Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should i do?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Well,

My son (nearly 15, 5 foot 10 ) is a keen fly fisher and good at it! anyways, we always fish together in are local river(we fish for wild brownies the local river is safe its not deep and it had as you could say the bed of the river has little stones which should be safe )right?, he really wants to get waders but i don't know what should i do ,should i get the waders or should i not (i'm not really good with the waders thing but anyways) please don't be mean i'm just asking a question

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

I think before you even consider buying waders you should first check to see the local bye laws for the river. there's a lot of rivers that wading is prohibited. anyway wading should be discouraged as lots of anglers who wade, unwittingly trample over spawning beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Very few keen river fly fishermen don't have waders. He should be fine.
    Get talking to an experienced wading fly fisherman in the area and ask him about the river and any dangers (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

A bit of tuition on what to do if you do slip and the waders fill with water is a good idea also.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

thanks for all the replies he's waded with waist waders before and it went well so ill probably go to a angling show or something and ask a expert about the water if it comes in throw the waders thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

dvae wrote: »
    I think before you even consider buying waders you should first check to see the local bye laws for the river. there's a lot of rivers that wading is prohibited. anyway wading should be discouraged as lots of anglers who wade, unwittingly trample over spawning beds.

Can you name one of these rivers where wading is prohibited??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Zzippy wrote: »
    Can you name one of these rivers where wading is prohibited??? :confused:

I can name a few in my area (galway) but if you want more ill have to dig out my maps.

bunowen, killian, castlegar, shiven, Kingstown, suck.

dvae i live in galway my self dunmore any recommendations anywhere any spots thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

if getting waders he also needs a life jacket

Yea we have one all ready thanks for the reply

What type of Waders should i get (i want them to last a good bit) can you recommend some?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

hip waders would be a good option. cant wander too deep with them : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I prefer thigh waders as opposed to chest waders. I've a pair of Aigle waders I bought in Sportsden Navan for $125 in '08, used a lot, still going strong. Nothing Like Aigle in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Well,

My son (nearly 15, 5 foot 10 ) is a keen fly fisher and good at it! anyways, we always fish together in are local river(we fish for wild brownies the local river is safe its not deep and it had as you could say the bed of the river has little stones which should be safe )right?, he really wants to get waders but i don't know what should i do ,should i get the waders or should i not (i'm not really good with the waders thing but anyways) please don't be mean i'm just asking a question

thanks

Encourage your son to keep fishing, I am 27 and if it wasn't for fishing and the outdoors my life would be a lot less enjoyable

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Encourage your son to keep fishing, I am 27 and if it wasn't for fishing and the outdoors my life would be a lot less enjoyable

He'll never stop he's hooked! he's fishing for about 6 years so ya he just caught a 2 and half brown trout!!!

Advertisement