Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sailing dinghy advice

• 13-07-2013 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭

This may start some discussion, but I am looking for some advice.
    I have been out of the dinghy scene for a while, but it never really left me. I have restored a few older mirror dinghies during recent years, but mainly sailed on keelboats, both cruising and racing.

While the keelboats are great, I am looking to get back into dinghies. I am looking for something I can primarily teach a couple of people to sail in, but would be good if it could be used for racing. Nothing too serious, mixed fleet regatta stuff would be ideal.
    I have a laser one which I am in the process of trying to sell to fund this new "undertaking".

Now my question is, has anyone got an opinion of what to get? I am thinking along the lines of a laser2 or fireball.
    I am trying to stay away from the wooden fireballs, but I am being drawn to the fibreglass hulls and wooden deck ones.
    I think the wood adds a bit extra to the look, but also the people I will teach (before they go and do their levels), can be thought maintainence etc, which is as important in my view as being able to actually sail.
    But the all fibreglass laser is also appealing.

Has anyone got any thoughts to throw into the mix? Is there another option that I have over looked?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd pick a fireball over a laser II any day.
    There's just nothing beautiful about a laser II.

A 505 would be nice too - very nice.
    420 or 470 ?

Of that lot, the 420 would probably be easiest to sail - all the rest are quite high performance boats for beginners.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As a beginner, I got to go out on a 420, a 470, a catarmaran, a laser vago and a GP14

I most enjoyed the 420/470, but those require crew on trapezes if you are going to maximise the potential of the boat, so not suited to beginners.

I loved both the 420 and 470 and the experience, and it gave me something to aspire to.

I did my start sailing in a laser 16 which was intended to be a competitor to the 420, but is too low in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Yeah I am looking at something fast. Have sailed many boats without trapeze, so looking for something different.
    The intention would be to progress from light winds, get to know the boat and get back into it. Then have the trapeze etc as we progress.

I know I wouldnt be conpeditive from the start but wont to have that to aspire too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My first question would be what are the fleets like in the races you'd be racing against?

If you can pick a boat type that already has a decent sized fleet in the races or one that's growing you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of racing. A fireball might be perfect for you, but if there's only one other fireball and everyone else is in laser 2s you're far more likely to struggle with motivation. There may also be a few unusual classes that are popular locally and therefore a perfect option.

Not to sure. I am stuck in a situation where i commute between dublin and wexford so could use any fleet in betwern. I have a sadler32, and race that in a mixed fleet. Wud like to do the lambay race in that fleet. Recon i cud do quite well with the right boat. Exhileration is my motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r27

Sounds like a fireball would be ideal , or a GP would also be great not to tricky to sail , great fleet and like the fireball spares are easy to come across unlike the laser 2

I am actually looking at the fireballs alot more. They seem so technical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

I had a fireball in my teens and they are great fun especially downwind in a blow. Technical boats with speed. My friend has just bought a kevlar hull with wooden decks and boat looks lovely. Price wise their Not bad for an older decent boat and the fleets seem to stay steady around the country. Main fleet in dublin is dun laoghaire but theres a few in howth aswell now. Fireballs dont do the lambay. Theres no fireball class start either in howth they race on py.

Thanks for the replys. I think i will be getting a fireball. I have had a look at a few and they seem to be the way to go alright......

Advertisement