Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a toddler amused on a plane...

Options
  • 12-07-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Just reading a thread in AH about kids on planes & it got me thinking.
    I'm getting married next year & going on honeymoon to Florida (7 & 2 hr flights), we are bringing my son with us as he will turn 2 when we are over there so I don't want to miss that plus I think it would really nice for him to have his birthday with Mickey Mouse (who he's obsessed with). Truth be told it will probably also be our only chance to have a holiday for the next while as finances are tight so really want to include him in it.
    Anyway what I was really looking for was ideas & suggestions on how to keep a 2 year old amused for that length of time on a plane. He's a pretty easy going child be I can see him becoming restless having to sit still for that long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd bring a combination of crayons and paper, books, new small toys that he's never seen before and dvds. And teethdex to help him nod off to sleep! I found dozal made our son hyper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Congrats and good luck:D

Have had to do a few flights both long and short with my young lad so i know where you are coming from. The planes will have tv on the head rest of the seat in front of you so that passes time (kiddie channel) i also bring an ipad with me with games and activities i have downloaded. Also as it's a long flight just keep baby hydrated and every now and then get up for a toddle along the aisles (you be surprised how many smiles he will get) to stretch his little legs as he will get restless sitting all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

what about a portable dvd player, on top of some toys, i have used this a few times with my kids, well that was "only" a 2 hour flight, but it might help, hope it goes well. ohh and Congrats :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Should I give the Teethdex before or during the flight??
    I have a portable device you can download programmes onto so I'll download some of his favourite shows.
    Think I'll also start picking up some new inexpensive toys to open & play with on the plane. Also some of his favourite snacks.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've a few ideas to work on ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

And stickers, always a hit and easy to pack. Also those children's magazines that come with crayons and small toys. And little snacks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Should I give the Teethdex before or during the flight??

Personally I would give it just before boarding, in the Airport toilet.. it can be tricky to administer on board the plane.. depending on how easily your Son will take it of course..

Has he taken it before? Might be an idea to do a trial run a few days before you go.. make sure it doesn't make him sick or anything.

xzanti wrote: »
    Personally I would give it just before boarding, in the Airport toilet.. it can be tricky to administer on board the plane.. depending on how easily your Son will take it of course..

Has he taken it before? Might be an idea to do a trial run a few days before you go.. make sure it doesn't make him sick or anything.

No he's never had it, I'll do a trial run with it a few weeks before we go to make sure all is ok.
    Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

sellotape

make a ball of it and stick it to the childs hands, each time he touches it, it will stick to the other hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Keep him awake for a wee while longer than you should the night before ye fly, Hopefully after a couple of hours flying he'll tire himself out and get a kip in along the way.

My sister fly's frequently with her 2 year old and the kid usually sleeps during the flight.

Enright wrote: »
    sellotape

Wow, really didn't know where you were going to go with that for a second there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

When you book your flight requested the seating that has an little cot thing that the little fella can sleep in. I think they are called bulk head seats. I know my aunt swore by them when traveling with her youngest too and from the States.

I would suggest a portable dvd player and maybe some colouring books and maybe some small toy cars etc.

Miaireland wrote: »
    When you book your flight requested the seating that has an little cot thing that the little fella can sleep in. I think they are called bulk head seats. I know my aunt swore by them when traveling with her youngest too and from the States.

Never heard of those, will definately inquire about them when I'm booking, thanks!

Miaireland wrote: »

I would suggest a portable dvd player and maybe some colouring books and maybe some small toy cars etc.

On Aerlingus flights I've seen them give "bassinettes" which is basically a glorified cardboard box lined with blankets, but they are only for infants afaik, and you have to be sitting up the front to avail of them.

I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The bassinets are attached to the bulkhead but they are only for small babies.

The bassinets are attached to the bulkhead but they are only for small babies.

Yeah I had a look on the airline's website we're going to fly with & they on supply the bassinets for children up to 22lbs, little fella is almost that now so he would be too big to avail of this which is a pity.

Advertisement