Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

days out

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

any ideas on cheap days out to bring 3 kids aged around 12 in or around kildare,money very tight for the summer:(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Lullymore is lovely,Donedea around Maynooth university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

caragh pet farm is also cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Clonfert Pet Farm is a good one.

Castletown Hse free , great place for a picnic

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Castletown Hse free ,

2013 ADMISSION PRICES:

Valid OPW Heritage Cards and Dublin Pass Cards - FREE admission

Adults € 4.50
    Senior Citizens/Students/Children of 5 & over € 3.50
    Family €12.50
    Groups (of over 20 people) € 3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

foodaholic wrote: »
    2013 ADMISSION PRICES:

Valid OPW Heritage Cards and Dublin Pass Cards - FREE admission

Adults € 4.50
    Senior Citizens/Students/Children of 5 & over € 3.50
    Family €12.50
    Groups (of over 20 people) € 3.50

Grounds are free if that's what he was implying (picnic).

Maynooth Castle is actually free from memory.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Grounds are free if that's what he was implying (picnic).

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Not a day out but Maynooth Castle and college grounds will pass a bit of time and all free.(Then theres the Maynooth playpark near train station)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I agree, the college grounds are nice for picnic and a walk.

We had a great time today at Wallaby Woods near Donadea. Loads of places to picnic, petting farm, playgrounds and a nice walk. 2 adults and 3 children cost €20.

Also Odeon cinemas have all sorts of deals over the summer: http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/great_offers/?utm_source=odeon&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=bargaindaywed_ire_cph2&utm_campaign=bargaindaywed_ire_cph3/#offer1273

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Donadea forest, Moore abbey woods in Monasterevin, Pollardstown Fen, Playpark in Kilcullen, Kildare farm foods - have a little petting farm thats free (you can buy little containers of feed to give to the animals as you go around plus you can do a bit of shopping) The Liffey park in Newbridge - get some little fishing nets and catch minnow and crayfish!

Should have clarified ... castletown hse grounds are free tbh the house is nice but not fantastic because its basically unfurnished. Picnic and a paddle at the many little 'beaches' be careful in the water and have sandles on there might be broken glass .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 pobble

jam jar twine and off to the liffey for minnow catching! donnellys hollow, saint brigets well is fun..we used to go there and make boats out of the small drink cartons wed sail them down the little stream and catch them. great fun! play ground in kildare town. cinema in newbridge does €5.00 on a wednesday and also i think they have a kids club. The river bank theatre in Newbridge does a cinema club to i think and its only a euro or two. (at least it was a year or two ago.) have a look at the local family resource centres to. i know the one in newbridge have run free summer activities. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Should have clarified ... castletown hse grounds are free tbh the house is nice but not fantastic because its basically unfurnished.
    :confused: Loads of the rooms are furnished. I did the tour a couple of months ago and thought it was good value.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    :confused: Loads of the rooms are furnished. I did the tour a couple of months ago and thought it was good value.

Hmmmm ok , I last did it when it was free at heritage week about 2 yrs ago :-)

we go walking in the grounds at least once a week .......... love Castletown ! Great local asset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Its free ALL THE TIME now!Cool !Self guided , no accompanying guides.I dont know HOW they expect to keep the place from being vandalised but they DO have a fair few attendants wandering around .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Emo house in Bally brittas great area for picnic and football. And you can always go looking through the forests and lanes.

I'd my kids down there told them it was a dinosaur jungle and we had great fun four hours with or imagination. Plenty of deer and rabbits there to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fefi

Days out vouchers from Tesco are now online, and they post them out within 2 working days. Your Tesco vouchers are worth 4 times their value in days out tokens.
    You can buy a one year fishing licence for 10 euro- a couple of nets and you can challenge therm to catch some fish near Newbridge bridge.

The library is free, and offers some free summer classes. Also, Newbridge library is running a reading challenge- you read 10 books, review them, (in writing) and there's a prize at the end.

Ranch O'Reilly's (Carlow- 50 mins from Newbridge) offers a family ticket for 20 euro. You can bring a picnic, its open from 11 to 6, and has assault course, indoor play-park, playground, pet farm, football field, bouncy castles, pony rides, train ride, go cart and crazy golf.

Build a mini assault course in your back garden- dealz offers really long foam sticks for 1.49 each. Thread them through hedges and chairs to limbo under, or jump over. They can be used as fencing swords when cut in half.

Arts and crafts challenges can be great, and super cheap. Buy a large tub (500ml) of good quality PVA glue (about 6 euro). challenge your kids to build something- like a robot thats 3 feet high, with a time limit. Tell them they can only use rubbish from the recycle, plus the glue. If you want to be able to reuse the parts- try using brass fasteners to join the items together.

set up a picnic outside using a fleece or towels as a picnic blanket.

use random toys or clothing to build a (temporary) giant collage

Have a garage sale- gets rid of all the toys, clothes etc they are grown out of, and gives you some cash for the dreaded September bills.

Advertisement