Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

String slipping off recurve bow

• 12-07-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi new to archery I have a recurve bow, the string keeps slipping off. This wasn't an issue when they were new. Do I need a new string

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

How old is your bow and what condition is your bow in? If the string is properly fitted it shouldn't happen.
    How new are you to archery? Have you done a beginners course and learned how to string a bow properly or have you just gone out and bought a bow?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭paddie9

The bow and string are a year old. The bow is spotless, straight and stored unstrung.
    Couldn't afford to do a course at the moment, just trying to move on with the best advice I can get.
    As for fitting the string, I did as the vendor said and put it in to the only grooves that were there. It can only go one way.

PM sent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Does this help:

262345.png

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Did it always slip off or has it started happening more recently? Could be a cheap Dacron string that has stretched.

:EDIT: if it is Dacron, buy a new Fast Flight (or anything that isn't Dacron really) string.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Fast flight strings aren't suitable for all limbs. Beginners/training limbs aren't made to cope with fast flight materials.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

This is a strange one alright. It's like your string has stretched, which I very much doubt unless you're using it a few times a week. The limbs are definitely tight? Are you feeling the same tension at the point when the string slips into the notch when using the stringer that you felt when you got the bow first or is it just slipping on easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I saw a young lad with the same issue. He was not retaining his brace height when unstringing his bow.
    Check the manufacturers recommended brace height and ensure you're there or there abouts.

Due to a lack of response I think that the problem may have been solved by the set up image provided by Greysides.

Thanks very much for the replies I became indisposed for a while. I am not yet able to look at the bow, when I am able I'll go through them.
    Again thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Keith1212

It could be anything, Here's a list of known issues : The limbs are twisted (It happens it's not your fault), you're using other than recommended strings for the bow( I.e fastflight ) or the covers of the string have torn because of use. I would recommend going to a local club and ask them for advice but if you want to preserve your limbs you should store them in a cool temperature room as the heat will bend the limbs.

Thanks I got back on my feet I had an archer look at it and it they said it was the string. Replaced and everything seems good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Seen a fellow once who had the same problem! His limbs were on backwards!

Advertisement