Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner sees different

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Have been drinking out of control for years now and yesturday I bit the bullit and rang aa and I have my first meeting tonight. I told my partner and was suprised at his reaction.

He said I am not an alcaholic and my real problem is what I drink shorts are just too strong. He said do I realy want to let the town say I am an alcaholic when I just need to change my drink.

Confused now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Maybe your partner doesnt want to be seen as the partner of an alcoholic? I think you need to listen to your own heart here. Go to the meeting anyway, going to a meeting doesnt make you an alcoholic. You can talk to the people there about whats going on and what your partner has said.

Best of luck, its great you are addressing this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

How did you get on at the meeting bettybarlow

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

OP does your partner drink heavily too? If so then it may be a case that he doesn't want you to upset the applecart and make him have to look at his own habits.

Either way, I think it's a bit out of order for him to question you when you've taken such a brave step in your life.

Who would admit to having a drink problem if they did not have one to some degree?

Only YOU know yourself and how you feel.

Fair play to you for stepping back and looking at yourself and wanting to make a change. You don't have to be a full blown alcoholic to feel the need for and indeed be entitled to seek help.

Also, you don't have to go to a meeting in your locality.. have you looked in near by areas?

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bettybarlow

How did you get on at the meeting bettybarlow

It was an experience for me. I sat and I cried for most of it.
    People were very different than I expected. Very positive in their outlook, very welcoming.

I went to another one tonight.

thank you for taking the time to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bettybarlow

xzanti wrote: »
    OP does your partner drink heavily too? If so then it may be a case that he doesn't want you to upset the applecart and make him have to look at his own habits.

Either way, I think it's a bit out of order for him to question you when you've taken such a brave step in your life.

Who would admit to having a drink problem if they did not have one to some degree?

Only YOU know yourself and how you feel.

Fair play to you for stepping back and looking at yourself and wanting to make a change. You don't have to be a full blown alcoholic to feel the need for and indeed be entitled to seek help.

Also, you don't have to go to a meeting in your locality.. have you looked in near by areas?

Best of luck.

Thank you very much for what you said. Yes that's how I feel. I need to change my life and I wanted to do something different to change it.

My partner likes a drink but would not have the same attitude to drink that i do. He likes to drink but does not use it to change his mood or escape like i do.
    My partner is very much the kind of person who thinks people should just discipline themselves

• Advertisement
Advertisement