Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish on beach

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the rant but can anyone explain why anyone would think it ok to leave a pile of crap on the beach?

I was walking down the beach yesterday evening enjoying the last of the sun. A group of about 15 adults all stood up and walked towards the beach exit. They left behind piles of litter. Scattered around were beer bottles, chip wrappers and all kinds of other junk.

While afterwards i thought i should have confronted the group but at the time they made me feel a little nervous.

There was also a lot of litter scattered around where other groups had been sat too.

Its such a shame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

This always amazes me too. People in their droves going to scenic places because of their beauty and doing their upmost to render it ugly. they'd be unhappy to find it in that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There's a sign going into the Avondale House estate that best sums it up: Please leave nothing behind and only take memories away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

7 of us were on a photowalk on Thursday evening. 2 of the places we went to were Seapoint which is a popular swimming place and the 40 foot, another popular swimming location. In both places we saw litter. At Seapoint it was strewn everywhere whereas at the 40 foot it was piled in a heap in one spot. It is amazing how people treat every location in this country. Litter can be seen everywhere, not just at our busy beauty spots. And it is not just children or teenagers causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Anyone remember the big drive against litter years ago?
    At the time it was socially unacceptable to drop anything (except for cigarette butt ends). Either your mates you give you a ribbing or your mother/father would give you a swift one across the back of the head.

As to the South beach - rottten, been going for early morning swims there and normally as I walk back to the arches I have ended up taking some random litter with me back to the bags at the bridge. And that is what really gets me - there are bright green bags there - you have to pass them - are none of these numpties opening their eyes or do they just not care?

Clearly either we need a big drive again to raise it in the public domain or we simply need the appliance of the law and on the spot fines being handed out...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I wish there was someone there tht would fine poeple.

An idea i have is....

Have a load of bin bags printed with somethig like "keep greystones beaches litter free" and walk aeound handing them out to groups of people on the beach. At the same time talk to them about the campaign running to keep the beach litter free and ask them to fill the bags with their rubbish and leave them under the bridge on the way out.

Think it will help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yes it's a great idea in principle. However you know follows? People will go up there with household rubbish. Have seen that before when three trouts was cleaned up. The current litter is disgusting campaign is on the right track. A campaign in Australia depicting people throwing garbage around their home at a BBQ was very successful in stigmatizing the activity and changed people's attitudes. I always think the park scene in Anchorman is a good portrayal of how it used to be in US also.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Jimjay wrote: »
    Sorry for the rant but can anyone explain why anyone would think it ok to leave a pile of crap on the beach?

I was walking down the beach yesterday evening enjoying the last of the sun. A group of about 15 adults all stood up and walked towards the beach exit. They left behind piles of litter. Scattered around were beer bottles, chip wrappers and all kinds of other junk.

While afterwards i thought i should have confronted the group but at the time they made me feel a little nervous.

There was also a lot of litter scattered around where other groups had been sat too.

Its such a shame.

I was on the South Beach for the first time in years on Thursday evening last and was shocked to see the litter left behind. By the looks of things there a litter warden would pay for themselves in no time with the number of fines they would hand out!
    On another note, myself and my wife went for a snorkel on saturday morning. We got in at the little beach below the La Touche and pottered around to the beginning of the South Beach. After seeing the litter on the beach on thursday night I was expecting a complete dumping ground to greet us but was surprised that the worst thing I saw was a paint brush and a few cans. The water was crystal clear and it was fun watching a couple of crabs having a go at each other for their little bit of territory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Its everywhere, the normally pristine conditions down at Mahermore beach have been ruined. Disposal BBQ's, charcoal, nappies left behind. Discgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

Its simply because people don't give a flying f**k. The council then come along and clean it up at the cost of the tax payer and then everyone complains about the cost of cleaning the rubbish!! I had a bbq yesterday in a nearby park with a disposable using a purpose built bbq put there by the council. I left it to cool down and went for a walk as there was no rubbish bins around and couldn't put it in the car as it was too hot. I came back from the walk and a park ranger approached me as I was picking up the used bbq, he thanked me for doing so and politely informed me that I would have been fined if I didn't. There was a huge cleanup operation in the same park last week as the smell became unbearable, 2 dead dogs were found in an old fridge, bin liners full of domestic rubbish, nappies and disposable barbeques!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dubjackeen

Why don't you name the "nearby park"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Solutions are simple enough;
    1. Lots of bins provided, but with small openings so that items have to put in one at a time (to prevent locals dumping their household waste).
    2. A litter warden who is not afraid to confront and fine people.
    3. Disposable BBQs should be banned or heavily taxed like plastic bags.
    4. Refundable deposits on glass bottles and aluminium cans.
    5. Vote for councillors on the basis of what measures they support for the benefit of the community, not what party they belong to. Otherwise there is no incentive for them to bother addressing litter or any other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It is everywhere.

Luckily in Bray they put out lots more bins when the sun is shining. That's the policy. And they have cleaners going out on weekends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Spokeswoman for Fingal cc quoted in the Irish Times this morn saying some people have taken to burying ! their filth in the sand instead of using the bins.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Spokeswoman for Fingal cc quoted in the Irish Times this morn saying some people have taken to burying ! their filth in the sand instead of using the bins.:mad:

Rubbish at beaches all over Ireland has been the main topic on Talk to Joe these past few shows.
    Some places deliberately do not put bins out and it appears to work but there are 2 arguments .... for and against. I think overall it boils down to very bad human behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

once saw a mother (a 'wan') giving her little kid an ice lolly - she tore the rapper off and threw it on the ground (no need to assume what that kid's attitude to litter will be). When I remonstrated with her I was told to f off an mind my own business.

My own keeps his waste in his pocket if no bin available - in fact, for all I know he may end up a terrorist but I do know he will never, ever litter - a small parental achievement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They should rush through some legislation to implement a really hefty on-the-spot fine of say €500 and rollout some private enforcers who get commission.

Many county councils could solve their funding deficit problems in a few months and you'd never have dirty beaches again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

legrand wrote: »
    once saw a mother (a 'wan') giving her little kid an ice lolly - she tore the rapper off and threw it on the ground (no need to assume what that kid's attitude to litter will be). When I remonstrated with her I was told to f off an mind my own business.

My own keeps his waste in his pocket if no bin available - in fact, for all I know he may end up a terrorist but I do know he will never, ever litter - a small parental achievement ;)

Saw similar happening in France one summer on a river beach. Some Dutch teens were smashing bottles on the river side beach which was being used by loads of people.

The local mayor used his powers have them all arrested. A "paddy wagon" arrived along and they were all cuffed and thrown into the back by armed police.

We're WAY too soft on this kind of thing.

The fact that they were endangering other beach users by smashing glass into the sand was taken as a really serious offence.

Advertisement