post. If it turns out they dont live there they send someone out to find a name and repeat the process.

EDIT: Just noticed you said he didnt live there. Did he get anything through registered post? I think they can use that to get a name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

But they have no way of finding out your name unless you tell them.

Our house is a massive one that has been converted into 3 apartments. The letter wasn't registered, it was just put in through the letter box.

I just found it odd to see my brothers name on the letter since he has never even set foot in the apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Our house is a massive one that has been converted into 3 apartments. The letter wasn't registered, it was just put in through the letter box.

I just found it odd to see my brothers name on the letter since he has never even set foot in the apartment.

Assuming your brother did not tell the TV license people his name the only other ways An Post can find out who the occupant is if your brother either received registered post in his name of any kind to your address before or his name is on the electoral register for that address.

gurramok wrote: »
    Assuming your brother did not tell the TV license people his name the only other ways An Post can find out who the occupant is if your brother either received registered post in his name of any kind to your address before or his name is on the electoral register for that address.

He has never received registered post in his name to our address, they have just been 2/3 normal letters. Any post to do with voting gets sent to our homeplace where the mammy lives as that's the address they have. Im still a bit baffled how they got his name.

The only thing I can think of is that someone gave them his name when they called around. Definitely dont accept any registered post for him, has a high probability of being a court summons. Best to call them and tell them that you have no need to get one or to buy one.

Well we do need to get a new Tv licence, they are right about that. I don't like the thoughts of forking out for this only to find we have to pay the broadcasting charge in a few months as well.

I wonder if we will get another letter in my brothers name?

Once there is a TV licence at that address they will drop your brother instantly and move on to sending the named person on the TV licence letters when it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I don't like the thoughts of forking out for this only to find we have to pay the broadcasting charge in a few months as well.

The broadcasting charge is the TV license, isnt it?

djimi wrote: »
    The broadcasting charge is the TV license, isnt it?

Yeah that makes sense actually! I'm not sure what way I was figuring it out in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    But they have no way of finding out your name unless you tell them.

Unless of course you get post. Remember, it is An Post who collects the TV licence, and who delivers letters to your address. Every now and then they do a cross check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

I live in a rented house with 2 other friends. Given we all work during week and the house is unoccupied from 7am-9pm most days bar the weekend could we just avoid answering the door unless we know who it is and be ok(and we generally know when people are calling by anyways so a random knock means it goes unanswered ;))?

I guessing there is no other way they can get access to somebody to issue a fine esp given the last licence was in a name of a tenant who no longer lives there! If a summons arrives it wont be in any of our names and so wont be opened rather binned! Even if a letter arrives with our name on it we could say it never arrived ;)

We will be paying it soon as not worth hassle further down the road but i'm just curious as to what would happen...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

mitosis wrote: »
    Unless of course you get post. Remember, it is An Post who collects the TV licence, and who delivers letters to your address. Every now and then they do a cross check.

They're pretty crap at it. We've been in this house for 3 years. I've closed the door on the tv license inspectors face countless times after he has asked my name. I have loads of bills arriving here.

He was on a mission to get us for about 2 months as well so if it's as easy as you say I'm sure he would have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

maniac2000 wrote: »
    I live in a rented house with 2 other friends. Given we all work during week and the house is unoccupied from 7am-9pm most days bar the weekend could we just avoid answering the door unless we know who it is and be ok(and we generally know when people are calling by anyways so a random knock means it goes unanswered wink.png)?

Nothing good ever comes of answering the door when you are not expecting someone. If it is a friend they will calll your phone, if not it is most likely someone looking for money such as Vodafone, airtricity, charity collectors, TV licence etc etc. It is not going to be good news anyway.
    Mr Whirly wrote: »
    They're pretty crap at it. We've been in this house for 3 years. I've closed the door on the tv license inspectors face countless times after he has asked my name. I have loads of bills arriving here
    I am not sure that they are allowed to cross reference with the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I am not sure that they are allowed to cross reference with the post.

On what grounds are you not sure?

I've done it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mitosis wrote: »
    On what grounds are you not sure?

I've done it.

If I had grounds then I would be sure:D

You're a TV licence Inspector?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

living in same house for 12 years, never have paid a tv license and hopefully never will ;) ~Yes im a ****! hehe

Advertisement