Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dog and ferry crossing

• 12-07-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

This is the first time we are taking our 2 yo whipet on the ferry from Dublin to Hollyhead and would really appreciate some advice on how to make it as stress free as possible. We are booked on the fast craft so about 2 hrs to cross.

He is usually a great placid dog and has handled long car journeys fine with stops to stretch his legs but am worried about the dark and noise of the car deck on the ferry.

Anyone have some tips etc would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

If traveling on Irish Ferries you can book kennels free of charge, however Stena line do Charge .
    Don’t forget to bring food, water, bowels, and a toy or whatever the dog likes to play with.
    The kennels a quite big with plenty of room to move around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I always leave mine in the car for ferry crossings, I'm normally on the slow ferry so it takes the guts of 4 hours. They're really comfortable in the car so I'd rather that than the on board kennels which would be unfamiliar to them. I leave water, and leave my boot open, I have a tailgate system which I can lock so they're safe. I normally hang on until I'm one of the last leaving the car decks, and it's normally quite quiet noise wise. My lot just chill out and go asleep until I get back. There's a beach in Holyhead which we drive to to let them have a blast before hitting the road again. I feed mine their dinner early the evening before and don't give them breakfast so they don't get seasick, I always think that makes them feel awful, they hate to vomit when they're enclosed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd echo what TMD says... You can walk him around whilst you're queueing before checking in for the ferry, then a walk at the other end. The first time I brought mine on a ferry, the staff let me go down to check on them, but I was sorta sorry I did because I woke them and disturbed them!
    That said, it's at the discretion of the staff whether they let you go down to your car during the crossing.
    If your dog is happy in the car as it is, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Thanks very much for the advice.

I saw the kennels listed for irish feries but think himself would probably prefer the car boot. It is a largs estate and he will have it to himself wih his bed,duvet and toys aswell as food and water.

Our vet did mention a calming travel tablet but then said whipets and other sighthounds arent sometimes god on them as they have a slow heartbeat at rest.

Fingers crossed all goes well. We have a long drive the other side which wont be made any easier with the smell of vomit if he is sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

ra0044 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the advice.

I saw the kennels listed for irish feries but think himself would probably prefer the car boot. It is a largs estate and he will have it to himself wih his bed,duvet and toys aswell as food and water.

Our vet did mention a calming travel tablet but then said whipets and other sighthounds arent sometimes god on them as they have a slow heartbeat at rest.

Fingers crossed all goes well. We have a long drive the other side which wont be made any easier with the smell of vomit if he is sick.

There are a lot of motorway stops over in the UK, not sure where you are travelling to but there is one in the lake district in particular that has a dog walk. I've travelled around with my hound (lurcher) and its been grand getting out for stretches.
    Also bear in mind that there is a lot more freedom to wander in the UK with footpaths marked with wooden signs where you can happily walk your dog if you are off the Motorways.
    Regarding the ferry crossing the above advice is sound. I left mine in the car where she has her blanket etc so she has her familiar smells and things around and she was grand. Only problem was me and the guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

I took my dog only once from Holyhead to Dublin. He was only a puppy and I decided to leave him in the car. I didn't opt for the on board kennels because I have doubts about the hygiene situation. Eventually when at the arrival I rushed to the car I had all the worse thoughts in my mind. The pup instead was happily wagging his tail like he would do the passage every morning without a problem.
    I also share the idea to walk the dogs before boarding. My vet also recommended not to feed the dog the day of the travel as he could get sea sick. Water is different, dogs should always have water with them.
    2 hours is a fast crossing and your whippet should do just fine without any calming aid. I foster sighthounds and for the past two years all my fosters have been transported by van (ence boarding ferries) to different locations on the continents. Not once there was a problem.

They Keep the Kennels just at the entrance were the cars come in. So if they are crate trained they should be able to handle it. There are people constantly working there too and the always love to go and say hello to the dogs.

Fast ferry is 2 and a half hours and slow ferry is 3 and a half hours.

I dont know what the situation is leaving them in cars as you no longer have access to the cars during the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I travel with my dogs on the ferry all the time. Just leave them in the car and he will be fine. A good walk too before the ferry trip to tire him out and i guarantee he will just chill out and sleep.

I personally would never leave mine in the kennels or crates. I would feel much happier with them in their own car and surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

Really great advice everyone. Really do appreciate it.

He us such a calm dig most of the time so should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wit Irish Ferries they have 2 types of kennels

If you're travelling on Ulysses (The Slow Boat) then they're great, lots of room in them, but if you're travelling on the Swift then they're just large boxes stuck onto the car deck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

Has anyone travelled by Irish Ferries to France with a dog. I wonder what the kennels are like and also what kind of access does the owner have considering the crossing is 15+ hours. The website says they are in a seperate room on the car deck and access is allowed by pre-arranged times with a crew member. I travelled with Brittany Ferries many times and one can access the kennels at anytime but I am planning on going in December when Brittany Ferries won't be running.

Advertisement