Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Beach in Waterford

Options
  • 12-07-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Going for a swim this evening and usually swim in the river (always nice and quiet) and was wondering if someone could recommend a nice quiet beach.

I know it's going to be mental in Tramore, Dunmore, etc but are there any quiet beaches knocking around that I might not know about.

I like Annestown but probably won't be too quiet.

Oh and must be accessible by car!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Ballydwan is usually quiet even on the hottest day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should one be swimming in the sea in places you don't know, esp if you are on your own and its quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

mike65 wrote: »
    Should one be swimming in the sea in places you don't know, esp if you are on your own and its quiet?

Should one perhaps grow a set....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭blue note

Benvoy sounds like where you're looking for. A beautiful small beach that you haveto know of to find. Even on days like these growing up it was still quiet.

God I wish I still lived in Waterford. Stephen's Green and Sandymount are nice, but Waterford is just beautiful in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Should one perhaps grow a set....

4 dead this week from drowning, the OP may be Johnny Weissmuller or he may not. I just mention it as pause for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Rathmoylan cove is quiet enough. The water is absolutely freezing though, compared to tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Hi folks thanks for the responses. I actually won't be swimming on my own and I would only consider myself an average swimmer (in response to Mike65's comment/concern).

Will look the places suggested up on google maps to see where's handiest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

lassykk wrote: »
    Going for a swim this evening and usually swim in the river (always nice and quiet) and was wondering if someone could recommend a nice quiet beach.

I know it's going to be mental in Tramore, Dunmore, etc but are there any quiet beaches knocking around that I might not know about.

I like Annestown but probably won't be too quiet.

Oh and must be accessible by car!

Cheers

Which river are you talking about? Surely not the suir, pardon the pun:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

the quay river ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

thomasm wrote: »
    Which river are you talking about? Surely not the suir, pardon the pun:)

Yeah usually swim and water ski in mooncoin in the Suir... it's not a bit dirty up around there... never swam down around the quay area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Typhoon. wrote: »
    the quay river ???

best beach ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

+1 on Benvoy there is limited car spaces there so its gets tight when people are there but it is a lovely place for a quiet swim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

How far away from Tramore is Benvoy and how hard exactly is it to find?

How far away from Tramore is Benvoy and how hard exactly is it to find?

About 15 minutes. You go past annestown, it's less than 5 minutes after that. It's a little lane left just before you come to a left that would swing you around about 140 degrees.

Look it up on google maps before you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

cml387 wrote: »
    Ballydwan is usually quiet even on the hottest day.

It's been years since I was in Ballydwan. Do people still go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

blue note wrote: »
    About 15 minutes. You go past annestown, it's less than 5 minutes after that. It's a little lane left just before you come to a left that would swing you around about 140 degrees.

Look it up on google maps before you go!

found it almost straight away on google maps, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

found it almost straight away on google maps, cheers :D

And here's the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

It's been years since I was in Ballydwan. Do people still go there?

I should have spelled it Ballydowane.

I was there on Sunday. There were a few people.

I got home this weekend. Got to Benvoy on Saturday. It was beautiful. I couldn't believe how warm the water was. I read in the indo that July water temperatures are 5 degrees higher than normal. That's incredible!

Got out to Kilfarise today. Gorgeous again. Then the Guilliome on the way home. That place never heats up!

Still though, I was yearning for that weekend for weeks and it didn't disappoint one bit. Beer and barbecues didn't hurt either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

cml387 wrote: »
    I should have spelled it Ballydowane.

I was there on Sunday. There were a few people.

Cool, will have to venture out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement