Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Singer/Poet

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hope you can help. My mother passed away yesterday and I am planning her funeral.

Many years ago, I attended a performance in Nenagh by a young (late 20's I'd guess) singer/poet who was fluent in Irish. Physically, all I remember was a great head of curly black hair. He played guitar, sang and recited several of his poems. One of them concerned waking up each morning in the upstairs bedroom as his mother "created the world anew" each morning as she made breakfast for the family and the sounds and smells reached up to him.

Not much to go on, and I probably don't even have the details right but .. . . If you can help me identify him and the poem, it would mean a lot to me to have that poem be a part of her service.

I know he's active in Ireland as I've heard him on the radio a time or two since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Condolences on your loss, hope you find what you're looking for.
    Could it be John Spillane you are talking about, youtube will have hundreds of his songs, he is best mates with the Irish language poet Louis DePaor so has probably dipped into poetry himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Sounds a bit like Paul Muldoon except about 3 decades younger!

OP was this a specific event? Was it in Nenagh town or at a local festival like Terryglass Arts Festival or Dromineer?

Advertisement