Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre constant problems

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,
    I recently got efibre installed with a maximum working speed of 50mb.
    I was told that this is the max the line can carry. I have speeds of only 12mb wirelessly and 42mb using cable from pc to router.
    Eircom don't explain to you this variation in speed.
    Before this, I had a continuous speed of 8mb wirelessly all the time before efibre.
    Todays wireless speed tests are outrageous. Im getting 5mb max.
    Whats going on eircom?
    This is ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Paul74910 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was told that this is the max the line can carry. I have speeds of only 12mb wirelessly and 42mb using cable from pc to router.
    Before this, I had a continuous speed of 8mb wirelessly all the time before efibre.
    Whats going on eircom?
    This is ridiculous.
    The wireless range in Eircom's new F1000 router is very poor.  The solution is to invest in something like TP Link Powerline technology.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA551KIT-Gigabit-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00ASJRQQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373711343&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+551+kit

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=1658&model=TL-PA551KIT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

douglasman wrote: »
    The wireless range in Eircom's new F1000 router is very poor.  The solution is to invest in something like TP Link Powerline technology.
    Or better still buy your own router/access point and use the eircom as a modem only. Gives much more stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

TheChizler wrote: »
    Or better still buy your own router/access point and use the eircom as a modem only. Gives much more stability.
    Amen to that. Any all-in-one router given to you by Eircom / Vodafone / Generic ISP is gonna be a made in Taiwan, cheap and cheerful job that works but will more than likely give problems... be it constant crashes, some obscure bug with a specific wireless device or a cap on the number of connected devices before the network goes bang.

Use it as a modem and get yourself a decent wireless router... strategically place the wireless router close to where you need it most. Use powerline plugs if necessary to get the signal from modem to wireless router (it's the cleanest solution).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,
    Whats going on eircom?
    This is ridiculous.
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Paul74910

I agree, speeds of 5mb wirelessly are very slow and this is not standard when connecting wirelessly.

Many things can affect the wireless such as number of devices and distance from the modem however unfortunately I can’t offer technical support to efibre broadband issues from here but I would strongly advise contacting eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260 (option 0).[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]

Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paul74910

Hi Paul74910

I agree, speeds of 5mb wirelessly are very slow and this is not standard when connecting wirelessly.

Many things can affect the wireless such as number of devices and distance from the modem however unfortunately I can’t offer technical support to efibre broadband issues from here but I would strongly advise contacting eircom broadband technical support on 1890260260 (option 0).

Thanks

Al
    Its just a marketing thing with eircom trying to get you hooked with a free upgrade and then it works worse when its done. A load of rubbish and I myself will never ever go back to eircom especially with a three strike ban in place for downloading!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Its just a marketing thing with eircom trying to get you hooked with a free upgrade and then it works worse when its done. A load of rubbish and I myself will never ever go back to eircom especially with a three strike ban in place for downloading!!!!!!

Doubling the previously maximum attainable speed is worse? :confused:
    The wireless problems could well be something particular to the OPs house, neighbour using conflicting channels or cordless phone or something. It could be a terrible gateway. We don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Paul74910

The only advice I can offer is to contact technical support as these speeds are indeed poor, there is obviously an issue which needs resolving however I'm unable to do this from here.

Al

Advertisement