Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green/red screen

Options
  • 13-07-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I'm assuming this is the right forum. Finished building my gaming rig. Installed some essentials. K-lite codec,iTunes and steam etc. havnt played any games yet but sometimes the screen will go green and red. It might flash green or blue or pink for a second but then it comes back with green and red and then after awhile another flash and then back to normal. My monitor is my tv screen and is connected by HDMI. Using the sapphire hd7950. Using the highest res I think whatever that is again because it is what was reccomended. I've searched around the web and seen that a cable could be loose but I'm not sure.

Also anyone have an idea about Internet speeds. Using my dongle from my older computer(802.11 ralink usb wireless lan card) drivers are all up to date(including the dongle,MB and GPU) Did a speed test. Got 0.25Mbps download speed and .01 upload speed. Used to get around 10Mbps and can't remember the upload. I've that fibre optic stuff that's been introduced. So far no improvement wirelessly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

So no one has any ideas? Fixed the Internet connection issue but the screen thing persists. Things I've tried

-Uninstalling and reinstalling the card through device manager
    -Uninstalling and reinstalling the card physically removing and then putting it back into the computer.
    -updating the drivers
    -uninstalling the new drivers and installing an older one.
    -Replacing my HDMI cable with a new HDMI cable(in case it was faulty)
    I'm seriously out of ideas now. The only other thing I think it could be is my monitor. It's this http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=gb&ctn=37PFL5604H/12 but I don't think it can be the problem. My old computer worked fine with it through VGA.
    New card doesn't have VGA tho. It's a sapphire hd7950 boost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sounds like what happens when the connection is loose.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Sounds like what happens when the connection is loose.

Which connection tho. I've taken the card out and put it back in twice. Weirdest thing is that it doesn't happen at all when I'm playing medieval 2 total war but happens whn I'm doing nothing. I think it may have something to do with screen res as mediveal 2 runs at a really low screen res 1024 x 768 in comparison to the reccomended 1920 x 1800 and I can't run the comp at 1024 x 768 normal as the screen gets really small with it mostly being black border.

Sorry I should have clarified.

Usually the dvi connection on the back of the card or monitor. I don't use the hdmi.

Sorry I should have clarified.

Usually the dvi connection on the back of the card or monitor. I don't use the hdmi.
    That's what I was thinking you meant. Unless the port itself is damaged. The cable itself isn't loose. Even bought a longer cable to make sure there wasnt any strain.

I don't see how this would be the problem tho if I can just alt tab from a game to the desktop and it fixes it for awhile. Also I can run medieval 2 all day at the smaller resolution and I won't get the problem.
    I'm starting to think I might need a new monitor. I don't know why tho. VGA to VGA used to work with my old computer. Shame there's no VGA slot on my GPU to try it out.

• Advertisement

I think it may have something to do with screen res as mediveal 2 runs at a really low screen res 1024 x 768 in comparison to the reccomended 1920 x 1800 and I can't run the comp at 1024 x 768 normal as the screen gets really small with it mostly being black border.

I assume you mean 1920x1080. That's the native resolution of your monitor and the max res that hdmi 2.0 can carry at 60fps.

I assume you mean 1920x1080. That's the native resolution of your monitor and the max res that hdmi 2.0 can carry at 60fps.

Hmmm. I lowered the res to 1600x1200 and it seems to be working now. 2 or 3 hours without it happening anyway

1600x1200 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Your screen is a 16:9 aspect is it not. That res should not fit your screen properly.

You should be using 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

1600x1200 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Your screen is a 16:9 aspect is it not. That res should not fit your screen properly.

You should be using 1920x1080 @ 60hz.

I was it doesn't work. That's why I'm using 1600x1200 because it does

Try updating the tv's software/drivers maybe.

Do you know what the refresh rate is on it?

• Advertisement

Try updating the tv's software/drivers maybe.

Do you know what the refresh rate is on it?

Tried that to begin with to make sure they were up to date and they seem to be completely up to date. Not sure of the refresh rate

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What model motherboard do you have? If it has onboard graphics, test the machine with the graphics card uninstalled. If the problem doesnt persist, you've narrowed it down to a GPU that needs to be RMA'd.

Overheal wrote: »
    What model motherboard do you have? If it has onboard graphics, test the machine with the graphics card uninstalled. If the problem doesnt persist, you've narrowed it down to a GPU that needs to be RMA'd.

The asrock zh77 which as far as I know does have onboard graphics. I've heard sapphire have a notoriously ****ty service when it comes to repairs etc.
    Anyway there is no need now. If I change the screen res to 1600x1200 I don't get the problem anymore

Advertisement