Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appeal on legal grounds

Options
  • 12-07-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

What sort of legal grounds could apply for the supreme court to accept that they have jurisdiction over a circuit court appeal judged in the high court? An appeal of an appeal from circuit to high to supreme.

A: If the order from a high court would be that one side loses on all points but that same side gets a financial compensation for damages would that not on its own be a ground? What law would apply to that?

B: What if a judge would assume that land bought outright with no right of way or infringements by MR A would have belonged to MR B all the time that MR B owned the land next to it? What if there is no proof of ownership by anyone else but the purchaser of this land MR A and the judge states it belongs and had belonged to the other party in that dispute MR B?
    What laws or grounds would that judge ignore?

What if this judge then orders the p.r.a.i. to amend to his order?

C: What if a judge assumes that a track ran over land and had been running over land for time immemorial where no such prove is given and a photo on the ground shows no sign of any track, no tractor imprints nor any difference whatsoever with surrounding grass, and the judge assumes that from an areal point, if one were to take an areal photo, a track would be visible and therefore this track would have been used continuously for time immemorial?

What if two or more witnesses were to claim that this track did not run over this land in the past?

D: What if evidence from land registry were to state that a plot, with a house on it, was made a few yards bigger to accommodate for say a carport and it is accepted that this would suggest that land registry was very accurate in their measurements. But when a judge determines that land registry was wrong when they drew the plot as it does not resemble the recent situation, what error would that judge make? What grounds would there be to appeal the appeal?

E: What if a circuit court judge errors and when this is appealed the high court judge just takes this error as correct without checking the facts? And this judge dismisses the claim?

F: What if a judge ignores facts based beyond doubt on the law of physics or maths or similar, carried forward by a non official expert in that field, (who is an expert in a similar field) contradicting a certified 'expert' in that field who skewes reality and hides facts. What if the judge states that the non official expert cannot be right as he has not got the right certification and the 'expert' is certified and therefore must be right. What if the so called expert on other side has been caught out during cross examination but the judge simply sticks to the certified expert.
    What grounds of appeal would there be in this high court appeal to appeal this appeal further to the supreme court?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

What sort of legal grounds could apply for the supreme court to accept that they have jurisdiction over a circuit court appeal judged in the high court?

A: If the order from a high court would be that one side loses on all points but that same side gets a financial compensation for damages would that not on its own be a ground? What law would apply to that?

B: What if a judge would assume that land bought outright with no right of way or infringements would have belonged to someone else all this time where there is no proof of ownership by anyone else but the purchaser of this land?
    What laws or grounds would that judge ignore?

What if this judge then orders the p.r.a.i. to amend to his order?

C: What if a judge assumes that a track ran over land and had been running over land for time immemorial where no such prove is given and a photo on the ground shows no sign of any track, no tractor imprints nor any difference whatsoever with surrounding grass, and the judge assumes that from an areal point, if one were to take an areal photo, a track would be visible and therefore this track would have been used continuously for time immemorial?

What if two or more witnesses were to claim that this track did not run over this land in the past?

D: What if evidence from land registry were to state that a plot, with a house on it, was made a few yards bigger to accommodate for say a carport and it is accepted that this would suggest that land registry was very accurate in their measurements. But when a judge determines that land registry was wrong when they drew the plot as it does not resemble the recent situation, what error would that judge make? What grounds would there be to appeal the appeal?

E: What if a circuit court judge errors and when this is appealed the high court judge just takes this error as correct without checking the facts? And this judge dismisses the claim?

F: What if a judge ignores facts based beyond doubt on the law of physics or maths or similar, carried forward by a non expert in that field, contradicting a certified 'expert' in that field who skewes reality and hides facts. What if the judge states that the non expert cannot be right as he is a non expert and the 'expert' is certified and therefore must be right.
    What grounds of appeal would there be in this high court appeal to appeal this appeal further to the supreme court?

:confused:

One should ask ones lawyers.

But just to deal with one issue expert evidence. Any person can give evidence to a court as to facts they witnessed, the court can give any weight it believes should be given to that evidence. If a person want to give expert evidence then that person must have expertise acceptable to the court. If two people give evidence on sat statistics, say one is a professor of the subject in say UCD, say has written 3 textbooks in the area and multiple peer reviewed articles. Say the other did a 2 week course with the University of Mumbo Jumbo, well the judge may prefer the evidence of the first witness. Say the judge is factually incorrect, well he has not made an error in law but in fact, certain appeals allow a full rehearing in relation to fact and law, other appeals only allow the Court to deal with errors of law, in other words the court is usually not allowed to upset the findings of fact in the lower court.

You story says two judges one circuit and the second high court, multiple witness a number of qualified lawyers all got very simple facts and basic law wrong. That I find difficult to believe. I could understand and accept, if it was difficult concepts or untested law.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Infosys, you frequently post as the first responder, what is the purpose of pressing the 'Quote' button when nobody else has yet responded?

Do we really need to see the OP's post twice before reading your response?

coylemj wrote: »
    Infosys, you frequently post as the first responder, what is the purpose of pressing the 'Quote' button when nobody else has yet responded?

Do we really need to see the OP's post twice before reading your response?

Well yes, I usually post from a iPhone, it allows me to easily read the OP, to make sure I don't misquote, or misunderstand sorry if it pisses you off, I will of course stop :-). You can f course block me if the effort of reading the OP's post wrecks your head.

BTW you don't actually have to read the OP's post twice if you don't want to that would be just silly now wouldn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

infosys wrote: »
    BTW you don't actually have to read the OP's post twice if you don't want to that would be just silly now wouldn't it.

I never said that we have to 'read' the OP's post twice, I said we have to 'see' it twice because people like you press the quote button and cause the text to be repeated for no good purpose.

Overuse of the quote button means that people (you included) who access boards on mobile devices have to unnecessarily scroll through more pages than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sunny Dublin

So you do not know any of the answers? You just like to be the first to post somewhere? Not much info, sys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So you do not know any of the answers? You just like to be the first to post somewhere? Not much info, sys.

To his credit, he didn't set out to answer your questions nor does he say he will attempt to. If you feel that a judge has erred with facts and law in your case then a good lawyer should see to it that it is remedied, if their professional opinion feels an appeal is so warranted.

So where are the good lawyers on this site? I asked these 6 questions so they would be answered, but no answers are given. We are looking at erred law here, not facts. Is the quiz to hard for you? Go on give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So where are the good lawyers on this site? I asked these 6 questions so they would be answered, but no answers are given. We are looking at erred law here, not facts. Is the quiz to hard for you? Go on give it a try.

Probably out playing golf on a day like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I'm just looking for a bit of clarification here. This is an appeal to an appeal you're talking about? E.g. it started in the Circuit and was appealed in the High court - and then you want it to go to the Supreme Court?

There are very limited circumstances in which that can occur no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

The forum rules prohibit giving of legal advice but apart from that, your questions are very difficult to answer with any accuracy at all but I would say the following:

A. Getting damages despite losing the case is not in and of itself a ground for appeal.

B. I can't make head nor tail of that one.

C. That is a matter of fact. If this fact were to have a bearing on the outcome of the case, it is conceivable that this could be a ground for appeal but you would not be allowed to introduce new evidence of this fact into an appeal on a whim. Permission from the court must be obtained and there are tests that must be complied with in doing so.

D. Land Registry records are conclusive proof of ownership but are not proof of size or area of a folio/piece of land.

E. If the High Court judge accepts the point, then it would be because he / she has reviewed the evidence and merely come to the same conclusion as the CC Judge.

F. If you claim that an expert witness has hidden or falsified claims, then it would have been up to your Barrister to expose those issues on cross-examination.

Ultimately, you appear to be involved in a land law case that began in the Circuit Court and which was then appealed to High Court which you seemingly feel you wish to appeal to the Supreme Court. You should have had a solicitor acting for you all along and if you have not had a solicitor, I would bet my house on the reason for you being where you are now, is because of not having engaged a professional. If I could answer all of your queries with one piece of advice, it would be for you to get a solicitor. Immediately.

Edit: Also, if you are appealing to the Supreme Court, it must be on a point of law, not fact...

• Advertisement

No wonder you lost I answered one of your questions and explained why your witness was not accepted. So you just don't like the answer you are getting. Have you thought instead of all the other people being wrong maybe just maybe it's you.

Also no one can answer any of your questions with any degree of certainty with out reading at least the pleadings. Is that enough info for you.

From your post I see no errors of law, if you want a proper answer to your question ask a solicitor to send all papers to a barrister for an opinion please also enclose cheque for his work.

If you want free random advice from the Internet, then of course if that's what you have based your case on so far no wonder you are appealing.

BTW it is against the rules of this forum to give legal advice.

Blueythebear found something.
    Point for Bluey.

So anyone else? Go on give it a try.

Advertisement