Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC Series Record

• 12-07-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

In the process of switching from WMC to XBMC for media as well as live TV.

One thing I'd NEED (mainly to keep the wife / kids happy) is the ability to record a series.

Is this possible?
    Using NextPVR as my TV Server right now but don't see a series record option.

Anyone have this working?

Comments

Yes its possible, there are guides on XBMC wiki. If you already have a backend setup then you just add the client on XBMC via the add-ons menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Yes its possible, there are guides on XBMC wiki. If you already have a backend setup then you just add the client on XBMC via the add-ons menu.

Could you send me a link?
    I can't find anything to do with series link.

I've already got the backed sorted (NextPVR) as well as the add-on for the front end. Followed this guide

One off recordings & scheduled recordings are there but no "series link" (Sky+) or "recored series" (WMC) option is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is series link made available on your chosen backend?

I have never used it, but I see it is available in TVHeadend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Series record is not currently available via xbmc front end with nextpvr.

You can set up series record via nextpvr itself or its own web ui but not through xbmc.

I'm sure it will come eventually but not right now.

meep wrote: »
    Series record is not currently available via xbmc front end with nextpvr.

You can set up series record via nextpvr itself or its own web ui but not through xbmc.

I'm sure it will come eventually but not right now.

Thanks for the info.
    I haven't setup the WebUI yet but the online documentation confirms the option to 'Record Season':
    "Record Season (NEW episodes on this channel): records all shows on this channel which are marked as 'new' (requires a supported EPG)."

Will probably need to get a better EPG then too!
    Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Well, the nextPVR webUI will let you do this and I know it works (I set up 'Luther' to record series a few weeks ago and checked in yesterday and it's all there).

However, it's an appallingly poorly designed UI and you won't have much fun using it, plus it takes you out of the XBMC environment to do so.

PVR in XBMC is relatively new and series record is something that just hasn't arrived yet which is frustrating as now it's got almost everything you'd need.

In terms of EPG UI, that's another kettle of fish. The lightest, brightest UI I've seen to date is Bello, but of course, that's a mater of opinion.

the nextPVR developer claims to have written the support for genre colour coding into the next version of the plug-in but that's not been publish yet and even then, we'd need to find skins to support this.

I'm still trying to get my channel logos into my XBMC skin....

Peter

Well, the nextPVR webUI will let you do this and I know it works (I set up 'Luther' to record series a few weeks ago and checked in yesterday and it's all there).

Great to know.
    Thanks.

Shame it can't be done through XBMC but as you said I'm sure it will come at some stage.

Me again.

If the series recording can be setup via NextPVR's webUI then could I use something like WebViewer to setup the recordings without having to leave XBMC?

Thanks

I haven't tried that but it should work OK. I'll say again, though, you'll be sorely disappointed with how the NextPVR webUI looks.

I haven't tried that but it should work OK. I'll say again, though, you'll be sorely disappointed with how the NextPVR webUI looks.

That doesn't sound "wife-friendly" at all! :eek:

• Advertisement

Not wife-friendly at all.

This is the only outstanding feature that's preventing me dumping Sky and moving to a full freesta/saorview XBMC solution...

Not wife-friendly at all.

This is the only outstanding feature that's preventing me dumping Sky and moving to a full freesta/saorview XBMC solution...

Sorry to be digging up my old thread from a couple of years ago but has there been any progress on a "wife friendly" series record since the change from XBMC to KODI?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Yep, works quite well with the Confluence skin. Haven't found any of the other skins that have it working though.

tipperary wrote: »
    Yep, works quite well with the Confluence skin. Haven't found any of the other skins that have it working though.

Cool thanks. Will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

tipperary wrote: »

+1

Using xbmc (kodi) with mediaportal backend and it works well. Particularly liked Rapier skin but only confluence allows you to access the additional recording dialogue to select series links, repeat daily, etc.

Only issue is that it "remembers" the series slot, so if the series ends, the new show that takes over that slot starts to get recorded. Not a big issue as you just need to delete the timer if you don't need it.

+1

Using xbmc (kodi) with mediaportal backend and it works well. Particularly liked Rapier skin but only confluence allows you to access the additional recording dialogue to select series links, repeat daily, etc.

Only issue is that it "remembers" the series slot, so if the series ends, the new show that takes over that slot starts to get recorded. Not a big issue as you just need to delete the timer if you don't need it.

Thanks but I'd call that just setting a timer rather than 'series record'
    I really want to switch from WMC to Kodi but unless it's series record is wife-friendly it won't happen.

On WMC if she records a series (e.g. Grand Designs) it will record every episode of that season but if a new season starts & she didn't realise it was starting then WMC will automatically record it again even if it returns on a different day or time.

There's also options to include repeats or not.
    There's also options to record it 'on this channel only' or on 'any channel'.

It just uses the EPG to find out when its on.

The reason I'm thinking about switching again is down to my EPG not downloading Channel 4 for some reason any more but that's a different thread.

me again!

I wonder would this do the job?

http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC

To clarify, XBMC, or Kodi as it is now called, does not support series link. As you say it allows you to set daily, weekly, weekend, events and such but not pure series link.

However, Mediaportal, as well as WMC by the sounds of it, and other Mediaservers as well I suspect, do support series link via the EPG data to one degree or another.

So rather than replace the mediaserver with Kodi, i use Kodi for my front ends only. I still have a mediaserver which hosts the DVB tuners and disks but now I can move that box out of the way, and where-ever I have a TV, just use a cheap Raspberry Pi2 device to access the content.

So what this means is that you can set up your recordings natively on the backend, you have full series link functionality, and can select and view the shows via Kodi frontend. But if you try to schedule the recordings via Kodi, you will not get full series link - quite simply Kodi does not have the ability to pass series link information back to the server.

Added benefits of splitting out the frontend from the mediaserver is that you can access live TV and all recordings from any TV in the house that has a Kodi front end - be that TV, phone, tablet, etc. Also means no messy coax feeds from Satellite dish and saorview going to different rooms that have a TV/set box box, all you need is a network (wireless or better still, powerline )

frash wrote: »
    me again!

I wonder would this do the job?

http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC

Exactly! This looks to be the WMC version of the Mediaportal plug in I use. You can keep both mediaserver and kodi front end on the one box if you just have the one TV, or you could split them out across seperate devices

To clarify, XBMC, or Kodi as it is now called, does not support series link. As you say it allows you to set daily, weekly, weekend, events and such but not pure series link.

However, Mediaportal, as well as WMC by the sounds of it, and other Mediaservers as well I suspect, do support series link via the EPG data to one degree or another.

So rather than replace the mediaserver with Kodi, i use Kodi for my front ends only. I still have a mediaserver which hosts the DVB tuners and disks but now I can move that box out of the way, and where-ever I have a TV, just use a cheap Raspberry Pi2 device to access the content.

So what this means is that you can set up your recordings natively on the backend, you have full series link functionality, and can select and view the shows via Kodi frontend. But if you try to schedule the recordings via Kodi, you will not get full series link - quite simply Kodi does not have the ability to pass series link information back to the server.

Added benefits of splitting out the frontend from the mediaserver is that you can access live TV and all recordings from any TV in the house that has a Kodi front end - be that TV, phone, tablet, etc. Also means no messy coax feeds from Satellite dish and saorview going to different rooms that have a TV/set box box, all you need is a network (wireless or better still, powerline )

Great post - thanks for clarifying! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just to add a little info ...... the backend should also be accessible by other applications.

For instance I use the tvheadend on the backend and VLC (with HTSP plugin) can get the info from the backend and play live TV.

There might be other players also that I have not tried ;)

Advertisement