Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hard water supply

Options
  • 12-07-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I received a notice from Kildare County Council to say that a new harder water supply was coming into effect from July 16th using water from the river Barrow and blending it with the exciting water source.

I thought this had already happened over a year ago - I've noticed the small I've build ups for months already in the kettle.

Does anybody know if this means even more water will be coming from the Barrow source or if its no change at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What area?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Most of central Kildare - Monasterevin, Kildare, Athy, Newbridge.

I think they have been using blended Poulaphoca and ground water for some time pending the development of the Barrow extraction. Water has been moderately hard for some time as evidenced by limescale build-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ive never had any limescale, Im really disgusted that we are now going to get hard water and will have to pay for the privilage of it when water charges come !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Does anyone know if the Barrow supply is the one that serves Stradbally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hi everyone - the Council made a mistake on the mailshot for this. Any areas that were switched over to a blended supply from the Thomastown wellfields in the last few years (Monasterevin, Rathangan, parts of Kildare Town, Milltown....) should not have received notice on the Barrow switch.

A section of mid and south Kildare is now on a new supply from the Barrow. The water is piped to Old Kilcullen, where it is mixed with Poulaphouca water and then redistributed. In late 2014, the Council will open a new treatment plant at the Barrow that will further reduce hardness. Neither this new blending nor treatment will improve the very hard water that the residents on the Thomastown supply suffer.

There is a vigorous debate on this over on Facebook - here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

foodaholic wrote: »
    Ive never had any limescale, Im really disgusted that we are now going to get hard water and will have to pay for the privilage of it when water charges come !!!

With my tongue firmly in my cheek, if you are getting soft water for free now, think of the water charge as the cost of the added ingredient limestone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Just add a bit of lemon and you'll nearly have yerself 7-UP! ;)

Just add a bit of lemon and you'll nearly have yerself 7-UP! ;)

And the fluorine will keep your nashers bright and white!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

HonalD wrote: »
    And the fluorine will keep your nashers bright and white!

The word is 'fluoride' but thats not what your drinking. what is added to our water is flurosilicic acid and does more harm than good.

The word is 'fluoride' but thats not what your drinking. what is added to our water is flurosilicic acid and does more harm than good.

Sorry, can't spell. Am surprised that the f acid does more bad than good. Any studies in Ireland about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

what is added to our water is flurosilicic acid and does more harm than good.

I'd be inclined to agree for the simple reason that if adding it to drinking water is so beneficial, then why is it that only a handful of countries in the world do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

HonalD wrote: »
    Sorry, can't spell. Am surprised that the f acid does more bad than good. Any studies in Ireland about that?

There have only been whats called 'low grade' studies on fluoridation in Ireland, for a more concise view you'd need to review the tests done mainly in England and America. There's one from Harvard University that's pretty damning. Other scientific reports can be found under the scholarly tab in google and show a direct link between fluoridation of water supplies and mortality rates. Google these, they take a bit of digging but can be found on the internet.

On the most basic level your body cant brake down the fluorosilicic acid in the same way it breaks down food etc. That leaves you with 'deposits' of the fluorosilicic acid in your body which can contribute to (among others) thyroid problems, memory problems including dementia, it destroys collagen in bone, teeth, and the rest of the body. It bio-accumulates in the body as you consume it each day and can also lead to a weak and enlarged heart among other things.

Hydrofluoric acid shouldn't be consumed in any amount, especially by children. It is catagorised as toxic and corrosive.
    The best report done in Ireland to date is this one:
    Report - HUMAN TOXICITY, ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT AND LEGAL IMPLICATIONS OF WATER FLUORIDATION

I hope this helps people understand whats being going on here, I myself only recently started to try get my head around the situation and really understand whats happening in the Irish water supply. As it turns out there are loads of other people actively looking for this practice to stop. 'Ireland Against Fluoride' and 'The Girl Against Fluoride' are two rather large campaigns that people should also look up.

Getting back to the original header on this thread, The water supply in Kildare Town is going to change for the worse, where I live we have been on the bad supply for a few years. From January 2015 you will have to pay for your water but before that I want everybody in Kildare to know what to expect going forward from the barrow supply and I want everyone to understand what you will be paying for. If the supply was a soft water supply, with low quantities of lime and no fluoride I would be happy to pay for it but as it stands there is little difference between this and paying to be slowly poisoned. A touch sensationalist perhaps but when you read some of the reports out there there are few other conclusions to be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

The new supply is up and running a couple of weeks now. Definitely a difference in look, a cup of tea has that slimy stuff at the top, not much though. Cant say I notice a taste difference though. I believe its rated at 140, which is on the mild side of water hardness. I just hope that is what it stays at when the treatment plant is ready, right now its a 3:1 mix of Barrow water to the usual soft Ballymore Eustace water.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

There is a plan in place to put a softener on the water treatment plant at the Barrow supply (In 70 weeks time) but that won't help any of us on the Wellfields supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Riggs1981

I pay to take fluoride out of my water, now these charges. I refuse to pay for water that will slowly and cumulatively poison my family and I. Fluoridation is one seriously dated and flawed science. I don't know anyone who actually wants it after finding out what it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

In response to many concerns raised by local residents, I put a motion down at this week's meeting of Kildare County Council regarding fluoridation and asked them to outline national and international best practice. I have posted their response to my blog.

The official position and evidence continues to be that there is no health issue.

Has anyone noticed a big increase in lime scale this last two weeks? I first noticed it in simple things like Tea, so decided to use two different water testers. Both read approx. 260, this is way higher than what we were told of 140 :mad:

I noticed this on Kildarecoco, I wonder with the issues they were having, did they stop blending...

(The Barrow water will be mixed with Ballymore Eustace Water at the Old Kilcullen Reservoir)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has anyone noticed a big increase in lime scale this last two weeks? I first noticed it in simple things like Tea, so decided to use two different water testers. Both read approx. 260, this is way higher than what we were told of 140 :mad:

I noticed this on Kildarecoco, I wonder with the issues they were having, did they stop blending...

(The Barrow water will be mixed with Ballymore Eustace Water at the Old Kilcullen Reservoir)

Ballymore Eustace had serious supply issues and the blends were changed for much of the county as a result.

MYOB wrote: »
    Ballymore Eustace had serious supply issues and the blends were changed for much of the county as a result.

Is that the official line? Do you know if there are plans to revert to the 3:1 blend at 140, that we were told we would get?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yes:

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/ThisisanupdateonthecurrentsituationforwatersupplyintheKildareArea.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

And no idea. I'd suggest contacting them and if you get nowhere, contact a councillor as I've found the council often refuse to tell the public things that they'll then tell a councillor that they know is going to tell the public...

• Advertisement

Just seen this thread which confirms what you said, I hope it does revert and soon;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057072152

Advertisement