Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Beach closed to the public following oil spill

Options
  • 12-07-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

From the RTE website:

Skerries North Beach in Co Dublin has been closed following a minor oil spill in Skerries Harbour.

Fingal County Council says the beach is not a designated bathing area, however it is popular with many residents.

Bathers are advised against swimming at the beach until further notice.

The council says oil has not reached the beach and it is monitoring the situation at Skerries Harbour, Skerries North Beach and other beaches in the area.

Local authority staff are at the scene and have erected signs notifying the public of the incident. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

South beach is still fine for bathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I was down on the North beach that afternoon. Dozens of other families. There was a very small diesel leak from a small sunken vessel at the harbour wall, which is around 100 - 300 metres away from the beach. It was completely contained by booms.
    Not a single notice on the beach itself.
    Absolutely no issues all afternoon, more problems from jelly fish. I was talking to a photographer from Fingal Indo on the beach who was sent out to cover the story, and could not believe the over-reaction.
    Could not believe the story of the beach that never closed was still on the radio at 7pm. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 newb12

Anybody know if the beach is stil closed and has it affected winkles etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Beach never closed, and remains open. Very much doubt it effected any animal life. As I mentioned, a complete over reaction by certain media outlets, without any basic checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Beach never closed, and remains open. Very much doubt it effected any animal life. As I mentioned, a complete over reaction by certain media outlets, without any basic checking.

I don't know how you would close the North Beach - families enjoying it today. The booms are still there, which restrict the coming alongside of boats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 newb12

thanks, I just saw it on a news website that the beach was closed.

Advertisement