Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU regulation could restrict genealogical research

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Scots would be troubled about this too I imagine, and I believe there's a lot of genealogy tourism to Italy amongst other countries. Purely wouldn't happen without records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I saw that report but maybe it won't happen unless all EU countries agree after all a lot of countries don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg viz., genealogical tourism. Perhaps they might clamp down on the online family trees though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you entitled to view any details which the government holds pertaining to you, free of charge ?

If this legislation were to go through, are you entitled to view your ancestors' details also free of charge as they would be yours by inheritance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

chughes wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you entitled to view any details which the government holds pertaining to you, free of charge ?

If this legislation were to go through, are you entitled to view your ancestors' details also free of charge as they would be yours by inheritance?

That is incorrect. Very briefly any entity holding personal data on individuals is required to register with the data protection commissioner. The entity is bound by law to keep that data safe and secure. You as an individual have a right (not in all cases) to obtain a copy of what is held on you to ensure the data is correct, available only to those who should have access to it and used only for specific agreed purposes. So, with some exceptions you can obtain your own data. There is a fee, but it cannot be more than +/-€6. (The BMD fee at the GRO is well below the limit.)

The brief article in the IT in Coolnabacky’s link above does not give any real info, just statements by the GSI. I cannot see how the ‘law’ could be enforced although I can see valid legal justification as to why one’s birth and marriage certs could/should be covered under data protection law. Those using data are either data controllers or data processors. If the law is passed as outlined every genealogical site would become either of the foregoing and would have to conform to the DP code – in effect, they would have to shut down IMO. In the unlikely event that the proposed law proceeds in a watered down version, it would probably mean the introduction of a 100 year rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

chughes wrote: »

You are kind of correct in question 1. If the FOI Acts apply to the public body in question then you can obtain your personal information free of charge. Some material is exempt from access though under both FOI and Data Protection even if it personal information.

I'm going to say no to question 2. I haven't read the legislation but don't understand your logic.

Some of the stuff in that Irish Times article is just incorrect or scaremongering. Data Protection applies to living people only. It mentions the parish records in the NLI but as these mostly go to 1880 only, Data Protection does not apply. I think some countries restrict access to BMD already - Australia? Personally, I think this is the correct approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement