Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good beauty therapist D15 area?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I need a good waxer!!:P Any recommendations in the D15 area, particularly someone who will wax a pregnant lady!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've been to the place in Laurel Lodge, Pure Health in Ongar and Beauty at 96 and have had mixed experiences with all of them.

For waxing, and I know this sounds mad, but I go to Waxperts in Dun Laoghaire. Pain free, their own wax is practically pain free and most importantly they don't double dip (apply wax to your skin with a spatula then dip that spatula back in the pot for more wax - the bacteria from your skin is transferred to the pot and with each pot doing 6-8 people...it can get manky. Don't believe the people who say the heat of the wax kills the bacteria, it doesn't and you can get nasty infections).

Always ask a salon if they double dip before booking. If they do, go elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've always felt that waxing was a gross dirty thing to do without really knowing why, but now Athtrasna you've fully convinced me! Ewwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Cheers Athrasna, I must look into that place in Dun Laoghaire, although I was hoping to find somewhere good close to home - I'm six months pregnant and cannot reach certain parts anymore, so have to get waxed :p - there's no way I'm going au naturel until October!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Double dip.

Ummmmmmm....... ;)

nikpmup wrote: »
    Cheers Athrasna, I must look into that place in Dun Laoghaire, although I was hoping to find somewhere good close to home - I'm six months pregnant and cannot reach certain parts anymore, so have to get waxed :p - there's no way I'm going au naturel until October!!!

They've started licensing salons to use their wax and training them. Check out the waxpertswax fb page, there's a list of stockists in their notes section. Couldn't see any in D15. If you give them a ring they should be able to help

• Advertisement

Have booked pure health in Ongar, they seem very good, I was impressed with their standard and they offer a range of Prenatal treatments too. I'll let you know how I get on :)

nikpmup wrote: »
    Have booked pure health in Ongar, they seem very good, I was impressed with their standard and they offer a range of Prenatal treatments too. I'll let you know how I get on :)

Don't let them double dip ;)

I'll make sure to say it to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Pardon my ignorance but when you say 'double dip' do you mean that they put the spatula back into the pot, anytime I get waxed they do this over and over until they are finished. Should they be using a new spatula everytime they need to put wax on you.?

miss misty wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but when you say 'double dip' do you mean that they put the spatula back into the pot, anytime I get waxed they do this over and over until they are finished. Should they be using a new spatula everytime they need to put wax on you.?

ABSOLUTELY they should :eek: Some places split a spatula and use the top once and the bottom the other time and that's fine but dipping a spatula in a pot, rubbing it on your skin and putting it back in the pot to get more wax is an absolute no no. Like I sad, one pot of wax does up to eight waxes...do you really want four other people's bacteria (and possibly blood) rubbed onto your skin? Your salon may try to convince you that the wax is not enough to kill bacteria, if it was, it would be too hot to put on your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Crikey that sounds awful,:eek: is there anywhere that does not do this, makes it kind of difficult to find a salon that uses the correct method.

miss misty wrote: »
    Crikey that sounds awful,:eek: is there anywhere that does not do this, makes it kind of difficult to find a salon that uses the correct method.

No, you just ask when you contact the salon. Waxperts certainly don't and on their list of people who use their wax they highlight those who don't double dip. Here's the list https://www.facebook.com/notes/waxperts/salons-with-waxperts-wax/358151680902541

Advertisement