Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnectic door holders

Options
  • 12-07-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I was asked to wire some magnectic door holders into an fire alarm panel, that when the fire alarm goes off the magnetic releases and the door closes. I thought I would have to wire it in fire tough but I see some of the door holders which have been previously installed are wired in either flex or nymj. So I was wondering can I use nymj ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i would think nymj would be fine
    assuming its a closed circuit ,if a fire burnt through the cable(unlikely that it would)the door magnet would release thus closing the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Thats what I was thinking myself. It's the only way I thought you could get away with out using fire tough was, like you said to go through a closed circuit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was asked to wire some magnectic door holders into an fire alarm panel, that when the fire alarm goes off the magnetic releases and the door closes. I thought I would have to wire it in fire tough but I see some of the door holders which have been previously installed are wired in either flex or nymj. So I was wondering can I use nymj ?

Well that depends. Are you the designer? If not you could simply ask the designer (and get it from them in writing). Are you certifying the fire alarm system? If so perhaps you can make that call.

This would be part of the fire alarm "cause and effect" and therefore is likely to be part of/aspect the certification. Is there a specification that states the cable requirements?

I know that when I installed these the requirement (as per the specification) was to use MICC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There could be a cable type specified in the design alright. Door magnets and their cables fail to the safe position if they are compromised though, since they are held on to be in the open position, so they wouldn't technically need to be as rated as the bells wiring for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I'd imagine it would be fine to wire in nymj once the I/O you're using is wired as part of the fire alarm in fire tough/MICC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement