Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a top in transition

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Can anyone confirm the rules around changing a top in transition

I was planning on wearing a bike jersey and then change to my tri-top for the run ?

will I get DQ for a quick switcharoo ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

dario28 wrote: »

I was planning on wearing a bike jersey and then change to my tri-top for the run ?

Jaysus don't mention the war.

It seems that a DQ will only be dished out if you're a woman showing of your breasts.

If it was a DQ i seen at least 50 in Athlone last weeks that should have been given one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 RunMD

If you got some man boobies and long hair , it may be an issue ..

if not switch away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I thought men weren't meant to have exposed chest either?

dario28 wrote: »

Thus why i said if the rules were properly inforced there would have been at least 50 DQ in Athlone !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have checked and this is true. Its something to be aware of, gentlemen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    I have checked and this is true. Its something to be aware of, gentlemen.

Can't see anything in da rules that defines a male changing his top in transition as "indecent exposure"? Incidentally, baring your torso on the run or bike is explicitly forbidden.

Rules
    7. TRANSITION AREA CONDUCT:
    7.1. General Rules:
    h.) Nudity or indecent exposure is forbidden;

28.Compete with a bare torso; - Stop and Go when amended
    - If not: DSQ

33.Nudity or indecent exposure; - DSQ

42.Crawl during the running segment; - DSQ ;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Can't see anything in da rules that defines a male changing his top in transition as "indecent exposure"? Incidentally, baring your torso on the run or bike is explicitly forbidden.

Rules
    7. TRANSITION AREA CONDUCT:
    7.1. General Rules:
    h.) Nudity or indecent exposure is forbidden;

28.Compete with a bare torso; - Stop and Go when amended
    - If not: DSQ

33.Nudity or indecent exposure; - DSQ

42.Crawl during the running segment; - DSQ ;)
    `

It does not say no bare torso on bike/run......it says "comepte" which i would understand to also include T1 and T2 !

`

It does not say no bare torso on bike/run......it says "comepte" which i would understand to also include T1 and T2 !

Maybe you need to have a closer look at the rules?

5. CYCLING CONDUCT:
    5.1. General Rules:
    (ii) Cycle with a bare torso;

6. RUNNING CONDUCT:
    6.1. General Rules:
    a.) The athletes will:
    (iv) Not run with a bare torso;

Nothing mentioned about bare torso's in Transition.

Maybe you need to have a closer look at the rules?

5. CYCLING CONDUCT:
    5.1. General Rules:
    (ii) Cycle with a bare torso;

6. RUNNING CONDUCT:
    6.1. General Rules:
    a.) The athletes will:
    (iv) Not run with a bare torso;

Nothing mentioned about bare torso's in Transition.

Yes but what was posted said "compete". I only replied to what was posted !

A bare male torso does constitute nudity. I'm not trying to add to any controversy here, but this is how it was clarified to me.

• Advertisement

A bare male torso does constitute nudity. I'm not trying to add to any controversy here, but this is how it was clarified to me.

I'd agree with that in that all are treated in an equal manner.

I think thats the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

so no need for a male/female categories or prizes so.
    I think we need more prizes not less. maybe some prizes by weight category, number of years race entered etc, any excuse to hand out a prizes. :)

You'd know far more about the constitution of bare male torso's than I would Oryx, but that clarification seems like a right fudge (not saying you didn't get it from a reputably source, just it smacks of someone's personal definition of the rules to avoid "gender bias"). It'd be a brave official who DQ'd a man changing his top for "nudity"! Has any male been DQ'd for "bare torso" nudity while changing a top before?

You'd know far more about the constitution of bare male torso's than I would Oryx, but that clarification seems like a right fudge (not saying you didn't get it from a reputably source, just it smacks of someone's personal definition of the rules to avoid "gender bias"). It'd be a brave official who DQ'd a man changing his top for "nudity"! Has any male been DQ'd for "bare torso" nudity while changing a top before?
    You'd have to ask TI that. This has come up because a TO applied the rules in an isolated case which gained huge publicity. TI now HAVE to be seen to apply the rules fairly and equally according to the ITU rulebook.

You'd have to ask TI that. This has come up because a TO applied the rules in an isolated case which gained huge publicity. TI now HAVE to be seen to apply the rules fairly and equally according to the ITU rulebook.

Hard cases make bad law. If the OP was to change his shirt in T2, and bare his chest, he'd be doing nothing wrong, according to the ITU rulebook (which already recognises gender and religious differences- female athletes from Muslims countries are allowed to have the body totally covered; males may not (must be uncovered from the shoulder down)).

The OP is looking for clarification, there's none in this thread for him. Rules are rules, interpretation is a different matter. If TI want to stand behind their official who DQ'd a female mid-packer for "nudity", having bare boobs while changing a top, that's their right. If they want to extend that rule to say men can't have bare tops in trans, because that's nudity by equality, that's a very strange interpretation of nudity, and I'm sure it would be easily challenged. As far as I can see no man has been DQ'd under ITU rules for baring his chest in trans.

Stupid rule anyway, nothing whatsoever wrong with nudity- "indecent exposure" (being prurient) would cover any mickey-wavers or pole-dance wannabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

AFAIK and I can't find the press release now, in the wake of Westportgate, TI stated that the rules apply to both men and women, no exposure in transition at all or on any part of the course.

OP the best thing to do is wear a one piece trisuit or if you really have to change your top, wear a skin base layer so you do not expose yourself.

Personally it is a pet hate that so many of the small rules are flexed / bent out of shape. It is a relatively small thing in the greater scheme of things but tem is the rules.

I note that TI are looking for a commitee on rule management from high level TO's too. There might be some clarification on the grey areas and enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Jesus people. I suppose equality is king but a fella changing his top if he wants, or a lady changing her top while wearing a sports bra could not be deemed "indecent exposure" or indeed nudity. I know the script of the rules, but the recent high profile case (if I'm not mistaken) refers to a woman exposing her mams for an extended period ("almost a full minute") - Surely there was no need for this!!

There's a great word called discretion which should be used by the Officials.

Traditionally, a male exposed chest and female exposed breasts are looked on as different things. Extend this strict TI rule to the outside world and the Gardaí would be very busy right now!!

Podge83 wrote: »

There's a great word called discretion which should be used by the Officials.
    I think it is. The rules were always there, and there was never a problem. One woman causes an awful rukus because she doesn't understand the rules, TI have to make a statement, and hereafter, have to advise people on the rules in a way that is seen to be fair, or ladies like her will cry sexism. That is where we stand.

We see it on boards, posters try to rules lawyer. It happens in tri too. But I would expect that discretion will be used. There is such a thing as bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I think it is. The rules were always there, and there was never a problem. One woman causes an awful rukus because she doesn't understand the rules, TI have to make a statement, and hereafter, have to advise people on the rules in a way that is seen to be fair, or ladies like her will cry sexism. That is where we stand.

We see it on boards, posters try to rules lawyer. It happens in tri too. But I would expect that discretion will be used. There is such a thing as bad publicity.

It could be read in my post that I don't think discretion is used - I think it is used. And it must continue to be used!!

• Advertisement

Very good synopsis- I doubt we'll be getting any definitive statements from TI on this (nor should we, its a storm in a teacup). At Lanesboro today it was stressed that biking or running without a top was against the rules, even though it was very hot. We were told we could zip down our trisuits a bit, "but lets not be seeing anyone's belly hanging out":D

Didn't look for or notice anyone changing tops in trans, but most just wear trisuits anyway.

The exact rule on zipping down trisuits is nipple height. If there's a danger of strict enforcement, they recommend putting a pin through the zip at this point, or wearing a suit with a zip at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The nudity rule was emphasised at Swinford yesterday. The briefing said something like: None of us want to end up on Joe Duffy tomorrow morning.

Everyone was warned before the swim that if we didn't have anything on under our wetsuits we had two minutes to put something on.

Even after this I did see one lad racked behind me who had no top under his wetsuit, an official ran over and told him to put a top on immediately or he would be DQd, he eventually put something on.

hardCopy wrote: »
    The nudity rule was emphasised at Swinford yesterday. The briefing said something like: None of us want to end up on Joe Duffy tomorrow morning.

Everyone was warned before the swim that if we didn't have anything on under our wetsuits we had two minutes to put something on.

Even after this I did see one lad racked behind me who had no top under his wetsuit, an official ran over and told him to put a top on immediately or he would be DQd, he eventually put something on.

Yep the power of Joe !

Also they upped the darfting pens as well, 5 min wasn't it ?

Yep the power of Joe !

Also they upped the darfting pens as well, 5 min wasn't it ?

I thought that it was longer because it was a HIM. Bigger distance, bigger punishment?

hardCopy wrote: »
    I thought that it was longer because it was a HIM. Bigger distance, bigger punishment?

Ah right !

Ditch spoke about nudity in the same away in Athy, even in the Double Olympic there was a guy with nothing at all under the wetsuit.........DQ !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 new2du

ITU rules state, section 2.8 Uniform (v) "A one piece uniform is preferred. If a two piece uniform is used, the space between the top and the bottom may be not visible, so the two pieces overlap. THE ATHLETE MUST COVER THE TORSO DURING THE ENTIRE RACE."

Ah right !

Ditch spoke about nudity in the same away in Athy, even in the Double Olympic there was a guy with nothing at all under the wetsuit.........DQ !

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

im doing tri the hook my first tri in 4 weeks and had planned to wear tri shorts under my wetsuit and then throw on a t-shirt for the cycle and run.
    does all of the above now mean i have to buy a tri suit or top . the wife will f***in kill me if i spend any more on my mid life crisis( i got my motorbike in my 30's so that doesnt count)

• Advertisement

im doing tri the hook my first tri in 4 weeks and had planned to wear tri shorts under my wetsuit and then throw on a t-shirt for the cycle and run.
    does all of the above now mean i have to buy a tri suit or top . the wife will f***in kill me if i spend any more on my mid life crisis( i got my motorbike in my 30's so that doesnt count)

I got a sleeveless Dunlop running top in Penneys for my first tri, it cost less than a tenner, something similar would probably do you.

Or a cheap running singlet like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nike-racer-singlet-ss13/

The lad I saw on Sunday got away with it but he could easily have been DQd, is it worth the risk of having your day messed up by a DQ?

Advertisement