Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion inc Raising Roof

Options
  • 12-07-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I know this is a very "how long is a piece of string" question but I was wondering if anyway could throw me a few ball park prices for what I need done. At this stage I'm just playing with the idea.

Have an attic that's barely tall enough to stand in the centre and I'd like to get it converted into a room. The floor area is approx 50sq metres / 540sqft.

The roof is hipped and since I'd need to raise it anyway (increase the roof pitch I presume) I'm considering building up the gable ends to remove the hip on each end - the idea being to have more room up there.

Ideally I'd like to have a dormer window.

I know it sounds like a massive job and might be cheaper to build an actual extension to the house, but would anyone have any (very) rough costings per square foot or otherwise for the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Rough "Drumming" here .....

I would guess min €35k but could rise to €70k. i.e. €750m2/€1500m2)

Roof alterations are labour intensive and require safe access (scaffolding) so relatively expensive way to create the external enclosure to a living space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Rough "Drumming" here .....

I would guess min €35k but could rise to €70k. i.e. €750m2/€1500m2)

Roof alterations are labour intensive and require safe access (scaffolding) so relatively expensive way to create the external enclosure to a living space.

Great... was kind of thinking around the €30k and up myself. It's a pricey job alright.....

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

SachaJ wrote: »
    I know this is a very "how long is a piece of string" question but I was wondering if anyway could throw me a few ball park prices for what I need done. At this stage I'm just playing with the idea.

Have an attic that's barely tall enough to stand in the centre and I'd like to get it converted into a room. The floor area is approx 50sq metres / 540sqft.

The roof is hipped and since I'd need to raise it anyway (increase the roof pitch I presume) I'm considering building up the gable ends to remove the hip on each end - the idea being to have more room up there.

Ideally I'd like to have a dormer window.

I know it sounds like a massive job and might be cheaper to build an actual extension to the house, but would anyone have any (very) rough costings per square foot or otherwise for the job?

Hi SachaJ,

Wondering if you went ahead with this or even just got any quotes as it's something I am considering doing myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

No, at this stage I've not had anyone into look. The house is being renovated currently so any attic conversion is way down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tax back for any reno work >5k coming from January in the new budget...worthwhile to hold off on a job of this size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement