Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA/ JSB entitlements?

• 12-07-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

So, I just finished my final year in college. I've been looking for paid work for the last three months (while I was finishing my degree) but I can't find anything.

I have a degree in film production and any entry level jobs I can find are unpaid/ internships. I've recently started one of these internships for a few weeks, just to give myself something to do.

I'm living in Dublin part time (in that, if I'm not doing the internship I'll go back home rather than stay in Dublin and spend money I don't have).

Basically, I'm still a bit confused about the whole signing on thing in general. Do I sign on in Dublin or back home? In Dublin I have 1 bill in my name that I can use as a proof of address (the rest are in my landlord's name). Is this enough? If I sign on back home, will it be means tested? Should I mention the word internship to them or will whatever I might be entitled to be stopped?

The only way to get into the industry I want to get into is by working unpaid/interning which I would have no problem with, if I was getting social welfare. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(Also, to make a claim, no matter where it is, do you have to contact them and make an appointment or just go in one day and start things in motion in person. I'm pretty clueless about all of this)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You need to sign on where you are going to live full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You will not be able to receive jobseekers if you are in an unpaid internship...you have to be available for full time work. I know you will say that you are looking for and available for work... but unfortunately you cannot undertake an unpaid internship and be in receipt of jobseekers.

eastbono wrote: »
    You will not be able to receive jobseekers if you are in an unpaid internship...you have to be available for full time work. I know you will say that you are looking for and available for work... but unfortunately you cannot undertake an unpaid internship and be in receipt of jobseekers.

Agree with this. If you're found out, you'll have to pay back what you received while working. It's always best to go in to the Labour exchange and discuss everything with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

Thanks for the replies. Will be calling in this week when I get a chance to my Dublin office and seeing what the story is.

The only entry level jobs in the field I work in are unpaid, so it seems crazy that I will have to sit at home and do nothing for three months until I qualify for the jobsbridge scheme before I can finally take an internship. But if that's the way it works, then there's not much I can do.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement