Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hypothetical adverse possession of a car parking space

• 12-07-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

I was reading another post in a different boards forum and I have a Hypothetical question re a car parking space.

Say I have an apartment and that includes a designated parking space (numbered). I don't use the space and a neighbour approached me to use for a nominal sum each month.

He never pays, continues to use the space and I don't stop him or ask for the money. Could he get adverse possession of the space?

What happens if he never discussed the space with me and just used for several years ? ( I never visit the car park so didnt know he was using the space)

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, a car parking space is an incorporeal hereditament as opposed to a vesting of title to land. Adverse possession refers to title to land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Isn't it pretty much impossible to AP leasehold land anyway?

EDIT: Also can't it be acquired by prescription, or is it not considered an easement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

amen wrote: »
    I was reading another post in a different boards forum and I have a Hypothetical question re a car parking space.

Say I have an apartment and that includes a designated parking space (numbered). I don't use the space and a neighbour approached me to use for a nominal sum each month.

He never pays, continues to use the space and I don't stop him or ask for the money. Could he get adverse possession of the space?

What happens if he never discussed the space with me and just used for several years ? ( I never visit the car park so didnt know he was using the space)

He knows somebody owns it (the management company of the apartment block) therefore adverse possession doesn't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Hullabaloo is on the money, a parking space is a license or incorporeal hereditament not an interest in land. You can't AP a license or IH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

amen wrote: »
    I don't use the space and a neighbour approached me to use for a nominal sum each month.)

Even if you could, it would fail here due to acknowledging ownership.... Am I correct? I'm a bit hazy on AP to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

chops018 wrote: »
    Even if you could, it would fail here due to acknowledging ownership.... Am I correct? I'm a bit hazy on AP to be honest!

If they stopped paying rent on a piece of land IIRC they start AP once the lease expires.

Advertisement