Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this heat wave last much longer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

aboyro wrote: »
    Interesting one but i have a question for all members??

Where are the wasps gone??? i have yet to see one this year!!! as for flys, how come they can get in a crack in the door but can'nt get out an open fukin window???????

As far as i know, The pollen on biofuel plants is bad for them. Herbicides really arent helping either. As bad as wasps are If they and bees decline too much, we are in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

As far as i know, The pollen on biofuel plants is bad for them. Herbicides really arent helping either. As bad as wasps are If they and bees decline too much, we are in big trouble.

Absolutely.

A world without honeybees would also mean a world without fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds.

Nearly one-third of the world's crops are dependent on honeybees for pollination.

I have noticed a big decline in bees and especially wasps in the last 3 years, and some folk might say, great, "i hate wasps" but they all have a function and this decline right here will soon show itself in a big way if farmers keep purchasing Monsanto's sh!te.

Who killed the honey bee ? well farmers will say it wasn't them, but they will eventually blame it on a huge corporation called monsanto.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stonebob

according to NZ weather guy michael ring who s always right.. not like met eireann ..its hot until the end of august maybe dipping below 20 some days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

stonebob wrote: »
    according to NZ weather guy michael ring who s always right.. not like met eireann ..its hot until the end of august maybe dipping below 20 some days

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

stonebob wrote: »

Not sure if serious?

Ken Ring? The same guy who predicted a scorcher of a summer for 2011 which then turned out to be the coldest Irish summer in 50 years?

I suppose Today FM and the Irish tabloids only mention Ken when some of his random guesses happen to coincide with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Not sure if serious?

Ken Ring? The same guy who predicted a scorcher of a summer for 2011 which then turned out to be the coldest Irish summer in 50 years?

I suppose Today FM and the Irish tabloids only mention Ken when some of his random guesses happen to coincide with reality.

Why are you ignoring the Iceland volcanic eruption of May 2011? A eruption that close to the summer obviously is going effect the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Why are you ignoring the Iceland volcanic eruption of May 2011? A eruption that close to the summer obviously is going effect the weather.

Would you mind explaining how a minor eruption ruined our summer in 2011?
    What made him get Spring and early summer so wrong this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

And Ring didn't predict it.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining how a minor eruption ruined our summer in 2011?
    What made him get Spring and early summer so wrong this year?

Learn the science i'm not here to educate you. You've already made up your mind so there is no point in me trying to convince you.

Learn the science i'm not here to educate you. You've already made up your mind so there is no point in me trying to convince you.

I've been learning the science for many years and still cannot see how a minor eruption about 1,500km away, can completely reverse 3 months of predicted weather here. If you wouldn't mind explaining it to me, I'd really appreciate it!

As for making my mind up, I've looked at what he's predicted for this year, and compared it to reality, and so far, except for the last week, he's been wrong. The evidence does not support the assertion that he's even a mediocre long range forecaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

For the person who said Michael ring no Michael ring is a political figure in fg whereas Ken is the weather dudes name

I've been learning the science for many years and still cannot see how a minor eruption about 1,500km away, can completely reverse 3 months of predicted weather here. If you wouldn't mind explaining it to me, I'd really appreciate it!

As for making my mind up, I've looked at what he's predicted for this year, and compared it to reality, and so far, except for the last week, he's been wrong. The evidence does not support the assertion that he's even a mediocre long range forecaster.

Even small volcanic eruptions could have a big impact on global climate, new research suggests.
    A relatively small eruption in the summer of 2011 produced gases such as sulfur dioxide that reached high in the atmosphere and spread throughout the Northern Hemisphere, combining with water vapor and forming particles that reflect light and prevent it from reaching Earth, thus potentially resulting in a cooling effect, according to a study detailed in the July 6 2012 issue of the journal Science.

Is this good enough?

Even small volcanic eruptions could have a big impact on global climate, new research suggests.
    A relatively small eruption in the summer of 2011 produced gases such as sulfur dioxide that reached high in the atmosphere and spread throughout the Northern Hemisphere, combining with water vapor and forming particles that reflect light and prevent it from reaching Earth, thus potentially resulting in a cooling effect, according to a study detailed in the July 6 2012 issue of the journal Science.

Is this good enough?

I'm afraid taking out of context snippets from a yahoo news article won't do!
    That slight cooling might be in the order of a fraction of a degree and doesn't explain how the Iceland eruption caused the weather patterns over Ireland to be so different to what was predicted by Mr Ring. That article is also referring to the Nabro eruption, which was much more powerful than the Eyja eruption and capable of putting sulphur dioxide higher into the stratosphere, producing the cooling effects mentioned. The Eyja eruption didn't manage that.

Anyway, the Eyja eruption occurred in 2010, so you'll have to find another excuse for why the 2011 summer was so far off what was predicted!

I'm afraid taking out of context snippets from a yahoo news article won't do!
    That slight cooling might be in the order of a fraction of a degree and doesn't explain how the Iceland eruption caused the weather patterns over Ireland to be so different to what was predicted by Mr Ring. That article is also referring to the Nabro eruption, which was much more powerful than the Eyja eruption and capable of putting sulphur dioxide higher into the stratosphere, producing the cooling effects mentioned. The Eyja eruption didn't manage that.

Anyway, the Eyja eruption occurred in 2010, so you'll have to find another excuse for why the 2011 summer was so far off what was predicted!

Its not a Yahoo Article. Pathetic response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%ADmsv%C3%B6tn May 2011

The Eyja eruption was 2010 different year different time.

I refer you to what the journal of science said again.

Even small volcanic eruptions could have a big impact on global climate, new research suggests

You trying to say this did not effect our summer?

On 23 May 2011, the eruption was releasing about 2000 tons of ash per second, totalling 120 million tons in the first 48 hours.[18] The 2011 eruption of Grímsvötn thus qualified as at least 4 (VEI4) on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI), releasing more ash in the first 24 hours than Eyjafjallajökull released during its entire 2010 eruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

i sick of lads quoting this chancer, the eruption was in 2010, this was his prediction jan2011, http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/moon-reader-predicting-a-long-hot-summer-26611051.html

compare that to met eireann's monthly records, http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

i sick of lads quoting this chancer, the eruption was in 2010, this was his prediction jan2011, http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/moon-reader-predicting-a-long-hot-summer-26611051.html

compare that to met eireann's monthly records, http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

A small volcano eruption does have an impact on the weather, it could be immediate, but it doesn't last forever.

There was a Volcano eruption in Iceland (May 2011) Been so close to summer it obviously had a effect on weather patterns for 2011

Ken Ring is a side issue.

Its not a Yahoo Article. Pathetic response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%ADmsv%C3%B6tn May 2011

The Eyja eruption was 2010 different year different time.

I refer you to what the journal of science said again.

Even small volcanic eruptions could have a big impact on global climate, new research suggests

You trying to say this did not effect our summer?

On 23 May 2011, the eruption was releasing about 2000 tons of ash per second, totalling 120 million tons in the first 48 hours.[18] The 2011 eruption of Grímsvötn thus qualified as at least 4 (VEI4) on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI), releasing more ash in the first 24 hours than Eyjafjallajökull released during its entire 2010 eruption.

Try to understand here.

You're claiming that that a small eruption altered our weather in the summer of 2011.

Your justification is an article that refers to a more powerful eruption, Nabro, that ejected gas and liquids into the stratosphere with the help of strong monsoon induced convection, where it circulated the globe and causing the largest reading of stratosheric aerosols ever recorded, and perhaps, a tiny fraction of a degree of cooling (it didn't alter the jet stream and cause a Greenland high pressure)

Neither the Eyja or Grimsvotn eruptions were as powerful (i.e., it was too small!) as Nabro, did not have the aid of the monsoon convection, occurred on a very different part of the planet and wouldn't have produced the effects discussed in the article, which, as mentioned, doesn't include an altered jet stream and Greenland blocking anyway, which have been the problem during the summers of 2007-2012.

Besides, you're ignoring all the other stuff Mr Ring has gotten completely wrong too, especially from this year, all of which can be compared to the Met Eireann data as blackbird99 has shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

BX 19 wrote: »
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.....

It is, if you are wired into said "man-made time clock".

In the real world, it gets bright and then it gets dark, who needs a clock in the first place ?. all they do is make you rush as to be out of breath and late.

When i hear the word clock, my brain see's alarm setting, time, needs to be set for blah blah o clock, no thanks, clocks are banned from my abode thankfully. No bells or timers either. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I hate this weather, I get why people enjoy this weather (I had my nice winter, it's only fair summer lovers get there sun)

for me it;s too hot to do anything, I had change my t-shirt 4 times yesterday.and 4 showers 3 showers in less 4 hours, cause I was way to hot

I just hate feeling so hot, sweaty and sticky all the times, I hate the feeling, I hate when t-shirt get stuck to my back

those fly stupid bites, swaps, bees and coming to house and I can not get to sleep cause to beeping hot , window open , non-stop drinking and I get really light head in heat and with no sleep, I turn to nasty grumpy old B***** , who I really hate lol

Also My dog hate heat as Much as I do , I had keep changing my dogs water every 2 hours and making sure he okay now and again and not spending to much times in the heat, Walking early in the morning before and late evening , I clad to see it's getting dark early now too,

The worst thing about yesterday ,it we had are In-laws coming to my house for the first time, so we had to invite number of people to are house to meet them, my house was packed and it was hot as Hell. (We could not even drink beer cause as they don't drink, we might have offended them if we did)

That rants over

Some told me that some places will be getting mid 30's next week, any truth in that ?

I had feeling we would be getting this heatwave 10 years after 2003 huge heatwave , that killed me, well a part of me anyway .

So far as this heatwave been longer the 2003 heatwave or might be, might not get as high 2003, I do think it's be longer heatwave then 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tindie wrote: »
    Some told me that some places will be getting mid 30's next week, any truth in that ?

Ugh. There'd probably be people loving that.

Reminds me of the Bill Hicks quip : "Isn't it great? Every day - hot and sunny!"

"Yeah! If youre a ****in' lizard!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FAH

I was on hols fishing for the last week on the east coast, all week plumes of jellyfish moving inshore until yesterday following the warm current then it all stopped means theres a cold front moving in, I reckon it will hit on Wednesday but only a drop of a few degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

The Iceland volcano was a VEI 4

Below is the list of active volcano's happening now. pick one, check the local weather and check weather stations further away. You will find that no big temperature dip or raise is to be found.

http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html

Grímsvötn stopped quickly. This volcano in Eastern Russia and has been erupting from Nov 12. This alone has pumped more weather affecting gases and ash than Grímsvötn did. It has slowed allot, still ongoing. I would be interested to read some research papers that show how a VEI 4 eruption affects the weather, covering 1000's of square Km.

http://www.volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=300240

http://www.airpano.com/360Degree-VirtualTour.php?3D=Kamchatka-Volcano-Plosky-Tolbachik

http://news.discovery.com/earth/new-views-of-tolbachik-eruption-130613.htm

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/04/stunning-pictures-of-plosky-tolbachik.html

The summer we are in is a weather related issue and not a volcano related issue, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

i hate the weather, the weather forecast said that there was going to be a heavy rainshower in my area yesterday and i waited patiently but it never happened. I don't have any problems sleeping though, i sleep in the nip so i doesn't be that warm.

You cant do anything about the weather but what you can do is buy a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Edz87 wrote: »
    You cant do anything about the weather but what you can do is buy a fan.

If check out the ASDA website all fans are out of stock as it for local tesco and argos. all out of stock!

off to watch my ghost story on yotube, maybe they make feel cooler lol

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tindie wrote: »
    If check out the ASDA website all fans are out of stock as it for local tesco and argos. all out of stock!

off to watch my ghost story on yotube, maybe they make feel cooler lol

Go to Homebase...they still had loads yesterday. They also have aircon units on offer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

I lived in greece for a while, with no aircon - found going to bed with a slightly damp sheet as a cover helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

According to met eireann it's here until August with the possibility of breaking the 33c record set in 1887!
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/heatwave-to-continue-into-august-29418322.html

• Advertisement

Question for the Heat-Haters :) I (kind of ) get why you might hate the heat in the day time, getting sweaty and everything, but cant you appreciate the loveliness of sitting outdoors of an evening, just chilling? Ive been outside this evening and its very pleasant ( to me anyway).

Just curious :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement