Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a top in transition

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

At the race briefing in Carrick on suir yesterday there was no mention of drafting or nudity. Does that mean the race was draft legal? Some people in the race obviously thought so. There was plenty of bare torsos on show before the race (all male!) but after the race I heard the one of the TI officials telling guys to cover up in transition. The race was finished then so did he have any right to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I wear plasters over my nipples to prevent chaffing when I race, so am I allowed go topless in transition (or is that too burlesque for TI?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

So I had planned to go with bike top and change to tri top for the run but when the TI guy mentioned the whole Joe duffy incident during the Swinford briefing I thought it might be best to ask him.

He was sound in fairness thanked me for telling him and said when I get back into transition to give him a shout and he would hold a towel around me and I could get changed

in the end when I got back he was busy dishing out penalties for helmet removal before racking so didnt bother getting him and just ran in bike top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    At the race briefing in Carrick on suir yesterday there was no mention of drafting or nudity. Does that mean the race was draft legal? Some people in the race obviously thought so. There was plenty of bare torsos on show before the race (all male!) but after the race I heard the one of the TI officials telling guys to cover up in transition. The race was finished then so did he have any right to do this?

Of course not, its up to you to know the rules. The briefing is just a nice reminder and what's said depends on who the race ref is on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

griffin100 wrote: »
    I wear plasters over my nipples to prevent chaffing when I race, so am I allowed go topless in transition (or is that too burlesque for TI?).

Can you get nipple plasters that have pics of nipples on them.........now that would really be confusing for the guys from TI:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

In New York the law was changed that since it was legal for men to be topless then in the interests of equality its been made legal for women to walk around topless. Some GREAT photos (NSFW) out there of a cracking blonde model get photos police officers in very public places. Not illegal so the cops just smiled and posed.

I for one would whole heartedly support allowing toplessness for both sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Looks like TI are taking this issue quite seriously

http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/GalwayAquathon2013_LongCourse.pdf

I wonder where on the list of priorities is drafting??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ah that's an absolute joke - I am trying to get the stages

• come out of the water
    • Take off wetsuit
    • Put on t-shirt if you don't have a tri-suit on
    • Start running
    Is this why they are been busted - pretty soon every beginner will forced to buy a 100+ tri suit to get around this or join a club and get a subsidised one for 70ish. Just another expensive add-on to an already expensive sport.

TI really do themselves no favours sometimes, they fight battles they shouldn't and ignore ones they should - a full minute penalty - 50% of a penalty that they apply for cheating (which they apply rarely).

It looks like our only choice is we put on an auld ones voice and ring Joe Duffy complaining about drafters will be the only way TI will address it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bloody hell. So some aul one who might never do a tri again has messed it up for everyone else?

Anyone from Galway confirm why it was so harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah that's an absolute joke - I am trying to get the stages

• come out of the water
    • Take off wetsuit
    • Put on t-shirt if you don't have a tri-suit on
    • Start running
    Is this why they are been busted - pretty soon every beginner will forced to buy a 100+ tri suit to get around this or join a club and get a subsidised one for 70ish. Just another expensive add-on to an already expensive sport.

TI really do themselves no favours sometimes, they fight battles they shouldn't and ignore ones they should - a full minute penalty - 50% of a penalty that they apply for cheating (which they apply rarely).

It looks like our only choice is we put on an auld ones voice and ring Joe Duffy complaining about drafters will be the only way TI will address it

they consciously and with premeditation broke the rules, surely they should have been DQ'd. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

4 TI officials at Galway yesterday probably due to the number of kids races. Very active on the run course and in transition. They seemed to represent Ti very well but it's a pity they have to enforce such a silly rule.

Perhaps it's time to change this nudity rule and put the resources into drafting.

As an aside at swinford half I overheard a conversation about drafting between 3 competitors at the prize giving, none of them were sure of the drafilting rules????

These guys were experienced looking triatheletes. Maybe the information deficit needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I know of one experienced athlete who previously didn't draft. He raced at the weekend and has adopted the attitude "feck it, rules not being enforced, everyone doing it, I'm sitting in a TTT for the ride".

He did.
    He was alot faster.
    He didn't get done (no one did)
    He'll do it again.

But heaven forget there should be a bit of nip slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

So does that mean for pool tris you have to wear a trisuit or else leave a top at the exit from the pool?

TI have their priorities arseways. Showing chest hair is now akin to cheating. Drafting is a much bigger issue and they seem afraid to properly tackle this. It takes balls and technical knowledge by a TO to issue a drafting penalty, issuing penalties for bare chests in transition takes neither of these.

On the subject of important rules I wonder what TI's approach to doping in NS and non NS races is? Anyone here ever been tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Very Interesting question by Griff100 - One step further - if the torso is banned in transition how come it can be shown for the full swim!.

This is getting out of hand. Surely (I touched on this above) a fella or a lady wearing a sports bra can have a quick swap FFS. Not everyone likes to wear or can afford a tri-suit!!. The case that this whole discussion (Joe Duffy) et al started from was a lady bearing breasts for an extended period (or so I was told - I wasn't there so don't know for sure). She SHOULD have been DQ'd despite what Mr Duffy says.

Its ridiculous how in the case above so many were penalised when there were no drafting penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Podge83 wrote: »
    Its ridiculous how in the case above so many were penalised when there were no drafting penalties.

It was an aquathon, no drafting applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

It was an aquathon, no drafting applies.

I apologise. I didn't realise. Please forgive me. I'm going now as that's the second moan I've had to withdraw today!!!

I should look before I leap.

The Torso thing is still a joke though!!!:D

Advertisement