Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need to pay TV licence if I never use TV in my apt?

• 12-07-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I wasn't at home today, just receive post card about TV licence, and ask me to pay for it in next 5 working days.
    I have a TV at home, however I never use it and put it under my table.
    Is it matter when inspector came to my apartment??? If I hide it in my wardrobe, is it will trouble me?

I contacted my landlord and asked her to remove the TV, she says that I don't have to worry about it, cause it is not connected. She dose not have space for it.

Please give me hand on this, just found out many people went to jail, because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Doesn't matter if you don't use it. If the device is capable of receiving a television signal, you are liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭xiuzhen

What's the device of signal???What is it like? I only have UPC broadband at home. Is it the device???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

There's new legislation being brought in to include computers/laptops under the tv license umbrella so you'll be got for that soon enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Doesn't matter if you don't use it. If the device is capable of receiving a television signal, you are liable.

The TV is the device.
    It is capable of receiving a signal - whether you have a signal or not is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

xiuzhen wrote: »
    What's the device of signal???What is it like? I only have UPC broadband at home. Is it the device???

If the device is capable of recieving a television signal then you have to pay for a licence.

Tell the landlady to remove it immediately or she must buy a licence for it because you don't watch it and don't want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Get the tv out of the house and then ring them and let them know that you don't have a tv (or any device capable of receiving a signal) in the house.

The fact that you dont use it doesn't matter to them. I was told that even if I had a tv buried away in the attic, I would have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Put it in the boot of your car and get your landlord to tell them youve no tv on the property. Keep the tv in the car until it all blows over and you find a proper place for it.

Shouldnt have to pay if its basically a brick under the bed.

...dont forget to hide your smart phone and lap top or PC. they count as RTE viewing devices, these days you have to be Amish to avoid the tv license. :D

This isn't true. Only pc's/laptops with TV cards fall under this. They have talked about a replacement for the TV licence that will include internet capable devices but this hasn't been brought in yet

this isnt true. my tv license says ''any device thats capable of receiving rte'' and it doesnt mention tv cards??? so you are telling me i can hook a pc up to a 40inch monitor and not have to pay a license?

Yes. As long as that monitor cant receive a tv signal.

E.G. 30" Tv with a laptop hooked up to it = You need a licence as the tv can receive a signal.

30" Monitor with a laptop hooked up to it = You don't need a licence

30" Monitor and a PC with a tv card hooked up to it = You need a licence as the tv card can receive a signal.

Please look at the massive tv licence thread over in broadcasting (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011)

Also, here is some info on the (internet) tv licence that they are going to bring in.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-broadcasting-licence-to-target-every-irish-household-even-those-without-a-tv-26812865.html

Edit: added 3rd example
    2nd Edit: I was being a bit snotty :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Yes. As long as that monitor cant receive a tv signal.

E.G. 30" Tv with a laptop hooked up to it = You need a licence as the tv can receive a signal.

30" Monitor with a laptop hooked up to it = You don't need a licence

30" Monitor and a PC with a tv card hooked up to it = You need a licence as the tv card can receive a signal.

Please look at the massive tv licence thread over in broadcasting (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794011)

Also, here is some info on the (internet) tv licence that they are going to bring in.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-broadcasting-licence-to-target-every-irish-household-even-those-without-a-tv-26812865.html

Edit: added 3rd example
    2nd Edit: I was being a bit snotty :D

i concede.

• Advertisement

i concede.

Don't worry about it. There is a huge amount of misinformation floating around and I even had the inspector straight out lie to me about something like that until I quoted the law and the fact that the new rules haven't been brought in. He then backtracked and said that they will eventually so we might as well pay now.

I only have this info fresh in my mind as myself and my housemates are trying to fight ours at the moment.

Advertisement