Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smash Bros Melee Tournament @ Tolka Bar this Saturday + Rules

• 12-07-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

I was going to post these in the DOC Topic, but even the fact that we picked Smash as the last game is pretty deep into the thread, and people clearly didn't see that.

DOC topic here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056975913

Fun Melee team tournament that is fun rules:

2 player team VS 2 player team, team damage is on like donkey kong

Sets are best 2 out of 3, 3 stock, 5 minute time limit.
    Single elimination bracket will do fine.

If matches go to sudden death, play it out before dem bombs start falling.

No character lock: Since I don't believe "match-ups" will be a factor, but fun should be, everyone is free to change characters after every game of a set. To keep things vaguely fair, the winning team should pick their characters BEFORE the losing team.

SPECIAL ITEM RULE: Items can be used on a match-by-match basis.
    Each team votes for "Items" or "No Items", if both teams agree, that choice is selected.
    This is so you guys can do what you want, as opposed to what I want.
    If the teams disagree, rock/paper/scissors or a coin toss decides, winner picks.

Craziness dampening rule: What items are on or off will be preset to the save file and should not be changed, but only the most game and time impacting items have been disabled, such as those that confer long periods of invunerability, or restore all/most health.
    Disallowed item list: Starman, Heart, Maxim Tomato, Invisibility, etc

SPECIAL STAGE RULE: Similar to the item rule, teams can vote for "Random Select" or "Choose stage"

Like items, the stages on the randomly selectable list have been preset to those of my own preference of the "less crazy" ones. I imagine none of us (myself included) have the mechanics/match-up knowledge to know what stages positively or negatively affect certain characters, so I've just disabled all the stages that I feel have an overwhelming ability to kill the player. These are mostly the scrolling stages, and the tiny, impossible to recover from ones of Brinstar Depths and Flat zone. Also Temple because it's giant.

If teams agree to pick a stage, and agree on a stage selection; they may at that point pick whatever they want. No stage banned. May God have mercy on your souls.

General Dave recommendation: Random Stage + Items on Low should be a good balance between fun and proper play if nobody cares to pick anything themselves.

PAUSING: Pause will be disabled, so feel free to mash the start button after death to screw over your teammate and steal their lives.

Quick beginner/non-player tips:

Attack:
    Mashing the yellow C-stick is a pretty solid strategy. Up, Down and Forward are each a different attack. Do that for the win, but don't hit your team mate (or do :D)

Defense:
    Recovering to the stage: Jump (up, x or Y), Jump again (up, x or y) and then Up + B is the standard way to gain the most vertical height, and is how characters mostly get back on the stage in order to not die. If that sounds fiddly though, you can always pick:

Jigglypuff: 5 jumps, and a forward+B that gives crazy forward momentum
    Kirby: 5 jumps and an up+B
    Yoshi: 2 jumps, second jump goes ridiculously far and has super armour

Block: Hold a shoulder button to block. Time and damage will deplete your shield. If you allow it to shatter you will be dizzied. Blocking in the air does an "air dodge", which gives brief total invunerability, but then disables all your inputs until you touch the ground. "Air dodging off the stage" is one of the most common causes of player death, aside from "playing as Fox or Falco".

Shoulder button + left or right is a dodge roll, small invunerability similar to a SF4 backdash.
    Should button + down is sidestep dodge. Small invunerability but doesn't move anywhere.

That should do it. Any questions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Strawberry Oreo

Put it to 4 stock and 7 minute timer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Put it to 4 stock and 7 minute timer

Considering that this is a tournament mostly aimed at non-players/casuals players, and I'm trying to make it as fun as possible; these alterations would only serve to make each game, and therefore the entire tournament run longer.

I don't see a good reason to do that.

If we finish in good time, it sounds like there's enough extra gear coming that we could run some more serious casuals, or even a side "double elim non-team tournament" :)

No worries - I just think it'll be a very quick tournament if its single elimination 2v2 tournament, but of course that will depend on numbers.

No worries - I just think it'll be a very quick tournament

Anyone who was considering NOT entering this has heard it here confirmed independantly: It will be a very quick tournament!

Everyone please enter, I haven't had a Smash tournament in over four years. Lets get some numbers and some hype!

Is there a prize btw? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

By no means does my word speak for Voa's but if the tourney runs short and you've 8 people or whatever for a proper double elim job I don't see a problem with that. By that point I'll just be having pints and SF though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

You played smash Dave? How come you never mentioned it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

#BuffKirby

Is there a prize btw? :D

For me the prize is that we HAVE a tournament at all, but also this one will have live commentary and be uploaded to youtube later, as long as Nintendo isn't feeling too evil.

Generally Dublin tournaments give prizes as a percentage of the pot from entry fees, but since this is a free side tournament (right Voa?), the prize is: My respect.

Limited time offer. More coveted than any steam sale.
    By no means does my word speak for Voa's but if the tourney runs short and you've 8 people or whatever for a proper double elim job I don't see a problem with that. By that point I'll just be having pints and SF though :)

If everything else finishes on time, and you're okay with leaving the recording set-up running, then I can absolutely make it Double elim or boost the stock/time.

I just didn't want my hard fought smash to turn into the next "Game nobody plays that has a 45 minute grand finals that nobody wants to run ever again"

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    You played smash Dave? How come you never mentioned it before?

Melee is my favourite game ever.

Ever.

I thought I harped on about it all the time...

:pac:

Awesome!! - Recorded and put on to youtube is a prize for me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Will this be recorded?

DooM's setup is now for HDMI input, which the GC/Wii does not have. Doubt he'll want to bring the original Hauppage just to record one game using component cables.

I certainly don't want to bring mine anyway, as I've only a desktop setup.

Will this be recorded?

DooM's setup is now for HDMI input, which the GC/Wii does not have. Doubt he'll want to bring the original Hauppage just to record one game using component cables.

I certainly don't want to bring mine anyway, as I've only a desktop setup.

I have a component to HDMI converter.

If that works now is a different story :)

Doom where did you get that? I need to plug my Wii into my Monitor via HDMI. Saw some on amazon but they look dodgy.

Also will there be gamecube controllers tomorrow?

Also will there be gamecube controllers tomorrow?

We'll have some, but could always do with more.

I have a Wii Component cable that I believe also fits a GC, but not all PAL GCs have that port on them and very few PAL GC games supported 480p.

What setup do you use Dave?

Also, on a sidenote, what version of Melee are people bringing?

IIRC it goes something like this:

NTSC Melee - 1.0

PAL Melee/US Player's Choice - 1.1

PAL Player's Choice - 1.2

I have a Wii Component cable that I believe also fits a GC, but not all PAL GCs have that port on them and very few PAL GC games supported 480p.

What setup do you use Dave?

Also, on a sidenote, what version of Melee are people bringing?

IIRC it goes something like this:

NTSC Melee - 1.0

PAL Melee/US Player's Choice - 1.1

PAL Player's Choice - 1.2

I have a Wii and a component cable, but if you could bring only one piece of gear Chopper, please bring your cable too so we can test both on Doom's setup.

I have PAL Player's Choice disc because my original version spun itself to death (no cracks, it just apparently got dizzy from constant use :D), but to my knowledge there's no differences in different PAL printings. Just between PAL and NTSC.

We'll have some, but could always do with more.

I'll bring my only left standing gamecube controller but it's not the best nick.

I have a Wii and a component cable, but if you could bring only one piece of gear Chopper, please bring your cable too so we can test both on Doom's setup.

I have PAL Player's Choice disc because my original version spun itself to death (no cracks, it just apparently got dizzy from constant use :D), but to my knowledge there's no differences in different PAL printings. Just between PAL and NTSC.

Right, so that's:
    • Monitor
    • PS3
    • Injustice
    • Headphones
    • Wii Component Cable
    • Speakers
    • PS3 Composite Cable
    • HDMI Cable
    • Gamecube Controller
    • PS2>GC Converter
    • My stick

I may have misplaced my PS3 composite cable which is a requirement for getting sound from my PS3 with the monitor I'm bringing, so if someone could bring a PS3 composite cable (Yellow/Red/White) that'd be great thanks.

Also, anyone bringing a 360, bring a HDMI cable and the standard composite cable (this cable may have its casing broken off :pac: ). Makes it much easier for us to setup then.

Doom where did you get that? I need to plug my Wii into my Monitor via HDMI. Saw some on amazon but they look dodgy.

It is, indeed, an amazon job, and you do, indeed, have to be careful with them. I've gotten it to work before though recording MK.

Component is an analog signal whereas HDMI is digital- any kind of "component to HDMI" cable without some electronics converting the signal is bogus. They are simply incompatible.

The downside to even the good converters is it does kinda feel like it creates a small bit of lag.

I have this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Component-Converter-Supports-Lifetime/dp/B002C7CCJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373640629&sr=8-1&keywords=component+to+hdmi

and this also does the job, apparently.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-Component-video-Output-Converter/dp/B005WZMSVM/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1373640710&sr=8-27&keywords=component+to+hdmi

Right, so that's:
    • Gamecube Controller
    • PS2>GC Converter

Leave these out of you're overburdened. Based on my private convos with people we seem okay for GCN standard gear, the component cable is what I'm most interested in.

• Advertisement

It is, indeed, an amazon job, and you do, indeed, have to be careful with them. I've gotten it to work before though recording MK.

Component is an analog signal whereas HDMI is digital- any kind of "component to HDMI" cable without some electronics converting the signal is bogus. They are simply incompatible.

The downside to even the good converters is it does kinda feel like it creates a small bit of lag.

I have this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Component-Converter-Supports-Lifetime/dp/B002C7CCJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373640629&sr=8-1&keywords=component+to+hdmi

and this also does the job, apparently.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-Component-video-Output-Converter/dp/B005WZMSVM/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1373640710&sr=8-27&keywords=component+to+hdmi

Nice, so you can record matches? I really would love to know what I need for that. I'll talk to you tomorrow about it. Cheers for the links.

Nice, so you can record matches? I really would love to know what I need for that. I'll talk to you tomorrow about it. Cheers for the links.

I don't want to promise I will record it, because I have never tested Wii or gamecube recording before. However I believe I have everything I need to make it work!

No worries - We'll see tomorrow sure.

For anyone who is interested in playing smash socially / competitively I'm hosting a tournie next week at mine.

Join our FB group and I'll send you an invite to the event! :)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1397757767105208/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭SuperChar

Are you guys going to do it again

Advertisement