Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies in the house

• 12-07-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but i'm not sure where to post.

We bought a house about 3yrs ago and renovated it completly but it always seems full of flies even when it was empty and all the windows shut with no rubbish lying around. We could never find where they were coming from or getting in. Any suggestions on how to keep them out of the house? Is there any oils or anything that repels them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Citronella candles repel them but maybe you should consider giving rentokill a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Couple of situations I have come across where this has happened:

A dead bird fallen into a partially covered fireplace - though that would stop eventually, the infestation was very bad in the early stages.

Rubbish bins near a window

They do seem to overwinter in tiny cracks in walls and hatch when the weather warms up. I would think there must be a way in though for this to happen as there is nothing for them to lay eggs in if there is no rubbish. This might have happened in the early days when the house was empty, and now they are coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Citronella candles repel them but maybe you should consider giving rentokill a call

Thanks i'll try the candles.
    looksee wrote: »
    Couple of situations I have come across where this has happened:

A dead bird fallen into a partially covered fireplace - though that would stop eventually, the infestation was very bad in the early stages.

Rubbish bins near a window

They do seem to overwinter in tiny cracks in walls and hatch when the weather warms up. I would think there must be a way in though for this to happen as there is nothing for them to lay eggs in if there is no rubbish. This might have happened in the early days when the house was empty, and now they are coming in.

Ok thanks, it's unlikely to be rubbish as they were coming in when there wasn't any and even now the bins are 100ft from the house. We considered a fallen bird and that could have explained it in the begining but not the continuation surely :confused:

The 3 idea seems the most likely so its going to be a case of going around resealing all the windows to make doubly sure. Thanks again

Advertisement