Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a pay rise - how to approach it?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I'm working in a startup and I got the job through an agency. when I was being offered the job I expected X amount and was offered €2k less and told after three months they would review. I accepted cause it's my first career job and I had/have a lot to learn.

Now 5 month in I feel I'm in a better position to request a pay rise than at three months. In the contract I signed it says there is a 6 month probationary period (which can be extended if the company so wishes - but they won't, I'll be permanent) after which I'll be a full employee.

Now as I'm in a position where the go between at the agency told me three months and a review and the contract I signed says 6 months and this clause:
    ... salaries are fixed at the time of employment and are subject to review at the discretion of the Company ...

can I before the 6 months are elapsed, talk to my employer about the prospect of a raise in my 7th month (I'm in my 6th, so it hasn't elapsed yet)? Would it be recommended to bring it up now in preparation for the 7th month and how would I approach it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

there is no harm in asking. The clause in the contract is just to cover themselves so that you don't assume you will be getting a payrise.

If you are going to ask, then have all your facts in place, such as what you have contributed, goals you have achieved, targets you have exceeded, revenue you have generated etc etc.

I would perhaps wait until the probationary meeting and see how that goes - you might be offered a slight payrise after probation anyway. If not, at the end of the meeting broach the subject. (Obviously if the review isn't great or extended don't bother!) Perhaps ask for the €2k you were originally hoping for. Explain that the agency led you to believe the review would be after 3 mths, but you thought that it was too soon at that stage to request it as you were not as familiar with the role.

For now I would wait and see what happens with your probation, but be preparing your 'evidence' to support a payrise so that you can request it once probation is completed.

ETA - don't be disappointed if your request is refused. This is a startup company and increasing salaries may not be possible at the moment. Not getting a payrise right now is not a reflection on you. If your probation review is good then don't take a refusal as a knockback. In truth, most people would be in a job at least 12 mths before getting even a sniff of a payrise. Good luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I imagine they will address your pay rise in your probation meeting, and if they don't and it goes well then you can ask at the end etc. That way you are not specifically asking about it at this stage and it will probably come up in the meeting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Thanks for the replies, our company is not the most organised and I wouldn't be surprised if the bosses didn't even notice the six months were up. I have thought about the preparations and I don't want to mention anything until I get my argument composed for my payrise. I think I'm underpayed for my industry and market rate so I expect to be compensated to at least standard rate - the lower end of which would be that extra €2k.

I will probably have to remind them that my probationary period has elapsed. I want to approach it as best I can and get the most out of it that is possible so I will prepare thoroughly to argue my case and and wait to see if it is raised in a months time.

Advertisement