Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this heat wave last much longer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭briany

aboyro wrote: »
    as for flys, how come they can get in a crack in the door but can'nt get out an open fukin window???????

That's bad but daddy longlegs might take the cake for their show of incredible intelligence and physical acumen flying in a gap of maybe a only a few centimetres when the light is on and then really let themselves down with their usual slump back into laughable insectian retardation. You don't even have to have the light on to know they're there. They'll let you know with that papery flitty flit noise as they bang around the room where the walls meet the roof, occasionally swooping down to fly near or into your head when they presumably sense you're about to fall asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Jake1 wrote: »
    Question for the Heat-Haters :) I (kind of ) get why you might hate the heat in the day time, getting sweaty and everything, but cant you appreciate the loveliness of sitting outdoors of an evening, just chilling? Ive been outside this evening and its very pleasant ( to me anyway).

Just curious :)

No, for two reasons. To get an evening like that you first need a HOT day, then following that type of evening you get an uncomfortable night :p

Bought one of these 380312111126 on Ebay as we're expected to get another blast later in the week. Don't know if they work or not, soon find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

For me this is the perfect weather. 20 to 25 degrees is nice to walk around but a bit cold for me to lie at the beach, especially with a breeze. 25 to 30 is great for this, can also still walk around and do things fine but I do start to sweat a little. After 30 is gets hot, especially after about 33 I just want to not do anything and just lie there. I'm built for this since I'm of south east European descent (although I'm not particularly dark at all).

In contrast, I also love a good crisp -10 in winter. For me I feel much more comfortable than in 3 degrees with rain. In general, I don't do well with the usual damp muck you get in Ireland. I seem to be allergic to mould and that sort of general stuff, and it gets really bad whenever there's a damp spell. Especially before trying to sleep I start sneezing like mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Anybody who thinks that Ken Ring is always right is probably Ken Ring.

As for the weather - humidity matters. In Tipp yesterday it was 23 at 11 pm, probably 27 in the bedroom. There was no breeze. Here in Howth the sea breezes have picked up from the east. It's a nice 16. The curtains are twitching with the breeze and it's a lovely night.

If you think you like heat try London. 25 at the 11 pm -- but that's in the airport the city is always hotter -- and no breeze as usual except for close to the river. London's air is stagnant. I was roasting there last year. This year must be hell.

And they tend to have no air conditioning.

Temps tonight are falling off a cliff. 15 at the moment. Luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The sun is fine, the wind/breeze is fine when we get it, but the only fecking thing that does me is the humidity. Other than that i can enjoy it, but no breeze at all and a dead humid night, Nah,

And i am looking forward to the snow come this winter oh....yeah.... and all you people will be complaining because you can't handle the cold because my hand is sore...Boo Boo.

Ying/Yang

15 c as well here.but humidity is high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

Jake1 wrote: »
    Question for the Heat-Haters :) I (kind of ) get why you might hate the heat in the day time, getting sweaty and everything, but cant you appreciate the loveliness of sitting outdoors of an evening, just chilling? Ive been outside this evening and its very pleasant ( to me anyway).

Just curious :)

i'd much prefer sitting on the sofa watching lashing rain outside to be honest, much better than the feeling of my face sizzling and sweat dripping from my beard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

worked in kitchens for 10years so the heat is no problem,it is the careless behaviour it brings out i dont like

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you're hoping for a break from the heat (in most regions) there appears to be some possibility of a break around the 24th for two or three days. It would be even better if some substantial rain could come with that, maps have the look of some heavy showers or thunderstorms along a cold front. But the problem is that the models have been having some problems since this warm spell began with the seven to ten day time frame and so anything even further out has to be taken with considerable caution. I would imagine that even if the trend is mainly warm and dry there will be two or three brief interruptions and at least some rain, don't think it will stay bone dry all summer in other words. Hoping that the mix will satisfy most diverse interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

So much pleasanter this morning even if there isn't bright sunshine. Here in Kilkenny the last week has been like living in a bowl of hot soup, unable to think, move or sleep. The last time I was as continually unpleasantly hot, sticky and sweaty was when I was in Singapore. A friend who was in Dublin a couple of times in the last week said the heat there was completely different. Hot but bearable, unlike here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So much pleasanter this morning even if there isn't bright sunshine. Here in Kilkenny the last week has been like living in a bowl of hot soup, unable to think, move or sleep. The last time I was as continually unpleasantly hot, sticky and sweaty was when I was in Singapore. A friend who was in Dublin a couple of times in the last week said the heat there was completely different. Hot but bearable, unlike here.

Agree, was chatting to an American here in Kilkenny and they said it wouldn't want to be any hotter. Said they were glad they hadn't to work in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Anybody who thinks that Ken Ring is always right is probably Ken Ring.

the local radio station here in Cork has him on again there now,

back in january on the show he predicted 28degrees in the second week of july and heatwaves in July/August (they played the recording of the show) and now he's on giving his weather tips, while they fawn over him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

GFS this morning keen to let Azores high slip back to the..er..Azores, around 27/28th, and bring depression back to the north of us. Don't know how much salt I'll be pinching. Too far out to be gospel anyway. We hold dry and warm next 8 or 9 days at least. ECM keeps the high pretty much in situ up to day 10, when it gets a bit 'flabby'. All in all, pretty good I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finally got a hot weekend in Clare/Galway, cleaned up on Friday and Sunday, Id be loaded if we ever got decent weather in this country.

Look at the 5 day for next Friday! Booking a few days off from my real job for this one:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Try to understand here.

You're claiming that that a small eruption altered our weather in the summer of 2011.

Your justification is an article that refers to a more powerful eruption, Nabro, that ejected gas and liquids into the stratosphere with the help of strong monsoon induced convection, where it circulated the globe and causing the largest reading of stratosheric aerosols ever recorded, and perhaps, a tiny fraction of a degree of cooling (it didn't alter the jet stream and cause a Greenland high pressure)

Neither the Eyja or Grimsvotn eruptions were as powerful (i.e., it was too small!) as Nabro, did not have the aid of the monsoon convection, occurred on a very different part of the planet and wouldn't have produced the effects discussed in the article, which, as mentioned, doesn't include an altered jet stream and Greenland blocking anyway, which have been the problem during the summers of 2007-2012.

Besides, you're ignoring all the other stuff Mr Ring has gotten completely wrong too, especially from this year, all of which can be compared to the Met Eireann data as blackbird99 has shown.

For the second time.

Small volcanic eruptions could have a big impact on global climate ( research study detailed in the July 6th 2012 issue of the journal of science)

Nabro, was mentioned i know that.

Was the Grímsvötn volcano eruption too small to have dramatically changed the summer of 2011? The people who did the study obviously believed differently!!

Grímsvötn volcano It spewed ash and chemicals 15 – 20 km. (9 – 12 miles) high according to reports and available web information.

It was Iceland's largest volcano eruption in 50 years.

Chemicals and debris from this eruption no effect on the climate, at all?

volcanic ash and chemicals (aerosols) enter the stratosphere, they
    can linger for years. They reflect incoming sunlight until ultimately the aerosols gather enough moisture to form droplets that precipitate out. Before falling out, however, the thick clouds of aerosol microdroplets can linger and block out solar radiation and cause considerable cooling of the grounds below.

For the second time.

Small volcanic eruptions could have a big impact on global climate ( research study detailed in the July 6th 2012 issue of the journal of science)

Nabro, was mentioned i know that.

Was the Grímsvötn volcano eruption too small to have dramatically changed the summer of 2011? The people who did the study obviously believed differently!!

Grímsvötn volcano It spewed ash and chemicals 15 – 20 km. (9 – 12 miles) high according to reports and available web information.

It was Iceland's largest volcano eruption in 50 years.

Chemicals and debris from this eruption no effect on the climate, at all?

volcanic ash and chemicals (aerosols) enter the stratosphere, they
    can linger for years. They reflect incoming sunlight until ultimately the aerosols gather enough moisture to form droplets that precipitate out. Before falling out, however, the thick clouds of aerosol microdroplets can linger and block out solar radiation and cause considerable cooling of the grounds below.

You've just given a generic overview if the science. In fact the Icelandic volcano didn't spew enough material or - more importantly - high enough to cause any real problems. Ring was wrong because he is generally wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

You've just given a generic overview if the science. In fact the Icelandic volcano didn't spew enough material or - more importantly - high enough to cause any real problems. Ring was wrong because he is generally wrong.

The Eruption almost lasted five days (small hey?)

The 2011 eruption of Grímsvötn thus qualified as at least 4 (VEI4) on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI), releasing more ash in the first 24 hours than Eyjafjallajökull released during its entire 2010 eruption (small hey?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Explosivity_Index

Its not even about Ring. The study reached a conclusion even "small" volcano eruptions can change global climate. Iceland is right next door to us, its not as if its on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

The Eruption almost lasted five days (small hey?)

The 2011 eruption of Grímsvötn thus qualified as at least 4 (VEI4) on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI), releasing more ash in the first 24 hours than Eyjafjallajökull released during its entire 2010 eruption (small hey?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Explosivity_Index

Its not even about Ring. The study reached a conclusion even "small" volcano eruptions can change global climate. Iceland is right next door to us, its not as if its on the other side of the world.

The link below is the ash fall out for that eruption.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1306151334.png

The ash from Grímsvötn is very much heavier and falls much quicker.
    By day 3 of this eruption, the plume was at about 9 KM, the second day it was around 10-15 KM in height.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2180

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13502009

Please click on the status reports for more information from the above link.

The ash clouds can be tracked from the link below.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html

Wrong ash type, not enough ash. Most of the ash fell on vatnajokull.
    For myself Grímsvötn was small when measured against Tambora and Pinatubo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tambora

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pinatubo

These had an -0.5 to -1.0 degree cooling and lasted one year.

A VEI 7 and 6, the scale between each number makes a difference.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/47350120/The-Volcano-Explosivity-Index-(VEI)

http://geology.com/stories/13/volcanic-explosivity-index/

The met office for the UK, did not find any link between weather events and this eruption.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/latest/volcano/faq

The below link was a great read about the ash.

http://all-geo.org/volcan01010/2011/08/grimsvotn-2-plume-deposits/

Would anyone have a link to the papers that states that grimsvotn had a weather affect on Europe\Global lasting months\years.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The model consensus this morning is probably the warmest yet and the signs of "breakdown" are fading. It's going to become blazing hot again in many inland locations and warm to very warm on the coasts, from mid-week this week to at least mid-week the following week, according to just about all available guidance. Highs could be edging back up towards 30 C and in parts of Britain 32-34 C as the flow gets increasingly continentally sourced. There are even outlier maps in some model suites that show record heat potential into the mid 30s to high 30s over those same regions.

Eventually, this flow could start to develop some thunderstorm activity but in general it will probably stay dry in most places, the inland west would be favoured in the set-up likely to develop.

This heat will also spread well to the west and north and replace the current rather moderate (cool in some cases) and cloudy regime. Sea breezes on the south and east coast will likely be pleasant but rather weak in part because the Irish Sea is likely to continue a steady warming trend itself. The core of this coming hot spell is not until about Monday-Tuesday of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

looks like the heatwave is over, havent seen the sun here in Limerick since Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

NinjaK wrote: »
    looks like the heatwave is over, havent seen the sun here in Limerick since Sunday.

The price for winning the hurling. Selling your souls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So what you're saying is you didnt see any sun yesterday :D

You'll be scorched again soon enough :)

So what you're saying is you didnt see any sun yesterday :D

You'll be scorched again soon enough :)

According to MT there is NO END IN SIGHT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Sooo, as I understand it now, the east will be cooler than the west this weekend.

Was going to go to the beach in Dublin at the weekend, but I only tend to not feel cold on the beach if it's 24/25 degrees+. So, I may not bother if it's low 20s. Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Cloud was promised for the first half of the week. It's returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sooo, as I understand it now, the east will be cooler than the west this weekend.

Was going to go to the beach in Dublin at the weekend, but I only tend to not feel cold on the beach if it's 24/25 degrees+. So, I may not bother if it's low 20s. Hmmm...

A beach in Dublin will probably have some of the lowest temperatures of anywhere over the weekend. You need to go somewhere inland, midlands or the midwest, should be lovely high 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

A beach in Dublin will probably have some of the lowest temperatures of anywhere over the weekend. You need to go somewhere inland, midlands or the midwest, should be lovely high 20's.

There's some lovely beaches in the midlands alright. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭briany

alphabeat wrote: »

Wouldn't it be more correct to say 'new glacial period'? That mightn't be as catchy but we are in an ice age right now as an ice age only means Earth is cold enough to produce permanent ice sheets e.g. the polar ice caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

This might be a relatively late idea,but what helped me during the heatwave nights was turning my hot water bottle into a cold water bottle,i.e. fill it with cold water and keep it in the fridge for about 5hours before going to bed. Use it as you would use a hot water bottle-lie face down and place it on your back or put it on your pillow and place it under your head or neck.If you have a fan use it,and as others have said-don't wear anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement